Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

maximizing baggage waiver medallion/amex and travel companions- MOVING

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

maximizing baggage waiver medallion/amex and travel companions- MOVING

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PL, Hilton Diamond, past AA Gold
Question maximizing baggage waiver medallion/amex and travel companions- MOVING

Thanks in advance for any clarity and suggestions! We are moving cross country and Id like to get as much stuff to the new place as we travel to/from prior to officially moving and waiting for items to eventually arrive.

Husband is a gold for next flight, then makes platinum for subsequent flights. I am silver. child no status. Both of us have amex with baggage waiver.

1) does husband get two bags free with gold and three with platinum up to 70lbs and additional bag with Amex waiver or is that just limited up to two bags total?

2) when my daughter and I travel with him well we be able to get the same baggage waivers he does if they can link our travel itineraries? He books on concur through work so not sure if they can do that.

3) Also, if they do link travel itineraries, will it effect his upgrade changes as hed be linked with 2 people and upgrades would be limited to +1. This has seemed tricky in past as Id like to link to his for upgrade but if traveling with child they wont just link him to a child not in his itinerary and wont just let me link to his without the little one so the little one is not left behind (of course if we did get an upgrade, even to comfort, shed be with either one of us, we wouldnt leave her on own.)

Thanks for input from those of you who have been there done that!

I cant get it to upload my snippet but this is the link with the basic chart https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...p/checked.html
Old May 23, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
As a matter of written policy, all passengers in the same reservation (up to 8 companions) get the benefits of the highest statused member automatically. You might have success in having "linked" PNRs, but that would be a ticket counter discretionary call.

To answer your questions:
1) As a gold, he'll get two checked bags up to 70 lbs each. You don't get an extra bag for having the amex when you are > gold. As a platinum, he will get three bags up to 70 lbs. each. (again, no extra for the amex)

2) As stated above, you aren't entitled to it. Rule states you need to be on the same reservation to get the benefit. Since you're silver, you'll get one bag for free up to 70 lbs (as would your child, assuming she has a confirmed seat). You mentioned that you have the amex. As long as you are the primary card holder (not your husband), you, and those in your reservation, will get 2 bags at 70 lbs. (1 for being silver plus one for the amex.)

3) Medallion upgrade status is determined by the highest person in a reservation, with up to one companion. So, if you and your husband are together in a reservation, you both will clear at the gold or platinum level. You don't drag him down. This was a recent change, and with that change, you must be in the same reservation. There is no longer "linking." The best you can do now is let him be in his own reservation since you can't book together. Then you and your non-statused child will get the equivalent of silver benefits, including upgrades.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If you check-in together even on different reservations, as long as you're flying the same flights they'll treat you as if on one together.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
If you check-in together even on different reservations, as long as you're flying the same flights they'll treat you as if on one together.
They might, and they likely will. Nevertheless, it isn't guaranteed and could get messy if you had a difficult agent.
Old May 23, 2017, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for clarification and the reminder that I will still get two bags as silver plus my daughter. Yes my husband and I each have separate Amex delta platinum cards.

Just remembered I can have a box as luggage too, thereby not having to bring empty luggage back. Have only done that with a case of wine, crossing my fingers and every bottle survived unbroken!
Old May 23, 2017, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

checking baggage

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
They might, and they likely will. Nevertheless, it isn't guaranteed and could get messy if you had a difficult agent.
Ah so when we check our bags in person...especially at the medallion check-in they make the call. Thats great...but true they could be helpful or not but good to know they can decided. Perhaps we would risk one extra bag. Well have to rent a bigger car when we get there too lol
Old May 23, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Delta's verbage is as follows:
"The benefit extends to up to 8 travel companions, who must be listed on the Card Member’s reservation — for a total of 9 passengers."

So it's not just ON the same reservation (not IN same itinerary), but listed, as in linked as traveling together.

I've done this several times, once with 8 companions, only one of which was on my reservation.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BHammy
Delta's verbage is as follows:
"The benefit extends to up to 8 travel companions, who must be listed on the Card Member’s reservation — for a total of 9 passengers."

So it's not just ON the same reservation (not IN same itinerary), but listed, as in linked as traveling together.

I've done this several times, once with 8 companions, only one of which was on my reservation.
"listed on the reservation" is the same as saying "on the same PNR". However, as has been said several times, checkin agents will usually extend the benefits to other companions at their discretion.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by matthew64832
"listed on the reservation" is the same as saying "on the same PNR". However, as has been said several times, checkin agents will usually extend the benefits to other companions at their discretion.
This.
Old May 24, 2017, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
I have had "PNR entourage" on my NGO trips where We all got the 3 bags.

Same itinerary, different PNR is a YMMV situation.

Last edited by tentseller; May 24, 2017 at 8:49 am
Old May 24, 2017, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tentseller
I have had "NPR entourage" on my NGO trips where We all got the 3 bags.

Same itinerary, different PNR is a YMMV situation.
Do you mean "PNR entourage" or are you traveling for National Public Radio?
Old May 24, 2017, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you mean "PNR entourage" or are you traveling for National Public Radio?
Noted with thanks and corrected
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:26 pm
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL

Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve and 1.2 MM
Hi all,
im traveling JFK-LAX as a GM in the Main Cabin this weekend. I’m moving back to the LA area and would
like to maximize my baggage allowance. My mom is flying with me on a separate PNR and she has no status. I had DL link our accounts so we can have preferred seating. However, it looks like from prior experiences that my Medallion baggage benefit can be extended to companions on separate PNRs. Is this true? How should I approach the agent about this? Do they have some type of internal rule that allows this exception?
If indeed this is permissible, my mom will also be able to check-in 2 bags at 70 lbs each, right?

Thanks so much!! any advice is greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did linking tickets actually permit the selection of a preferred seat online, or did the agent just move your mother to a preferred seat? Linking does not mean your tickets on the same reservation. The agents are most likely just doing people favors by moving companions to preferred seats rather than following some form of internal policy. The documented policy says that companions must be on same res for preferred seats/luggage benefits. What's the point of putting that requirement in there if they don't really mean it?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:35 am
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL

Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve and 1.2 MM
Geez, LBJ, I already know we are in different PNRs. Regardless of whether or not our tickets are linked, we are still on different PNRs. I don’t care about preferred seating. I already got those seats. My post is about baggage policies and if it can be extended to people who are not in the same reservation as prior reports have shown this to be allowed. Got my question? I’ll de-link the reservation to make you happy. Supposedly, it has helped in irrops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.