combine points to buy cruise

Old May 26, 2017, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

combine points to buy cruise

I have 90,000 CSR Ultimate Reward points and my wife has 130,000. The price of the cruise we want to take is dependent upon the purchase of two tickets. (two passengers per cabin) Chase says that in order to purchase the two tickets I have to merge the accounts and they will then "purchase"the two tickets. They say I can't pay for one passenger out of one account and the other passenger out of the other. Has anyone done this before? Forgive me if this has been answered but I just want to make certain that after I merge the accounts, the cruise line and CSR are in sync..
Old May 26, 2017, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'm not familiar with using CUR to buy cruise tickets.

I'd just suggest checking if everything is paid with the points (cabin, taxes, gratuties, port fees). Often these extra things can double the price.

Always compare the cash price, too.
Old May 27, 2017, 4:27 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by powlan
I...Chase says that in order to purchase the two tickets I have to merge the accounts.
I think there is a misunderstanding. You cannot merge UR accounts. You can use the Combine Points feature to move the required number of points from her account to yours (or the reverse). This is routine.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I'm not familiar with using CUR to buy cruise tickets.

I'd just suggest checking if everything is paid with the points (cabin, taxes, gratuties, port fees). Often these extra things can double the price.

Always compare the cash price, too.
Good idea,
Old May 27, 2017, 9:00 am
Original Poster

You're right Mia. As soon as I find out how much the cruise is (exactly) I'll transfer the points. Probably a bunch more just in case. It looks fairly easy to do.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:25 am
mia

It looks fairly easy to do.
It is, I do it every month, but sometimes it doesn't work, and Chase isn't good at troubleshooting. Instead they invent inaccurate and unhelpful explanations:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...-accounts.html

I would do a test transaction now. There is no downside.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
I think there is a misunderstanding. You cannot merge UR accounts. You can use the Combine Points feature to move the required number of points from her account to yours (or the reverse). This is routine.
You are smart to simply test it which is something I will do. I don't think that I will have any problems since the combination will be between my wife's CSR account and my CSR account. Neither of us are AU nor do we have Ink or Freedom cards. And of course the default is to call. Final question. Can I apply my $300 travel credit to the cruise in addition to using the points to purchase it?
Old May 27, 2017, 4:03 pm
mia

....Can I apply my $300 travel credit to the cruise in addition to using the points to purchase it?
There is nothing to apply. The Travel Credit is applied automatically when you use the card to pay for any transaction classified as travel, which is defined very broadly. Paying with points is not a card transaction, it won't use the credit. Are you sure you have not already used it?
Old May 28, 2017, 8:16 am

Just curious. If you didn't have enough points for the entire cruise payment, but used points to pay and then paid the balance with CSR, would you get the $300 Travel Credit on the amount charged to CSR?
Old May 28, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by fslarry
Just curious. If you didn't have enough points for the entire cruise payment, but used points to pay and then paid the balance with CSR, would you get the $300 Travel Credit on the amount charged to CSR?
Yes you would.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:57 am

You can't book a cruise online in the UR site right? The only option seems to be calling them. It makes it hard to check prices against other TAs. Do you still get 1.5 cents per point on cruise?

Make sure you check other TA's because many of them offer 40 to 70% off full cruise fare. If UR travel use the standard price with 1.5 cents per point redemption you are only getting about 33% off.
Old May 28, 2017, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
There is nothing to apply. The Travel Credit is applied automatically when you use the card to pay for any transaction classified as travel, which is defined very broadly. Paying with points is not a card transaction, it won't use the credit. Are you sure you have not already used it?
I used it in January 2017 and do not intend to use it again until 2018,
Old May 28, 2017, 9:43 pm

Paying for cruises with UR points is easy

I have paid for cruises with UR points several times. Never had an issue. Research online and then call the cruise line to book. Let them know you are going to pay with CC points. They will usually give me a security pin # along with the confirmation number to provide to the UR rep so that chase can "take over" the booking and pay for the cruise. The only issue has been that they want this completed within 24 hours of the initial booking. This works with Carnival and Royal. don't know about the others.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:42 pm

I was wondering how a person wd get a cruise with points. Is it worth it do use points for a cruise? Someone said to call the cruise line to book, but what if a diff site offers a better cruise rate? Also, if I and a friend are going, I'd need to book the entire suite with my points and just have her pay me back?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.