Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fees to change flight on route

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2017, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Fees to change flight on route

If I was flying one way: YYR-YYZ-xxx, and had an overnight in YYZ, did not take the YYZ-xxx (but notified AC well in advance -ie. when I land at YYZ) - how does the fees work should I want to rebook and take the YYZ-xxx say a week later?

In Matrix, it says there is a $75 fee + fee differential - but what are they comparing to charge the fee differential? The YVR-xxx fare when I bought originally vs. the YVR-xxx when I plan to take the flight? Or its compared to the YYZ-xxx fare when I plan to take the flight?

Lets say I bought the flight for $800, and jump out at YYZ.
I later want to take the YYZ-xxx leg. If I bought that flight it would cost $500. They YVR-xxx fare is still $800.

Would I need to pay in this situation - $75 + ?

Thank you
Old May 27, 2017, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by dominick
If I was flying one way: YYR-YYZ-xxx, and had an overnight in YYZ, did not take the YYZ-xxx (but notified AC well in advance -ie. when I land at YYZ) - how does the fees work should I want to rebook and take the YYZ-xxx say a week later?

In Matrix, it says there is a $75 fee + fee differential - but what are they comparing to charge the fee differential? The YVR-xxx fare when I bought originally vs. the YVR-xxx when I plan to take the flight? Or its compared to the YYZ-xxx fare when I plan to take the flight?

Lets say I bought the flight for $800, and jump out at YYZ.
I later want to take the YYZ-xxx leg. If I bought that flight it would cost $500. They YVR-xxx fare is still $800.

Would I need to pay in this situation - $75 + ?

Thank you
It sounds like you were on a X ticket. It will most likely be cheaper just to buy a new ticket between YYZ to XXX. In other words, your original ticket is no good. You will have to buy a new ticket from YYZ to XXX.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Thank you.

What would be an example then of an "change after departure " and why wouldnt this qualify?

In a way it is similar to hidden city ticketing but I do plan to fly the next leg (in the future).
Old May 27, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Thank you.

What would be an example then of an "change after departure " and why wouldnt this qualify?

In a way it is similar to hidden city ticketing but I do plan to fly the next leg (in the future).
You can change the return portion, or continuing leg after a stopover (not connection) of a ticket after staring the journey, but creating a stopover after the fact is entirely different. If you purchased a fare from YVR-YXX with a connection in YYZ adding a stopover would be a fundamentally different ticket with likely a very different fare structure.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
You can change the return portion, or continuing leg after a stopover (not connection) of a ticket after staring the journey, but creating a stopover after the fact is entirely different. If you purchased a fare from YVR-YXX with a connection in YYZ adding a stopover would be a fundamentally different ticket with likely a very different fare structure.
Maybe not. Since pax didn't take the connecting flight, AC would record this as a no show(even if pax phoned) and the ticket would be cancelled.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

I assumed it would be cancelled, but seeing the rule for changing after trip started - I was trying to comprehend what that meant, since if they did cancel the ticket, that rule seems to be pointless given it was a one-way ticket.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
I think this depending on routing and the conditions on the ticket. A few years ago I had a round trip from Saskatoon to Shanghai with a connection in Vancouver both ways. The ticket was booked by my customers travel agent in Shanghai.

I wanted to add a stop over in Vancouver on the way back. Called into Air Canada was told it would be complex and expensive to do before I started my journey. But if I was already checked in, it was easy and just $50. I was told best thing to do was to do it at the airport in Saskatoon after the agent had me checked in and if they had any question the agent should call the fare pricing desk.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
If it is a domestic ticket (you haven't mentioned the final destination) then you will be unable to fly that segment unless the connection is less than 4 hours.

On an international routing and depending on the fare basis, you can may be able to add a stopover (over 24hr) for a stopover fee or possibly no stopover fee plus tax differential and the applicable fare change fee. It all depends on the particular fare and whether stopovers are valid for that fare.

If your fare basis does not permit stopovers, then you should be able to pay the fare differential based on the original fare and pay up to the fare that would permit stopovers. (ie - from V to M)

When doing this prior to departure the entire ticket would be repriced to reflect the current fare and availability on the day of change - which may very likely be higher.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:28 pm

I had a YYZ-YVR-HKG and return ticket same way.

Called in a few weeks before, asked if I could do the YYZ-YVR-leg a few days over and do a stop there. Paid the change fee and fare difference was zero.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by quantumofforce
I had a YYZ-YVR-HKG and return ticket same way.

Called in a few weeks before, asked if I could do the YYZ-YVR-leg a few days over and do a stop there. Paid the change fee and fare difference was zero.
International fares are much more likely to allow stopovers... so curious if XXX in OP's original post is within Canada/USA or not
Old May 28, 2017, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

XXX would be international, yes!
Old May 28, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
XXX would be international, yes!
You may want to call them and ask, what would be the fee charged if I changed the YYZ-XXX segment to a later date after check in? You may get quite a different answer than if you try to change it ahead of time.

If you like the response to the first question than, you could do online check-in 24 hours ahead of time and then call to do the change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.