Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How much pitch would be added by removing one row?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver

I flew in E- for the first time in years tonight and my right knee is paying the price. I flew IAH-EWR on a 737-800 in seat 31 D on the aisle. No way in hell, could I do that again. Granted I am a big guy (6'2" and 285 lbs) but that experience was inhumane. I seriously believe all of these "air raid" issues are a direct result of today's coach configuration. This was a 3 hour flight. I literally would have had gone to the front cabin and asked folks to name their price to switch seats with me if this flight was 4 or more hours. I typically am okay with a seat pitch of 32" but anything less is unbearable. My question is what would the pitch be on this aircraft if they removed one row?
Old May 22, 2017, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
31 inches removed / 14 remaining rows = 2.2 inches/row gained
Old May 22, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The problem is that you can't spread it out evenly throughout the cabin. There are fixed points which can't move (much) such as exit rows and lavatories. When you pull out one row it'll only affect the rows between those fixed points and not the entire economy cabin. That's also why you have some configurations where the E+ rows don't match up from the left to the right side such as on some of the 737-900s.

I'm 5'10" and the E- legroom is fine. I miss the extra foot room, with my carry-on under the seat, but legs and knees are fine.

I don't know if you fly United often enough but you can buy a yearly subscription to E+. I they start at $499. With your height it may be worthwhile if you do several trips per year.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/sub...on/economyplus

Last edited by LarryJ; May 22, 2017 at 9:29 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The more relevant question nowadays is how much pitch will be lost by adding one or more rows.
Old May 23, 2017, 4:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The more relevant question nowadays is how much pitch will be lost by adding one or more rows.
Indeed. Now that AA has announced their decision to add rows, can UA be far behind?
Old May 23, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
As long as demand is growing and share holders are more important than customers you can expect to see seat pitch continue to shrink on the cheapest fares.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1k, 2.3MM Flyer, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by gene2632
As long as demand is growing and share holders are more important than customers you can expect to see seat pitch continue to shrink on the cheapest fares.
^^^ Sad that someone even has to write that, but it is true.
Old May 23, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
I am 6ft 1in and 220lb and have no trouble in an E- aisle seat even 13 hours across the pacific.
It's all a state of mind IMO.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:00 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by halls120
Indeed. Now that AA has announced their decision to add rows, can UA be far behind?
Is there any more room to add more? I feel cramped enough and these new seats are terrible.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by jr0ck
Is there any more room to add more? I feel cramped enough and these new seats are terrible.
You need to fly some discount carriers. Try Spirit or Allegiant. It's even worse with European ULCCs.

Do that a couple of times and you'll think that E- is spacious.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by grapegrower
I am 6ft 1in and 220lb and have no trouble in an E- aisle seat even 13 hours across the pacific.
It's all a state of mind IMO.
Or you have disproportionately short legs

Obviously, thousands of people every day survive such a voyage. That doesn't mean I would be able to put myself in a state of mind that would let me enjoy that experience. So I choose carefully which carrier, aircraft type, and class of service I spend my money on.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Or you have disproportionately short legs

Obviously, thousands of people every day survive such a voyage. That doesn't mean I would be able to put myself in a state of mind that would let me enjoy that experience. So I choose carefully which carrier, aircraft type, and class of service I spend my money on.
I'm fat and 5'9, but for some reason I sit taller than almost everyone in Y? My wife finally let me in that I have short legs, like maybe 1-2 inches shorter than should be. I'm all torso. Y- is fine for leg room, unless there is a box down there.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:32 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by itsallgood
You need to fly some discount carriers. Try Spirit or Allegiant. It's even worse with European ULCCs.

Do that a couple of times and you'll think that E- is spacious.
Not even European ULCCs anymore... BA will be going down to 29" on their A319s and A320s. It was only a matter of time until something approaching that came to one of the US legacies (which ended up being AA) and I wouldn't be surprised to see the others follow eventually.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:34 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Remember when AA tried it?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...out-coach.html
Old May 23, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Joe K.
I seriously believe all of these "air raid" issues are a direct result of today's coach configuration.
Nope. There were boors and drunks flying from the time people started flying.

If you can't handle seat pitch less than 32" you really need to buy on E+ (or F) seating on UA/DL/AA. You demand more than what is typically offered in the standard coach config these days. Carrier (or SeatGuru) seat maps will confirm this broadly across the mainline and RJ fleets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.