Wiki Posts
Search

DOH/HIA Platinum Lounge

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
DOH/HIA Platinum Lounge

Currently in the Platinum lounge and I must write that it is really rather nice. Pancakes, egg omelette, champagne with orange juice and a latte. Throw into the mix only three other travellers in the lounge and newly smoked ceiling glass to tone down the annoying overhead lights from the big screen, and I'd rate the experience every bit as good as a morning in Al Mourjan. ^
Thanks Qatar Airways for the positive evolution of the Platinum Lounge. Gold star for you :-:
Old May 25, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Is this the same as the HIA First class lounge for OW Emerald members? I really didnt like the HIA Business class next door as every time I went there it was way too busy.

Interesting that you rate the experience up there with Al Mourjan. My next flight through Qatar is in Business class so will have access to Al Mourjan , but as I now have BA gold, I might have a look there and compare the 2, assuming lounge hopping is acceptable in DOH.

Last edited by englisha; May 25, 2017 at 2:47 am
Old May 25, 2017, 5:35 am

englisha yes it is the same lounge. As SullyofDoha points out he was there when the lounge was very quiet so it is difficult to fairly compare a quiet lounge with a very busy lounge so do be careful.
Old May 25, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
newly smoked ceiling glass to tone down the annoying overhead lights from the big screen
Great to see they've done something about light pollution from that screen!
Old May 25, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
I was in the plat "First" lounge in early May . Whilst I wouldn't be as kind to say it matched Al Mourjan in any way . I do agree that there have been some changes for the better and I was in there over the peak 10 pm to 3 am period .

The coating on the glass ceiling has made a big difference to the epilepsy inducing disco experience from the big screen above . You can still see the screen but the light interference is now massively reduced/hardly noticeable. There is now a small choice of hot food , buffet style only. Champagne is available but only on request . Its kept hidden in the back so I don't know what brand it was .They have provided a handful of the black curved bed chairs but these were all occupied on both my visits so still inadequate for the needs of the lounge . The self service drinks cart was back .

TBH I still don't really like the lounge as its way too small but it has improved slightly.

Last edited by crombiestone; May 25, 2017 at 7:10 am
Old May 25, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
When I last had champagne in the First Class lounge it was Billecart Salmon - but whenever I've requested a glass lately, it has been served in a red wine glass and oddly enough that completely changes the taste for me. I never would have guessed it was the Billecart if I hadn't seen the bottle!
Old May 25, 2017, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Originally Posted by remdk
englisha yes it is the same lounge. As SullyofDoha points out he was there when the lounge was very quiet so it is difficult to fairly compare a quiet lounge with a very busy lounge so do be careful.
Remdk is correct. This lounge is kind of the pits if you use it during the busy morning or evening periods. Seating can be hard to find. I think it is more of an issue of space which is why the lounge dragons now are very forceful about silvers and golds not entering the Platinum lounge. As a reference, I used the lounge from 7.30am to 9.00am.
Old May 25, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
Remdk is correct. This lounge is kind of the pits if you use it during the busy morning or evening periods. Seating can be hard to find. I think it is more of an issue of space which is why the lounge dragons now are very forceful about silvers and golds not entering the Platinum lounge. As a reference, I used the lounge from 7.30am to 9.00am.
I last frequented the lounge in March and had a 7 hour layover before my 7am flight. Must say lounges should be a place for r&r but from midnight to about 3am this was the noisiest lounge I have ever been in. The noise was way OTT especially at a time we wanted to sleep. We managed to get a family room for 5 hours and could still hear the din.

I'll be passing through again in the coming weeks hopefully things wont be as bad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.