Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from Paid F after Check-in ?!?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond

A strange thing happened to us recently, and as I'm not a heavy DL flier I was curious as to what happened and whether this is something to expect in the future from DL.

We booked paid F LGA-ORD about 3 months in advance; no status. Selected seats 1CD. All was well up to and including check-in at T-24. At T-4, I double-checked our BPs to find that (a) we had been downgraded to Comfort + and (b) the F Seat map was full. I called to find out what was going on. First they said there was an aircraft change; there wasn't. Then they said there was a schedule change; there wasn't. There were weather delays between LGA and ORD, but my flight was unaffected. After a long call -- we were in the cab on the way to the airport by the time it was done -- they got us in F on an earlier flight that had been delayed.

Anyway, what gives? I've been FAMed before, but not after check-in. Certainly as paid F we shouldn't have been downgraded; looking at the list it seemed clear at least six pax had upgraded. Had I not called, we'd have been SOL. I'm nervous because I've got 3 other itins booked in paid F on RJs for much longer flights. Is this something I can expect in the future with DL? I've had my seat changed but never bumped out of paid F on UA or AA...
Old May 23, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
This takes a bit of the shine off of the FCM product.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
This seems to be happening with an increasing frequency.

You would think that DL would fix an IT issue that has the potential to damage one of its best sources of revenue (assuming it's IT and not something more nefarious).
Old May 23, 2017, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WWads
This seems to be happening with an increasing frequency.

You would think that DL would fix an IT issue that has the potential to damage one of its best sources of revenue (assuming it's IT and not something more nefarious).
So you think the DG was an IT issue and not something intentional?
Old May 23, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I believe the downgrade compensation is something like fare difference at booking + $200, which I probably would have taken for a quick LGA-ORD flight.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
No clue why it happened but for future reference you should get a $200 travel voucher and the fare difference for an involuntary downgrade.
I have the two times it has happened to me and think that is the standard compensation from DL.

Something to consider if it happens again.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: DL, UA
Are you sure there wasn't a swap from E75 to E70? Not a major swap, but the result is 3 less F seats. I have seen this happen multiple times and it seems to be happening relatively frequently on LGA-ORD and vice versa.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apodo77
No clue why it happened but for future reference you should get a $200 travel voucher and the fare difference for an involuntary downgrade.
I have the two times it has happened to me and think that is the standard compensation from DL.

Something to consider if it happens again.
Interesting. Well, it turned out all right, though I was super pissed at having to deal with this at the last minute.

Originally Posted by WidgetKid
Are you sure there wasn't a swap from E75 to E70? Not a major swap, but the result is 3 less F seats. I have seen this happen multiple times and it seems to be happening relatively frequently on LGA-ORD and vice versa.
Yep. Same plane, same number of F seats, same everything. In any case, let's say they did sub at T-4 hours. What's DL's prioritization? Will they DG full fare/no status before ugprade/status pax?
Old May 23, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like DL5975 had a E170 sub on Sunday.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/R...815Z/KLGA/KORD
Old May 23, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by as219
Interesting. Well, it turned out all right, though I was super pissed at having to deal with this at the last minute.

Yep. Same plane, same number of F seats, same everything. In any case, let's say they did sub at T-4 hours. What's DL's prioritization? Will they DG full fare/no status before ugprade/status pax?

What was your flight number/date?
Old May 23, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by as219

If it happens again just ask the red coat for the compensation.
I would have in your situation.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
What was your flight number/date?
5981 on 4/14
Old May 23, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Had this happen to me. I got the same old BS story that I paid for an economy fare that was instantly upgraded to F and since they needed my F seat I was first to be downgraded. Ridiculous BS if you ask me. When I book on Delta I request the F cabin and F pricing and I choose the fare code under the First Class column. Yet they keep claiming this is an economy fare. How is anybody supposed to know this and how does one buy an actual F fare then?
Old May 23, 2017, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by whimike
Had this happen to me. I got the same old BS story that I paid for an economy fare that was instantly upgraded to F and since they needed my F seat I was first to be downgraded. Ridiculous BS if you ask me. When I book on Delta I request the F cabin and F pricing and I choose the fare code under the First Class column. Yet they keep claiming this is an economy fare. How is anybody supposed to know this and how does one buy an actual F fare then?
Is an A fare some kind of UP fare? I thought it was just discounted F...
Old May 23, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
But a paid F PAX should be the last one downgraded.

Va Ave wants everyone buying FC, but are unwilling to provide a true first class product in return.

FC downgrades (especially paid) should be an extreme rarity, but the experiences posted on FT suggest otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.