Wiki Posts
Search

Is GL worth working hard for?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Is GL worth working hard for?

Hi,

I got an email from BA, pushing me to book a few more trips to hit Gold List status. (with the random goal of 3670 TP).
They're not doing a very good job telling me what the benefits actually are- just something about a dedicated service team, and "No fees on reward flights".

Do we know where i can see the full list of benefits?
Also- what "fees" exactly are they waiving when you book an Avios flight?

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2017, 4:24 am

Programs: AA : BA
Check out this excellent guide:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...r-s-guide.html
Old May 26, 2017, 4:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by NirE
Hi,

I got an email from BA, pushing me to book a few more trips to hit Gold List status. (with the random goal of 3670 TP).
That's an odd one. The threshold for initial qualification is 5,000 TP.

Maybe you were off 5,000 TP by 3,670 when the email was set up to be sent out!?

Or, it's not Gold for Life, is it? If you are about 3,670 TP off 35,000, then that could make sense.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; May 26, 2017 at 5:00 am
Old May 26, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you're within a few hundred points of 5k then I would say absolutely!

The GGL team are truly wonderful, Jokers are fantastic and no-fee changes is a surprisingly useful benefit

I am looking at crashing out of GGL in 2019 due to very little work flying planned next year and already dreading it
Old May 26, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
That's an odd one. The threshold for initial qualification is 5,000 TP.

Maybe you were off 5,000 TP by 3,670 when the email was set up to be sent out!?

Or, it's not Gold for Life, is it? If you are about 3,670 TP off 35,000, then that could make sense.
If it's Gold for Life, then absolutely (depending of course on how old you are - if you're 80 then it's not going to be worth as much as if you're 40).
Old May 26, 2017, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for that.
Now I'm really not sure!
At the point i got the email, i had 2,395 TP already (it says so at the top of the email), so i hope they're not expecting me to reach 6065 TP in one year to get the status.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
This is interesting.

The initial qualification is 5000TP which also gets you a Concorde Room Card.

Renewal is 3000TP - but that's without the CCR card, you still need 5000TP to get that.

Sounds like they're giving you an incentive of 3670TP as an initial criteria to hit GGL. What I'd like to know is this just GGL or also CCR?

If CCR I'd say yes, it's worth it.

If no CCR, the question is, do you expect to hit 3000TP in subsequent years? If yes, then I'd definitely go for it, as then you have the GGL benefits without needing to hit the 5000TP initial year target.

If you don't expect to hit 3000TP in subsequent years then look at how much value you'll get out of it for the next year. If you're planning to make redemptions the joker and free cancellations are worth it. Plus the dedicated service line (although the regular gold line has been fine for me) is supposed to be useful too.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
For most people the key benefits are

GGL redemptions (aka Jokers) - to open Avios redemption availability where it doesn't normally exist (a few restrictions aside).
Partner cards (1 x Gold, 2 x Silver)
GGL line (hopefully they will not be enhanced away)
CCR card for those who get to 5K points

other benefits include an additional guest into BA operated lounges and Hilton Diamond status.

You just need to think about what value you and yours would get from those over the course of membership, against the cost of those TPs. Value of course is highly subjective and everyone has their own view.
Old May 26, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Originally Posted by NirE
Thanks for that.
Now I'm really not sure!
At the point i got the email, i had 2,395 TP already (it says so at the top of the email), so i hope they're not expecting me to reach 6065 TP in one year to get the status.
Check how many Lifetime Tier Points you have (log in at ba.com and you can see it in the right-hand column below where it tells you how many TPs you have). If you have 31,000-32,000 Lifetime TPs then that's your answer - you need 35,000 to get a gold card for life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.