Wiki Posts
Search

Cape Town Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Cape Town Conundrum

Long time listener, first time caller Lover of this wonderful forum.

I'm going to be travelling back and forth from London to Cape Town a fair bit over the next few months with work, and luckily have the pleasure with work of being able to book business class flights. Looking today I am amazed at how busy the direct flights are, even at this time of year.

I've got to arrive in Cape Town on Monday 5th June and leave on Thursday 15th and don't seem to have many direct options. If I'm breaking the journey up but still want to grab tier points has anyone got any recommendations? I'm guessing Johannesburg is the main bet, but was curious if there were any other smart ideas.

Thank you and be gentle
Old May 26, 2017, 12:02 pm

Welcome to FT Hopefully no need for the request to be gentle! You've come to a good place to ask questions before planning your trips.

If you are after TPs then QR is the way to go, but it's a bit of a detour.
Old May 26, 2017, 12:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Welcome. QR would give you 140TPs for each sector so a return would net 560TPs. Three of these and you are gold and a good way to getting some extra benefits if you do a few more.

Of course this will mean longer flights but is an option.
Old May 26, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
That sums it up neatly. ^

As our [now seemingly annual] CPT run is usually done on a 2-4-1 the QR option isn't a winner for us, TP-wise. But it certainly looks like a great option if you have the time, and is still flagged as an option if I end up using a 2-4-1 elsewhere and actually have to spend <shudder> money to renew Gold on the way to CPT*

* HNL is just so 'yesterday'.
Old May 26, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
QR is a great option but watch out for the schedules and layover period in DOH on the way back. For example on the 15th June the shortest layover is 5h50m, whereas one day later on 16th it's 1h55m.

JNB is definitely an option and there are plenty of flights in both directions in case of a missed connection. There's the advantage of the wonderful SLOW Lounges in both CPT and JNB but the annoyance of having to claim/re-check your luggage at JNB. JNB Transit info
Old May 26, 2017, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by barnettn
Long time listener, first time caller Lover of this wonderful forum.

I'm going to be travelling back and forth from London to Cape Town a fair bit over the next few months with work, and luckily have the pleasure with work of being able to book business class flights. Looking today I am amazed at how busy the direct flights are, even at this time of year.

I've got to arrive in Cape Town on Monday 5th June and leave on Thursday 15th and don't seem to have many direct options. If I'm breaking the journey up but still want to grab tier points has anyone got any recommendations? I'm guessing Johannesburg is the main bet, but was curious if there were any other smart ideas.

Thank you and be gentle
Controversial but if it does nt have to be one world then KLM is a great alternative and their new Business seats on the 777s and 787s are a league ahead of BA.
If one world then QR or via JNB on BA/Comair are your options over march-October period.
Old May 27, 2017, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
As our [now seemingly annual] CPT run is usually done on a 2-4-1 the QR option isn't a winner for us, TP-wise. But it certainly looks like a great option if you have the time, and is still flagged as an option if I end up using a 2-4-1 elsewhere and actually have to spend <shudder> money to renew Gold on the way to CPT*
I'm am entirely confused as to how spending 2-for-1 vouchers on rewards to CPT have anything to do with earning Tier Points?

Or how an annual 280TP return (BA direct, paid in J) to CPT is anything more than "nice to have" when going for the 1500 TPs needed for Gold.

As for the OP, Qatar is indeed the best TP accumulation route for South Africa, with the extra flight time compensated by the fact that you are in two long haul Js, rather than a mediocre BA long-haul J followed by a short haul that is nothing more than an empty middle seat.
Old May 27, 2017, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
I'm am entirely confused as to how spending 2-for-1 vouchers on rewards to CPT have anything to do with earning Tier Points?

Or how an annual 280TP return (BA direct, paid in J) to CPT is anything more than "nice to have" when going for the 1500 TPs needed for Gold.

As for the OP, Qatar is indeed the best TP accumulation route for South Africa, with the extra flight time compensated by the fact that you are in two long haul Js, rather than a mediocre BA long-haul J followed by a short haul that is nothing more than an empty middle seat.
Poorly expressed by me ... apologies. File it under "The ramblings of an old person".

I can/will garner the 1,500 needed for Gold renewal far more cost-effectively on other journeys. Paying to go to CPT, either with BA or QR, seems a rather expensive way of getting 280TP. We will be getting [ex-JER, via DUB, to OGG] 860TP for £1,700 each
Old May 27, 2017, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by T8191
Poorly expressed by me ... apologies. File it under "The ramblings of an old person".

I can/will garner the 1,500 needed for Gold renewal far more cost-effectively on other journeys. Paying to go to CPT, either with BA or QR, seems a rather expensive way of getting 280TP. We will be getting [ex-JER, via DUB, to OGG] 860TP for £1,700 each
Gotcha!

But then obviously the OP, spending somebody else's money, should take all of the QR routings possible, so as to never/rarely have to spend money on Gold or even GGL...
Old May 27, 2017, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Gotcha!

But then obviously the OP, spending somebody else's money, should take all of the QR routings possible, so as to never/rarely have to spend money on Gold or even GGL...
Of course ... that's a significant factor. In my ramblings here on FT I tend to forget that my perspectives [always travelling as a couple for leisure, spending our own money] are going to differ from the majority [solo, travelling for/by work]. If anyone out there would care to subsidise our travels, we would be very grateful
Old May 27, 2017, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to the BAEC forum barnettn. ^

There is no conundrum. If you value your own time then you fly direct with BA.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Firstly lucky you and welcome to the BA forum !

I do this route a fair bit , but have swung my business to EK instead on the CPT-LHR sector and haven't looked back since. The BA flights are always full or 99% full , out of preference if it was me and the company was paying business fares then I would take the QR option. However you may become overtime exhausted of doing this route as it quite taxing even in business.

I would even look into going on EK or taking out a QR frequent flyer account if you are flying with them that much in the future. If you have status with BA and choose the QR option or EK , try get a status match.
Old May 27, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by CloudGazer
QR is a great option but watch out for the schedules and layover period in DOH on the way back. For example on the 15th June the shortest layover is 5h50m, whereas one day later on 16th it's 1h55m.

JNB is definitely an option and there are plenty of flights in both directions in case of a missed connection. There's the advantage of the wonderful SLOW Lounges in both CPT and JNB but the annoyance of having to claim/re-check your luggage at JNB. JNB Transit info
This is a good shout. JND baggage reclaim is a real pain but the JNB Slow lounge is great.

QR if you want tier points and a superior product but it really does take up time connecting through.

Ahh the joy of having regular business trips to CPT!
Old May 27, 2017, 2:51 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
If you need to be in CPT for work, then having broken up sleep in the middle of the night in DOH is not ideal. If travelling back and forth several times, then you will still accumulate TPs at a reasonable rate, but could perhaps do some QR trips with a longer stopover on a weekend or something.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Welcome to the BAEC forum barnettn. ^

There is no conundrum. If you value your own time then you fly direct with BA.
Originally Posted by :D!
If you need to be in CPT for work, then having broken up sleep in the middle of the night in DOH is not ideal. If travelling back and forth several times, then you will still accumulate TPs at a reasonable rate, but could perhaps do some QR trips with a longer stopover on a weekend or something.
The OP did mention the lack of direct flights on the dates of upcoming travel.

People have their own schedules and tricks for getting sleep on airplanes, but personally I struggle with deplaning from a long-haul and having to catch a short haul connection with no flat bed. I'd rather fly during the day to DOH, then overnight to wherever and sleep on that flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.