Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Opt In/Out for Medallion Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 9:06 am
Original Poster

New Opt In/Out for Medallion Upgrades

Hello, Is there a post on these Delta Medallion upgrade changes coming soon? Which is a better option?

Opt In
Get your upgrades automatically:
Set your preferences as opt in* and, when you receive a Complimentary Upgrade, you can now use the seat map to switch your seat to the one you prefer among any seat shown available for a Complimentary Upgrades.

Opt Out
Select your upgrades yourself:
Opt out of automatic Complimentary Upgrades and you can now use the seat map to switch your seat to the one you prefer among any seat shown available for a Complimentary Upgrade. As a Gold, you can select available Delta Comfort+® and First Class seats beginning 72 hours prior to departure.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:09 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
If you opt out, and the upgrade sweep clears, you'll likely miss out on some upgrades.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Why would anyone opt out?
Old May 25, 2017, 9:14 am
Original Poster

I know my upgrades sometimes don't clear 72 hours before, but I can see seats available. I wonder if you opt out, you can select any open seat that is available 72 hours before?
Old May 25, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by flyernb
Why would anyone opt out?
Some people have tended to opt out so they aren't upgraded into a Comfort+ MIDDLE SEAT. I would usually prefer a non-Comfort+ aisle to a Comfort+ middle seat.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Yes that's so true, totally agree on that! Good point!
Old May 25, 2017, 9:24 am

Yes that's so true, totally agree on that! Good point!
I think it's safe to say it a slightly different way . . . .

To be moved from a good aisle seat in "Main Cabin" (or window, if you prefer) to a middle seat in Comfort+, really isn't an upgrade, even if you get a free drink and a slightly better snack.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold
My profile has had the Comfort+ option unchecked ever since the option was known to me, I had that whole "upgrade" to a middle seat debacle occur once, never again. My tickets get booked, I select Comfort+ via my flight details if a decent seat is available then choose it myself.
Old May 25, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by burbanite
My profile has had the Comfort+ option unchecked ever since the option was known to me, I had that whole "upgrade" to a middle seat debacle occur once, never again. My tickets get booked, I select Comfort+ via my flight details if a decent seat is available then choose it myself.
Exactly what I have been doing. I am 3/45 on upgrades to F so not too worried about that.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by davetravels
I think it's safe to say it a slightly different way . . . .

To be moved from a good aisle seat in "Main Cabin" (or window, if you prefer) to a middle seat in Comfort+, really isn't an upgrade, even if you get a free drink and a slightly better snack.
In fact it is a downgrade IMHO
Old May 25, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Looks like the boxes to check are the same they have always been in my profile. Still just have First upgrades checked.

Is there a way to opt out of a C+ middle seat in your profile? If so I would be willing to check the C+ box. Couldn't find it if it exists.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know my upgrades sometimes don't clear 72 hours before, but I can see seats available. I wonder if you opt out, you can select any open seat that is available 72 hours before?
No, there has to be inventory in the WU/RU buckets for upgrades. Just because there are seats open does not mean there is also upgrade inventory. If you were not upgraded, it means there was no inventory in the buckets and you will not be able to select seats for free just because they are open and you opted out. The part you are missing is that while you can select the seat, if there is no upgrade inventory, DL will ask you to pay for it.

For C+ on TATL flights, there is no separate fare class for C+ and there are no auto-upgrades to C+ (so opt-in/opt-out makes no difference on these). You will be able to select any open C+ seats at your appropriate window.

Last edited by xliioper; May 25, 2017 at 11:39 am
Old May 25, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apodo77
Looks like the boxes to check are the same they have always been in my profile. Still just have First upgrades checked.

Is there a way to opt out of a C+ middle seat in your profile? If so I would be willing to check the C+ box. Couldn't find it if it exists.
No, there have been no change for preferences. The only thing that has changed is that you can now downgrade yourself if you get upgraded into a seat that you don't like.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
No, there have been no change for preferences. The only thing that has changed is that you can now downgrade yourself if you get upgraded into a seat that you don't like.
Thanks. I will leave as is then.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:20 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
So, I'm not really clear on how this works. My understanding is the "opt out" is the same checkbox that you uncheck to decline automatic C+ upgrades, right? The change is that if you qualify for the upgrade, and you have to box unchecked, you "get" the upgrade without an automatic seat change and then you just go in and manually select your seat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.