Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Adding Post-Purchase Comfort+, FC Upgrade Purchases

Old May 24, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: gooselee
How post-purchase upgrades work: Based on Delta's announcement 24 May, anyone who purchases a ticket for coach can purchase a Comfort+ or First Class upgrade. No mention was made of Delta One. Upgrades are available as of 24 May via phone or web; app functionality is pending according to the airline. No mention of relative cost was provided.

Some further details here:Delta to Offer A Variety of Ways to Upgrade Tickets After Purchase

Link to Delta's press release: http://news.delta.com/delta-expands-...age-upgrades-0

Link to Delta.com page about the changes: http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html

Partial T&Cs, emphases mine:

Terms and Conditions:

The advertised price is not an offer and is subject to change. No contract exists until you receive confirmation that payment was received and processed. Upgrades may only be purchased for Delta- or Delta Connection- operated flights and are not available for Award Tickets and certain discounted and exception fares. Additional eligibility restrictions may apply at Delta's sole discretion. All passengers within the confirmation number must be upgraded to Main Cabin, Delta Comfort+ TM, or First/Delta One fare classes. Fare rules of your initial reservation will apply regardless of whether rules that would otherwise apply to the fare class of your upgraded ticket are less restrictive, i.e. changeability/refundability. Upgraded tickets are eligible for additional mileage, Medallion Qualification Miles and Medallion Qualification Dollars accruals due to the selection of Delta Comfort+ TM or First/Delta One and associated fare classes, and the increase in base fare or carrier imposed surcharges paid in connection with your upgrade.
Print Wikipost

Old May 24, 2017, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

Technically this isn't FCM since it covers Comfort+ but Delta just announced it will sell upgrades to existing tickets for Comfort+ and First Class on a regular basis.

There was no mention of upgrading to Delta One however.

Delta to Offer A Variety of Ways to Upgrade Tickets After Purchase
Delta Air Lines announced new ways to upgrade tickets subsequent to the original purchase.

The new functionality allows travelers who already have an itinerary booked to purchase Delta’s premium economy seats, Delta Comfort+, or seats in the first-class cabin for all or part of the trip....

<SNIP>
This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I think the more significant part of this is allowing a customer to self select upgraded seats, which seems like a fix for the dreaded middle C+ seat.

Though, I'm not sure this is active yet. I got an upgrade to FC overnight for a trip and it assigned me the seat just like it always has.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scongro
I think the more significant part of this is allowing a customer to self select upgraded seats, which seems like a fix for the dreaded middle C+ seat.

Though, I'm not sure this is active yet. I got an upgrade to FC overnight for a trip and it assigned me the seat just like it always has.
I'm not sure it is for complimentary upgrades although it would make sense for DL to upgrade its sw to do that in the manner you described.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
It is active. See here for an upcoming reservation (within a week but not within 24 hours):

Banner sits at the top of the "Manage My Trip ---> Trip Details" screen. This is for a one-way RDU - DTW - BTV so no chance I'm biting on that especially since both legs are CR9s
Old May 24, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Duke787
It is active. See here for an upcoming reservation (within a week but not within 24 hours):

Banner sits at the top of the "Manage My Trip ---> Trip Details" screen
Seems like I have been getting offers like that every time I book a ticket for a while now.

Definitely took a 1st class offer about a month ago just after or before ticketing (can't remember the order).
Old May 24, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apodo77
Seems like I have been getting offers like that every time I book a ticket for a while now.

Definitely took a 1st class offer about a month ago just after or before ticketing (can't remember the order).
This wasn't just before or just after ticketing. This was booked 3 months ago and the banner just appeared within the last 2 days. Perhaps others see this banner regularly but definitely a new one to me and sounds in line with what DL announced. I've gotten FCM and pre/post purchase offers before and this is definitely different.

Slightly updated picture attempting to show more of the layout within DL.com

Last edited by Duke787; May 24, 2017 at 7:51 am
Old May 24, 2017, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
So now we have C+M in addition to FCM.

Can someone remind me just what benefits of elite status (which is harder to get with MQD requirements in place) remain now that DL has not only eliminated most free elite FC upgrades but now is attempting to eliminate most free elite "upgrades" to C+ as well.

It would be nice if elites were offered discounted prices for both FCM and C+M.
Old May 24, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI looks like they added the interface to the actual seat selection screen too and allow a per-flight upgrade (with a "discount" for upgrading both). Just noticed it when checking my seats on those flights referenced above:

Old May 24, 2017, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Well now we have a TLA for this, if you allow me the liberty of calling this a TLA (despite the "+" character).
Old May 24, 2017, 8:02 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Where's the luxury on a CCR7?!?!?

I'm flying soon on a CR7 nonstop from DCA/MCO. Just came across this ad and FCM offer:

Only "refreshments" in F.

<Moved from the "Random Pathetic Rant" thread">
Attached Images  
Old May 24, 2017, 8:04 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Can someone remind me just what benefits of elite status (which is harder to get with MQD requirements in place) remain now that DL has not only eliminated most free elite FC upgrades but now is attempting to eliminate most free elite "upgrades" to C+ as well.

It would be nice if elites were offered discounted prices for both FCM and C+M.
PM and DM still get free, instant C+ upgrades at time of booking
Old May 24, 2017, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by C W
PM and DM still get free, instant C+ upgrades at time of booking
Only if "upgrade" inventory is available. With DL now trying to sell the C+ "upgrades" aggressively, I predict that little WU space will be released before the gate.....just like FCM has reduced the odds of DMs and PMs being upgraded to FC at the window.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of note at the moment, DL is not charging differing amounts based on the seat you select in F or C+.

This in contrast with AA and UA which do charge varying amounts depending on what MCE or E+ seat you select (and yes I know they are slightly different products than C+ at least DL would have you believe that).

Wouldn't be surprised though if dynamic seat-based pricing eventually filters through for these - it's a logical next step.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duke787
FYI looks like they added the interface to the actual seat selection screen too and allow a per-flight upgrade (with a "discount" for upgrading both). Just noticed it when checking my seats on those flights referenced above:
The functionality has been there since last Wednesday. I have screenshots of it in other threads. This is also when seat availability issues starting showing up for flights where they are not offering upgrade buy-up options (primarily international flights). People keep re-discovering the same thing and starting new threads on it. Here is the initial thread with the screenshots --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ap-issues.html

Last edited by xliioper; May 24, 2017 at 8:15 am
Old May 24, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Really glad they added the option for split payments. I got into a bit of a thing at work when having to have our TA do a split payment for my $750 coach ticket on the company card and then $50 to upgrade to F on my card....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.