Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Warning re aa vacations "memorial" (day) sale

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 4:03 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

I received an email from AA VACATIONS, they are having a sale (use MEMORIAL for promo code).
One of the big perks for booking an AA VACATION had been: (1)pricing and (2)EQDs are generally MILEAGE based.
The sale is described at:
https://www.aavacations.com/specials...-27-AAV-A|E|CY
But, in the fine print, it is noted: (bolding is mine)
Unless specified, AAdvantage® miles earned through this promotion/offer do not count toward elite-status qualification or AAdvantage Million MilerSM status. American Airlines is not responsible for products or services offered by other participating companies. For complete details about the AAdvantage® program, visit aa.com/aadvantage

I'm assuming(?) AA VACATIONS booked without the code retain all the usual perks.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I can't see that there are any Aadvantage miles being earned by the promotion , so cannot see why it would be an issue
Old May 28, 2017, 4:17 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I can't see that there are any Aadvantage miles being earned by the promotion , so cannot see why it would be an issue
AA VACATION "packages" usually include flts + hotels and (when I've booked these in the past) did give me all the usual EQM/EQD perks.
So (from my reading of the promo) if I book an AA VACATION package and add the word "MEMORIAL" in the promo code box, I'll learn the "secret" price--but NO EQMs etc.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it possible that the language quoted by the OP applies to the following sentence (from the first paragraph of the terms and conditions)?

Also, receive the standard 1,000 bonus booking miles offer when booking any AAVacation.
Old May 28, 2017, 4:44 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Is it possible that the language quoted by the OP applies to the following sentence (from the first paragraph of the terms and conditions)?
So what does the section I bolded in my post #1 refer to
1000 miles or the miles flown for the entire trip.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by nrr
So what does the section I bolded in my post #1 refer to
1000 miles or the miles flown for the entire trip.
It's ambiguous, but I have to believe the 1,000 mile bonus.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Indeed - I would read it that any of the bonus due to the promotion would be award miles only ( as per pretty much any other bonuses offered by AA )
Old May 28, 2017, 6:22 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OK, suppose I would earn flying miles!
I did a "dummy" booking, 3 nights JFK-ZRH-JFK (for 1) in BC, without promo code $2300 with promo code I save $13.77--WOW, that is a SUPER saving.
Old May 28, 2017, 6:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrr
OK, suppose I would earn flying miles!
I did a "dummy" booking, 3 nights JFK-ZRH-JFK (for 1) in BC, without promo code $2300 with promo code I save $13.77--WOW, that is a SUPER saving.
"" indeed.

The great, morphing "warning" about this promo.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:25 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I priced out a trip at $5400 (business class to London with throwaway hotel for 3 nights). The super-special "MEMORIAL" code would save me a whopping $6.02. I priced out the same trip the next day and now the super-special code saves me $1.93. So we can conclude that the super-special bonus code is variable and it saves you (rounding off to the nearest whole percentage point) somewhere between Zero and Zero dollars.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:36 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I priced out a trip at $5400 (business class to London with throwaway hotel for 3 nights). The super-special "MEMORIAL" code would save me a whopping $6.02. I priced out the same trip the next day and now the super-special code saves me $1.93. So we can conclude that the super-special bonus code is variable and it saves you (rounding off to the nearest whole percentage point) somewhere between Zero and Zero dollars.
I was being critical of a $13.77 saving--this amount is GIGANTIC ($2300 vs $1.93 for $5400).
PS: For ZRH, many of the hotels near the airport are (relatively) NEW and pretty nice IMHO.
Old May 29, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Perhaps this is warning against confusing "award" miles (RDM) with EQM? I think I've seen similar warnings elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.