AA/JL: HKG-NRT-JFK, $550ai, 17173 miles, 3.2cpm

Subscribe
Oh yeah, one other note: don't forget the special fares table can cut both ways. That is, if your flight is relatively short and expensive, you'll get better earnings with a non-bulk fare. The value is being able to cash high EQD off a long-and-cheap flight. Perhaps that should be obvious, but I figure it doesn't hurt to be explicit: always do the math.
Quote: EQD seems to be the clever bit for most people these days, 3.1 EQD/$ is pretty good stuff
Like many others, I'll be over 100K EQM this year but will be about $6K under EQD. I'm loyal to AA and OneWorld. If I were to take a trip based out of the USA in the fall, where would the best bang for my buck go in reaching the $12K? I had no idea JAL was offering $3.1/1 in this case. I'm based out of MIA, but can mobilize
Quote: Like many others, I'll be over 100K EQM this year but will be about $6K under EQD. I'm loyal to AA and OneWorld. If I were to take a trip based out of the USA in the fall, where would the best bang for my buck go in reaching the $12K? I had no idea JAL was offering $3.1/1 in this case. I'm based out of MIA, but can mobilize
That's kind of like asking the MR forum to forecast where the best mileage run will pop up this year. Nobody knows. But you're reading the right forum to find out when it happens...
Quote: Hope that helps. If I have anything wrong here, I implore those more knowledgeable to correct me.
Thank you very much for your response. I have "points both through Citi and BOA. I think that Citi points get treated as special fares, but don't know about BOA. I will have to check their proprietary booking site and ferret out the rules.
Quote: That's kind of like asking the MR forum to forecast where the best mileage run will pop up this year. Nobody knows. But you're reading the right forum to find out when it happens...
The better question is, I'm $6K short in achieving the $12K threshold. Based on the partner airlines, and understanding the best bang for your buck, is there an airline (like JL) where I purchase a premium ticket but instead of spending $6K, I spend $3K, and based on the alliance rules, I will get the $6K needed to maintain EXP?

in other words, I don't want to spend $6K to maintain EXP, is there a way to bypass this via the partners?
I'm on the JAL Partner site:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Assume I'm booking a W/E class fare (Premium Economy), it's stating that I would be receiving 20% of EQD's for every mile flown.

Let's assume I bought a $1,000 ticket (JFK - NRT), and for simplicity, it's 7.5K each way, 15K RT. So, based on that, if I flew this RT I'd be receiving (15K x .2) $3,000 EQD for this trip, even though I bought the ticket for $1,000? Of course the ticket will be closer to $2K, but there is still a 50% 'benefit' to the purchase price

Am I reading this correctly?
Quote: Am I reading this correctly?
Yes, you seem to have it right. The partners earn by distance just the way you describe, so a cheap-long partner flight (particularly in a premium cabin) can get you significantly more EQD than your actual spend. The (now long dead) deal in this thread was a good example of that, which was the point I made in post #2 on this thread and then explained further in post #15 .

Note JL isn't special in this regard, nor necessarily even one of the better options. The best ones I recall recently were the QR festival fares back at the beginning of the year. But again, I'd say your best bet is to watch this forum (and the premium fare deals sub) and check the math when you see somewhere you'd like to go.
Cheers
Quote: Thank you very much for your response. I have "points both through Citi and BOA. I think that Citi points get treated as special fares, but don't know about BOA. I will have to check their proprietary booking site and ferret out the rules.
Actually, the Thank You points bookings are treated as fare based, at least recently. Not sure about BoA points.
Quote: I'm on the JAL Partner site:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp

Assume I'm booking a W/E class fare (Premium Economy), it's stating that I would be receiving 20% of EQD's for every mile flown.

Let's assume I bought a $1,000 ticket (JFK - NRT), and for simplicity, it's 7.5K each way, 15K RT. So, based on that, if I flew this RT I'd be receiving (15K x .2) $3,000 EQD for this trip, even though I bought the ticket for $1,000? Of course the ticket will be closer to $2K, but there is still a 50% 'benefit' to the purchase price

Am I reading this correctly?
Also, CX PE earns either 20% for the lower PE fares or 22% for the W fares. I think you'll have a hard time finding PE on JL or CX for $1000. More like $1500 (CX's recent PE sale) to $2300. So, you need to do the math before you ticket. There were some good BA PE fares but from the east coast, to really make them work out at higher multiples, you would need to reposition further west. BA earning on PE fares is similar to CX.
Depending on your CC spend the Barclays Aviator card can help, getting you up to $3K in EQD.
By the way, it appears this fare to JFK is now $707, though HKG-LAX-IAD is at $521, at least the dates I checked for 2018. LAS or SFO for around $623.
Quote: Also, CX PE earns either 20% for the lower PE fares or 22% for the W fares. I think you'll have a hard time finding PE on JL or CX for $1000. More like $1500 (CX's recent PE sale) to $2300. So, you need to do the math before you ticket. There were some good BA PE fares but from the east coast, to really make them work out at higher multiples, you would need to reposition further west. BA earning on PE fares is similar to CX.

Thanks!
Quote: I can more easily and comfortably generate EQD's by flying premium cabin OW partners, QR and MH primarily, or the occsional CX or BA PE deals...... And, I don't want to fly in coach.
This -- especially for those without company-paid travel.

Two or three long-haul QR Festival fares in J (well, I) and you're easily Plat Pro. To places you might actually want to visit, and certainly in relative style.

Fill in the rest to EXP with random domestic segments.
Quote: Actually, the Thank You points bookings are treated as fare based, at least recently.
Two "recent" datapoints contrary to this: domestic flights on Jun 2 and Jun 6, purchased with TY points, and both posted as distance based.

I have another one tomorrow and will report back.