Search

Silver stay of execution at 540TPs

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 1:07 pm
GLA
Original Poster

Programs: BA VS
Silver stay of execution at 540TPs

Hey all. I was surprised to get my silver renewal letter and card through today despite only managing 540TPs last year (end of BAEC year 08 April).

I am usually a skin-of-the teeth silver at 600-660 TPs so not high vale to BA. I do have two TATL J trips booked already this year (but TATL legs on AA) so maybe that is why I have been shown mercy.

Anyway, it was a nice surprise. Anyone else been shown such leniency recently?
Old May 23, 2017, 1:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've had a number of PMs recently suggesting that there is currently leniency around at the moment. It helps if you have been Silver / Gold for a while, but some people have been renewed with a lot less effort than your tally for the year. In a sense it is not new, there have been other cases like this over the last 2 years or so, but I wouldn't count on it for another year. Moreover they appear to get less generous if the numbers at a given BAEC level are over-healthy.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold
I put in a good word for you!
Old May 23, 2017, 1:21 pm
GLA
Original Poster

Programs: BA VS
Very kind of you, ericliv. I will be eternally grateful!

That's interesting cws. I certainly wouldn't count on it for another year but won't need to as I have >600TPs booked already for this year
Old May 23, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
I wonder if this points to a larger change coming to the thresholds needed to hit/retain status. Changes to renewal periods and/or points required could be detrimental if they were to change the rules mid-year.

Total speculation... but it isn't like BA to be good to people for no reason.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by mrvincent
Total speculation... but it isn't like BA to be good to people for no reason.
Why do you say no reason? I think people sometimes forget here that the whole point of status is that it encourages the cardholder to spend with BA.

If BA think that it'll make more money out of a customer by renewing their status even if they've missed the threshold, than by letting it lapse, then that's a good reason for BA to renew.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've had a number of PMs recently suggesting that there is currently leniency around at the moment. It helps if you have been Silver / Gold for a while, but some people have been renewed with a lot less effort than your tally for the year. In a sense it is not new, there have been other cases like this over the last 2 years or so, but I wouldn't count on it for another year. Moreover they appear to get less generous if the numbers at a given BAEC level are over-healthy.
What's the record for missing the target and still being renewed?
Old May 23, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Why do you say no reason? I think people sometimes forget here that the whole point of status is that it encourages the cardholder to spend with BA.

If BA think that it'll make more money out of a customer by renewing their status even if they've missed the threshold, than by letting it lapse, then that's a good reason for BA to renew.
Look at the way they treat golds when looking for some sort of compensation for service failure. The values they will lose from treating customers like that will outweight any silvers they auto-renew - but it isn't something that they consider. 60TPs is 10% away - not especially close.

But I'm sure you're right; renewing a silver is a fairly marginal cost for them but has the potential to easily bring in more revenue. However, it wouldn't be FT without a bit of BA bashing or suspicion that they are up to something!
Old May 23, 2017, 3:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
That I know of? Zero flights. Probably difficult to go lower.
Old May 23, 2017, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
I was renewed Gold with 0 TPs in 2006!
Old May 24, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by mrvincent
Look at the way they treat golds when looking for some sort of compensation for service failure. The values they will lose from treating customers like that will outweight any silvers they auto-renew - but it isn't something that they consider.
not necessarily true. Some silvers and even below will generate significant single person revenues.
one could fly 49 relatively expensive economy fares and not hit the 600TP needed for silver.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I've got 1460 in MMB for this membership year, but I won't be taking any chances!! Taking C-W-S' point at post #2 , there are apparently too many HNL Golds anyway!

Calendar is empty for Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr anyway, so plenty of room for a trip to somewhere warm.
Old May 24, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Where does it end though? Sounds like a slippery slope. If 540 is allowed then how long before someone on 530 whinges and then 520 and...
Old May 24, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Any clues as to by what process this leniency occurs? Is it only in cases where the member complains about something? I can't imagine that every renewal decision is reviewed by a human who can decide whether or not to be lenient?
Old May 24, 2017, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by srbrenna
I was renewed Gold with 0 TPs in 2006!
Wow. After how many years as gold, though? Sorry for being so nosy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.