Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on MCO>TYO and PVG>MCO booking

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold; Bonvoy Gold; HHonors Diamond; Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Advice on MCO>TYO and PVG>MCO booking

I've searched FT and don't see anything definitive on my question. Hoping somebody can help.

In early October I want to fly (in first/D1) from MCO to Tokyo (don't care which airport) and then in late October fly from PVG to MCO. I see a current price of $7,159 (1 stop in ATL on the way out, DTW on the return). So far, so good. Well, I'm hoping for a lower fare but aren't we all?

So I check LAX>TKO and PVG>LAX for the same dates and find a significantly lower fare of $4,002. I can book MCO>LAX the day before and LAX>MCO the day after the long flights for only $943, giving a total cost of $4,995. Yes, I'd have to spend a night before and after in an LAX hotel, but you can buy a lot of hotel for the >$2K difference. Twice that since its me and Mrs Jalves.

However, if I try to book this on DL as one trip, the cost jumps to ~$11K. So, my question is do I run into any problems booking this as two separate trips?
Old May 27, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
As long as it's all delta, they're good about multiple itineraries in case of IRROPS. with the savings, you can easily build in a mini LA vacation too!
Old May 27, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by jalves
I've searched FT and don't see anything definitive on my question. Hoping somebody can help.

In early October I want to fly (in first/D1) from MCO to Tokyo (don't care which airport) and then in late October fly from PVG to MCO. I see a current price of $7,159 (1 stop in ATL on the way out, DTW on the return). So far, so good. Well, I'm hoping for a lower fare but aren't we all?

So I check LAX>TKO and PVG>LAX for the same dates and find a significantly lower fare of $4,002. I can book MCO>LAX the day before and LAX>MCO the day after the long flights for only $943, giving a total cost of $4,995. Yes, I'd have to spend a night before and after in an LAX hotel, but you can buy a lot of hotel for the >$2K difference. Twice that since its me and Mrs Jalves.

However, if I try to book this on DL as one trip, the cost jumps to ~$11K. So, my question is do I run into any problems booking this as two separate trips?
Another, and even cheaper option, is to start your journey from YYZ. For Oct. 26 into HND, and returning from PVG Nov.6, I'm seeing a Z fare of ca. 3398 USD(4531 CDN)/pers. Positioning from MCO into YYZ, or even into BUF and driving, is also likely <$900 for two.
Old May 27, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If you can fly out of JFK/YYZ you can normally get a deal using DL partner MU. In the last year they've really improved and they fly brand new 777 on N. American routes. Even adding the cost of a positioning flight you'll save thousands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.