Wiki Posts
Search

What to do during a 10 hour layover at Beijing airport

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CONTINENTAL ONE PASS
What to do during a 10 hour layover at Beijing airport

My boss is flying from SIN to PEK tonight arriving at PEK at 5:50 AM.
His flight from PEK to EWR does not leave until 3:35 PM on Saturday.
He does not have a visa so he can't leave the airport.
He's flying in Business class but he said that there isn't a United Lounge at the airport.
Any suggestions on what he can do for 9 hours 45 minutes at the airport?
Old May 25, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Air China lounge is the place to go if he does not want to take a train to downtown area. If he has never visited Beijing, he should take train/subway to visit the Tiananmen Square area and Wangwujin street. Good luck.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Pax qualifies for transit without visa (TWOV) and can leave PEK airport. Instruct pax to look for the TWOV desk (it's literally a desk) at the far end of the immigration counters upon arrival. There might be a long line, but one should be through with the process within an hour.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
Pax qualifies for transit without visa (TWOV) and can leave PEK airport. Instruct pax to look for the TWOV desk (it's literally a desk) at the far end of the immigration counters upon arrival. There might be a long line, but one should be through with the process within an hour.
Correct, assuming he holds an eligible passport. US and Singapore passport holders are eligible, but I obviously don't know the passenger's nationality.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:57 pm

Thanks for the clarification, yes I jumped the gun a little bit and assumed pax is a U.S./Canada/Mexico passport holder. Nationality is a determinant for TWOV.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by jsloan
Correct, assuming he holds an eligible passport. US and Singapore passport holders are eligible, but I obviously don't know the passenger's nationality.
I think Singapore , Japan a few very small nations passport holders do not need visas. US passport gets 72hr transit with out visa within the city.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
If you can get a transit visa the great wall is nearby, or you can catch a taxi to the forbidden city. Taxi's are freakishly cheap.

Beijing airport sucks, I do not recommend hanging out there for a long layover. Hopefully the Tom Brady Bar is finally open atleast... unless he is from Atlanta
Old May 25, 2017, 5:47 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread as it moves to FlyerTalk's China forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

yes , my boss is a U.S. citizen
Old May 25, 2017, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Can he use the Air China lounge if he is flying from SIN to PEK on Air China even though his flight was booked through United
Old May 25, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: aeroplan
Private guides are really inexpensive compared to some other destinations. 10 hours should be plenty of time for a quick looksee in the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square (adjacent and it is a big square so does not take hours so could be done first thing before FC opens) and possibly even the National Museum of China which is very close by to both the Square and FC (although that packs a lot in a very short period of time). I would def recommend a private guide though. It is such a short period of time that figuring out logistics is just not worth it. We hired guides over many days to see specific things and it was money well spent.
Old May 25, 2017, 8:12 pm

UA J passengers can use Air China's Business Class Lounge.
Old May 25, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
He can get a public taxi to Tiananmen Square and look around and then walk to the forbidden city when it opens (at 8:30 a.m.)?

He should beware of taxi scams and touts and only take either a public metered taxi or a pre-arranged taxi, not a "private taxi" offered by a tout at the airport.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:13 am
Original Poster

His Air China flight from SIN to PEK is Fare Class: Business (C)
and his United flight from PEK to EWR is Fare Class; United Polaris business (P)

Can he use the Air China lounge at PEK with a ticket in these fare classes?
Old May 26, 2017, 2:07 pm

Yes. Just show the boarding pass at the entrance, and the attendant will direct the way to the business class lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.