Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

solo travelling is fun. why?

Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

For me it would be the freedom I get to go wherever I want and do whatever I want to do....
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanum, Hilton Gold
I'm naturally an introvert, and according to 16 Personalities I'm an INTJ-A if you are into those kinda things.

I like being alone. I can be couped up in my home alone for days and not get cabin fever or feel the need to talk to someone, yet my background is sales. I'm not antisocial nor socially awkward... I just "recharge" when I'm alone and not interacting with people.

Traveling without a companion or coworker is time where I can reflect, evaluate, game plan and strategize both mentally and on paper. It's nice to not be bothered during this time as I am constantly interacting with others when I'm not doing this.

I think of traveling alone as a time to recharge and be even more productive, even though I'm not truly alone as thousands of people are around me in airports and hundreds on a plane.

It's amazing how much I get done when traveling alone and how much better I perform after I've been traveling.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:49 pm

no adjustments necessary

and that is the best thing.

do whatever whenever which is pretty much my creed.

as long as the costs can be borne you are free to do what you feel like without making others unhappy.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:50 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Jolly2766788
For me it would be the freedom I get to go wherever I want and do whatever I want to do....
For many, solo traveling is more about a mileage run or mattress run than anything more esoteric.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I enjoy both but a hybrid is kind of perfect for me.

I did South Africa & London with a friend of mine this past Fall and we had a great time. But we also did 2 bedroom apartments/hotels for the vast majority of the stay. In London we shared a room because of costs and we got a great employee rate at a nice hotel.

In 2015 I did Germany & Italy as a hybrid trip. I started off visiting Dusseldorf & Frankfurt on my own and then Munich & Berlin with a group of friends. Some were just for Oktoberfest and others were for both cities. Still had 2 days on my own in Berlin after a week of group travel. Then I visited family in Hanover before meeting another group of friends in Italy. That was a nice trip.

The upside to solo travel is flexibility, getting exactly what you want from the trip & not having to rely on others for paying for their share
Upsides to hybrid, couple or group travel is reduced costs, motivator to get out and see as much as possible & lack of dining/drinking alone which can be odd for some.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: HH Silver
I am in d3vi0uz's camp. I work in sales/gs and it helps me recharge. Like said, I am really never alone, as there are hundreds of people out there to reach out to should I choose to be social.

I enjoy having the companionship of my partner on longer trips, but I usually take a short trip alone quickly after returning. haha.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I love that there's no need to compromise. You don't have to care what other people think or want. You just do what you want, when you want to do it...bliss!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Traveling alone is doing what I want WHEN I want.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I love that there's no need to compromise. You don't have to care what other people think or want. You just do what you want, when you want to do it...bliss!
Agree 100%!! Besides, my chances of UGs go up when I am alone. I live with no other humans...just 2 cats. I am happier alone.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I like traveling alone when it is for work. I'm going to be spending most of my time working anyway and it allows me freedom to do whatever for meals and in the evenings without having to be "on" for a coworker for an extra 8 hours after work. It also means no schedule to coordinate.

For personal travel though I prefer to travel with at least one other person. There's just so much stuff to do that is more fun with a friend or partner, or as part of a group.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I like to travel with a partner. When I'm traveling on leisure I find extra enjoyment in having someone to share the experience with. Of course, that person's interests and pacing have to be compatible. When I'm traveling on business it's similar. I like to have a colleague to recap the day's work with and socialize a bit with over dinner. None of this means I like constant company, though. I'm happy to have down time/"me" time on flights, and I like having some quiet time in the evening, too, to rest and recharge.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: FB Gold
No need to compromise or schedule around a 2nd opinion. "Can we eat now?" "I'm tired, can we go back to the hotel?" "Slow down, I don't know how to work this ticket machine." are examples of phrases that don't happen.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:03 pm

I always thought that traveling is one of those things I would only enjoy if I was able to share that experience with others. However, after trying a solo trip I must say that I was sorely mistaken. Traveling alone gives a huge feeling of freedom. One can do anything on a whim. There's no stress about finding things that the whole group will enjoy.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:18 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Traveling alone = 10 minutes to pack

Traveling with a family = 10 days to pack

Nothing else to say!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
Solo travel + meeting other travelers along the way = best of both worlds

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.