UA and AA Planes Clip Wings in Austin

Old May 24, 2017, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
UA 898 and clips wings with AA Plane in AUS 2017-05-24

Saw this on the local news tonight. Passengers apparently had to wait several hours on FAA clearance to return to gate and deplane. Flight canceled and plane taken out of service. http://kxan.com/2017/05/24/united-am...ustin-airport/

Last edited by getrandom; May 24, 2017 at 10:07 pm
Old May 24, 2017, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by getrandom
Saw this on the local news tonight. Passengers apparently had to wait several hours on FAA clearance to return to gate and deplane: http://kxan.com/2017/05/24/united-am...ustin-airport/
Flight status is showing as "Canceled due to aircraft maintenance." Yeah, I guess so. Glad everyone seems to be OK.

Something doesn't quite add up in the report -- they're claiming that the UA flight was taxiing from gate 19 when the AA flight was pulling into 17. 17 & 19 are adjacent, but 19 isn't a UA gate (flight status shows it operating from 24, which is a mixed-use gate that UA frequently uses). It would be unusual for a UA plane to be anywhere near gate 17 or 19.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

It appears to have been UA 898 AUS-IAH Plane 3504 N76504 which was came in from Houston as UA 771. That was parked at gate 16, so I'd guess it hit the AA plane coming around the corner on the way out to the runway.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
AUS-IAH -- that's United's flagship route. It likely frustrated some very important customers.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by channa
AUS-IAH -- that's United's flagship route. It likely frustrated some very important customers.
Just grouchy ex-CO hold outs.
Old May 24, 2017, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by getrandom
It appears to have been UA 898 AUS-IAH Plane 3504 N76504 which was came in from Houston as UA 771. That was parked at gate 16, so I'd guess it hit the AA plane coming around the corner on the way out to the runway.
Somehow I originally thought that the AA plane was coming from 17. I read it again, and the AA flight was actually coming from 21, which make it a lot more understandable how it could get clipped -- 21 is near the corner, and I could see a UA flight from 16 running into it if they'd been given taxi instructions to G3. (FAA map).

Originally Posted by channa
LOL. Hey, AUS is big-time now. We've got nonstop service to LHR and (seasonal) to FRA!
Old May 25, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by jsloan
Somehow I originally thought that the AA plane was coming from 17. I read it again, and the AA flight was actually coming from 21, which make it a lot more understandable how it could get clipped -- 21 is near the corner, and I could see a UA flight from 16 running into it if they'd been given taxi instructions to G3. (FAA map).

LOL. Hey, AUS is big-time now. We've got nonstop service to LHR and (seasonal) to FRA!
and CUN, GDL, MEX, SJD, and YYZ,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.