My experience on the Las Vegas flight

Old May 26, 2017, 6:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriot Gold
My experience on the Las Vegas flight

Hi,
I was quite surprised the state of the plane the Las Vegas flight is from Heathrow terminal 3.
I was in Club World and it was advisably unclean, parts of the wall molding was falling out and the general style of the Upper Deck looked very old.

Is there a lot of the BA fleet like this? Next time I will travel in the main cabin to avoid this however I just thought it was very disappointing for a business class product.

I have these flights in Club World would it be best to avoid the Upper Deck on these as well?

BA0182, 22:55 Tue 11 Jul 2017, Club World (NYC to LHR)
BA0183, 19:50 Fri 04 Aug 2017, Club World (LHR to NYC)

Would anyone recommend good seats in Club World? I am trying to find the aircraft codes on MMB but I cannot seem to find them, If anyone could assist here it would be greatly appreciated. I always traveled in WTP but recently obtained Silver and due to other reasons I can travel in Club World now.

Thanks
Old May 26, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: BAEC
The general advice is that the upper deck is the place to be on the 747. Compared to the main cabin it offers an increased level/more personal level of service (YMMV). As far as the cleanliness issue I would generally say that the main cabin is no better or worse than the upper deck. I'd still take the upper deck every time.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:36 am

Unfortunately the 744s used to Vegas are some of the worst in the fleet. Those used to JFK are often but not always, super hi J with refurbished interiors, the seat map for your flights should tell you this. That said, I'd still pick upper deck every time
Old May 27, 2017, 12:48 am

Las Vegas is a high density leisure route which means the oldest planes will normally be used. The same at LGW with the 777s.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Priority Club Gold, Accor Silver, Virgin Australia Gold
Yes of course the price does not match the quality of aircraft condition used on the route, we should say you are using duff cosmetically club world aircraft so I will pay half price. After a shocker to Vegas a few years ago with BA and that was in upper, I far preferred Thomas cook .. ..just goes to show eh!
Old May 27, 2017, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
If it's for leisure OP and time is no issue go to LAX on the earlier flight and switch to a domestic over to LAS. You can still arrive early evening
Old May 27, 2017, 2:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
If it's for leisure OP and time is no issue go to LAX on the earlier flight and switch to a domestic over to LAS. You can still arrive early evening
This is what I do, principally to avoid the T5 to T3 connection and to take the A380.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
You could also mix it up and try American's 77W one direction to see an alternative
Old May 27, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
You could also mix it up and try American's 77W one direction to see an alternative
Be warned if you fly American you might never go back to BA for TATL again!

My wife is just back from business trip to Vegas. Ticket costs more than 4000 and she described the aircraft as disgusting, the food inedible and crew hopeless. On both the outbound and return the IFE failed for over an hour. She asked for white wine on the way back and when she commented that it was warm, she was asked of she would like ice in it! That might be just about acceptable at your BBQ but not on a 4000 ticket. Worse was the attitude of the crew when she said so....they haven't got a clue! BA is now not just low quality but Chavvy with it!

I am going to Vegas myself in July and have taken the circuitous route of AA to JFK and then on to LAX. Their hard product leaves BA for dead and I can cope with their crews, with whom I have yet to have an unpleasant experience.

I had some service recover vouchers to use and so while picking my wife up went to AA ticket desk to book. I handed the agent my ITA matrix itinerary and she booked it, took the vouchers and ticketed within 10 minutes. Simple, straightforward and efficient with none of the "I can't replicate the fare", "I will need to talk to a supervisor" or "I have never seen this before" you get at T5.

Frankly, I would rather stop once or even twice to get to Vegas than deal/cope with BA anymore.
Old May 27, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
After a couple of years of hopping to LAS via JFK or PHL, I've taken the BA271 twice this year so far. Upper Deck both times and the latest was one of my fav flights for many a year; maybe the go-around at LAS had a lot to do with it .
I guess I overlook the hard product deficiencies now as I'm used to them and work around. Sure the two UD crew were raw, but both times seemed keen to provide timely professional service as well as stop by for chats and some banter. Bottom-line is if I really want to be in LV before 6pm local then I'll push for the direct flight (next one is with Dicky Beard which lands sooner).
The 1-stop AA/BA options may return to favour but likely only due to price where sometimes the direct flights go I0 or T0 very early. Via LAX on the BA283 has its temptations if in WT+ or F.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond
I'm a plus 1 for routing via LAX. My last trip even in First was awful on these old knackers to LAS and I've had enough. It's sad that we have to change our routes as BA chooses to be poor (for me it chose as, it refurbed half of the fleet but not the rest). I'm also doing a similar thing going to BKK via KUL to avoid the other old 772's, this adds 4 hours onto my journey, but sadly it's still worth it.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriot Gold
Thanks for the comments.
Can anyone tell me If the NYC flights will be a new plane? What about the best seats?
I am new to Flyertalk.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
LHR to LAS (and vice versa) can be a mixed bag. I have had some great flights in Club and WT+ and I have had some less stellar ones. BA at its inconsistent best

If you are flying LHR - JFK on a 747 then any seat on the upper deck would arguably be the best! Some are better than others (62 A/K or 64 A/K for example) but there really isn't a bad seat upstairs!

Oh, and this is my 1000th post here in FT. Just sayin'
Old May 27, 2017, 3:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by COREi5
Thanks for the comments.
Can anyone tell me If the NYC flights will be a new plane? What about the best seats?
I am new to Flyertalk.
JFK normally gets the newly refitted Super J 747s, yes. You can tell by looking comparing the seat plan on BA.com to this link, which is a Super J aircraft:

http://thebasource.com/seatmaps/744/14f86j30w145y.html

Your Vegas aircraft only had 52 seats in CW, so it has far fewer seats in CW than the linked seat plan.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I have these flights in Club World would it be best to avoid the Upper Deck on these as well?

BA0182, 22:55 Tue 11 Jul 2017, Club World (NYC to LHR)
BA0183, 19:50 Fri 04 Aug 2017, Club World (LHR to NYC)
Both your JFK-LHR and LHR-JFK flights are currently planned to be on super high-J aircraft. These have recently been refreshed.

In any case, I would also echo the advice to take upper deck seats. You'll find plenty of advice in other threads, notably http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...lub-world.html. FWIW, my personal preferences are 62K, 62A and 64K in that order.

On both flights, 62K and 62A are still available.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.