Wiki Posts
Search

First mile run help!

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

First mile run help!

Hello Guys,

Today I finally able to book 6 round trip business class for PAP error fare for $369 for SEA-LAX-MIA-PAP-JFK-SEA, and I believe it will be 7000 mile if I credit to Alaska. So my questions for 3 round trip in this year do i get MVP status and another 3 round trip for next year do the mile will roll over for me to get MVP gold? how is it calculate? sorry I have not done mile run before, and I try to get help to understand this stuff? thank you!
Old May 22, 2017, 4:39 pm
vgc

If you're crediting to Alaska, you'll only get MVP status if you're only doing 3 round trips by the end of this year. The miles flown resets on January 1.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I asked a MOD to move this to the AS forum for focused answers.

Each flight will earn you X elite qualify miles and Y reward miles.
The EQMs reset each year starting January first and your elite status will be for this year (2017) and follow through to the following year (2018). Then it will expire unless you fly enough to requalify.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vgc
If you're crediting to Alaska, you'll only get MVP status if you're only doing 3 round trips by the end of this year. The miles flown resets on January 1.
If someone gift me an MVP status, then which mean this 3 round trip by the end of the year 2017 will get me MVP GOLD status right? thanks!

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
I asked a MOD to move this to the AS forum for focused answers.

Each flight will earn you X elite qualify miles and Y reward miles.
The EQMs reset each year starting January first and your elite status will be for this year (2017) and follow through to the following year (2018). Then it will expire unless you fly enough to requalify.
Ok got it, also since i fly mix business class and first class on this trip which mean I will get a cabin bonus regard to the chart below 50% for business and 100% for first class so the 7000 will actually be 10000 mile, did i understand this correct right? thanks

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp
Old May 22, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Are you planning to credit this to the AA or AS program because each have their own rules, earning rates, and such?
Old May 22, 2017, 6:25 pm

As per GCM, the r/t distance is roughly 7,950 miles and this earns 150% EQM's on AS, meaning you would earn ~12k total per trip. So your three r/t this year will net you ~36k miles, which is enough for MVP but not MVP Gold.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by newdaybegin
If someone gift me an MVP status, then which mean this 3 round trip by the end of the year 2017 will get me MVP GOLD status right? thanks!
Is this part true? Seems a bit off to me. Is a gifted MVP given the equivalent of 20k theoretical BIS EQM's and then only needs to fly 20k (or 30k partner) to reach Gold? If so, that is a pretty disgusting perk, IMO. I don't think this is how it works.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:39 pm

From what I understand, you need to earn the full 50k (40k on AS) to qualify for MVP Gold even if someone gifted you an MVP status.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Are you planning to credit this to the AA or AS program because each have their own rules, earning rates, and such?
Yes I am planing to credit Alaska not American!

Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
As per GCM, the r/t distance is roughly 7,950 miles and this earns 150% EQM's on AS, meaning you would earn ~12k total per trip. So your three r/t this year will net you ~36k miles, which is enough for MVP but not MVP Gold.
Wow this is great 12k, and what happen if another person who hold 75k status and GIFT me MVP status as a gift, which mean after 3 round trip it will reach MVP gold right? thanks!

Originally Posted by Finkface
Is this part true? Seems a bit off to me. Is a gifted MVP given the equivalent of 20k theoretical BIS EQM's and then only needs to fly 20k (or 30k partner) to reach Gold? If so, that is a pretty disgusting perk, IMO. I don't think this is how it works.
So what you saying even someone gift me MVP status which mean I still need start from strach because there is no 20k EQM as MVP? I don't know how this work that why I ask in this forum, because someone willing to gift me MVP status which will expire by 2017.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Finkface
From what I understand, you need to earn the full 50k (40k on AS) to qualify for MVP Gold even if someone gifted you an MVP status.
Gifted status doesn't come with any EQM or RDM. It would make the redeemable miles higher though due to the 50% RDM bonus.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Wow this mean the MVP will not help me with anything, at least I find this out now otherwise after 3 round trip mile run for nothing
Old May 22, 2017, 6:52 pm

If you fly with MVP status, you get 50% bonus RDM. So your 7k per trip will earn you 14k RDM. It's better than nothing.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:55 pm

Well it will increase the award mileage you earn which can be a good value.

And learning this now will help you plan your strategies going forward.
What do you want from status?

Originally Posted by newdaybegin
Wow this mean the MVP will not help me with anything, at least I find this out now otherwise after 3 round trip mile run for nothing
Old May 22, 2017, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Correct, this passes the 25K threshold for partner miles, not 50K for MVPG.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx

This page is also helpful:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...aq-status.aspx
Old May 22, 2017, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

If you fly with MVP status, you get 50% bonus RDM. So your 7k per trip will earn you 14k RDM. It's better than nothing.
Ok so on top of flying business earn 50% regard the chart below base on bonus mile for flying business, then as elite I earn another 50% right? thanks!

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp

Well it will increase the award mileage you earn which can be a good value.

And learning this now will help you plan your strategies going forward.
What do you want from status?
Yes this is so true, the only reason I want to get the status so one day I can get 75k to get 50000 mile from alaska and will get the VIP code so I can take my family for first class with those code.

Originally Posted by beckoa
Correct, this passes the 25K threshold for partner miles, not 50K for MVPG.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx

This page is also helpful:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...aq-status.aspx
Thank a lot for this ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.