BA8719 turned back to EDI

Old May 22, 2017, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, BA
BA8719 turned back to EDI

On board G-LCYD, turned back shortly after takeoff and now landed back in EDI.
Captain advised window delamination as the cause but not sure exactly what that means?
Took a 7am departure this morning to avoid overnighting yesterday but with no more flights tonight it just wasn't meant to be!
​​​​​​Well done to the captain for making the safety first call.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:09 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
This is EDI-LCY for those interested.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by joequimby
On board G-LCYD, turned back shortly after takeoff and now landed back in EDI.
Captain advised window delamination as the cause but not sure exactly what that means?
Took a 7am departure this morning to avoid overnighting yesterday but with no more flights tonight it just wasn't meant to be!
​​​​​​Well done to the captain for making the safety first call.
It means the different layers in the window had started to separate possibly causing structural weakness.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Laminate material would be some sort of a plastic-like film or thin transparent layer, similar to the protective film that some people attach to the screens of their iPads and similar devices. One also sometimes laminates driver's licenses and similar ID cards, often with a process that uses heat to attach the thin plastic sheet to the paper. For the window, the presence of laminate might help to prevent the window from shattering, for example in a bird strike.

Delamination would be the opposite of adding the laminate layer(s). Depending on how the layers peel off, visibility through the window could be negatively impacted.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, BA
Got rebooked onto tomorrow's flight but had to book my own hotel and claim back. Apparently all other staff had gone home for the night and this is the only course of action. Pretty poor IMO

Booked a hotel nearby for Ł150, what are BA like with claiming back expenses?

Will this qualify for ec261 or is it considered extraordinary circumstances?
Old May 22, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Up to Ł200 should be fine.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:38 pm

Precedent is clear that a technical fault with the aircraft is not extraordinary, so while I'm willing to be contradicted by someone more experienced, I'd say this will most likely qualify. There's a strong chance in either case that BA will initially say it's extraordinary in the hope that you'll drop the claim, in which case it'll be worth persisting.

Even if it doesn't, of course, duty of care would still apply.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:53 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Got rebooked onto tomorrow's flight but had to book my own hotel and claim back. Apparently all other staff had gone home for the night and this is the only course of action. Pretty poor IMO

Booked a hotel nearby for Ł150, what are BA like with claiming back expenses?

Sorry to hear of your cancelled flight. I don't think you'll have any issues at all claiming back for the hotel, BA are generally quite good at this and also any incidental expenses as long as you keep and send in the receipts.

EU/261 I would say so, it's not extraordinary in my view and I would stick in a claim as it is a technical issue.

We all like endings to threads so if you could perhaps post back at some point
Old May 23, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Laminate material would be some sort of a plastic-like film or thin transparent layer, similar to the protective film that some people attach to the screens of their iPads and similar devices. One also sometimes laminates driver's licenses and similar ID cards, often with a process that uses heat to attach the thin plastic sheet to the paper. For the window, the presence of laminate might help to prevent the window from shattering, for example in a bird strike.

Delamination would be the opposite of adding the laminate layer(s). Depending on how the layers peel off, visibility through the window could be negatively impacted.
Usually with commercial aircraft cockpit windows the lamination refers to several layers of glass and polymers. The layering helps make the window resistant to bird strikes and adds defogging capabilities. Here's a typical 757 cockpit windshield construction:

http://www.rense.com/general70/00d3.jpg

So delamination of a cockpit window would typically mean some kind of unintended separation between the layers of glass and polymer.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; May 23, 2017 at 9:14 am
Old May 23, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by PETER01
Sorry to hear of your cancelled flight. I don't think you'll have any issues at all claiming back for the hotel, BA are generally quite good at this and also any incidental expenses as long as you keep and send in the receipts.

EU/261 I would say so, it's not extraordinary in my view and I would stick in a claim as it is a technical issue.

We all like endings to threads so if you could perhaps post back at some point
Your EDI EU261 claims are legendary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.