Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Go for 150K or a second program

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Go for 150K or a second program

So ... I have travel booked that by mid May will have requalified me for EXP with 110k or so.

I'll certainly be able to get to 150k but wondering what that will get me or whether I would be better off trying to get MVP Gold or some other program with more usable miles.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Not AA.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:07 pm

do you think delta skypesos are more useful? i'm starting to wonder.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Depends on whether 2 extra SWUs are worth foregoing a handful of miles (assuming you're earning at the lowest tier in the other program) that may be more useful to you.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
It's simply two SWUs plus miles earned on AA. Both are harder to use these days, but if you can then the experience as a EXP is even better - for example, having access to lounges when traveling internationally is a great perk.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
It's simply two SWUs plus miles earned on AA. Both are harder to use these days, but if you can then the experience as a EXP is even better - for example, having access to lounges when traveling internationally is a great perk.
Experience as EXP is definitely good.

Last year, I found a couple of sub 2k international J fares on AA that I used. If I found another one of those and used by AS FF number for it rather than my AA EXP number, what lounge access would I get?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Experience as EXP is definitely good.

Last year, I found a couple of sub 2k international J fares on AA that I used. If I found another one of those and used by AS FF number for it rather than my AA EXP number, what lounge access would I get?
You'd get business class lounge access. Depending on when this is, that may be the same for AA (soon Flagship Lounge will be for business + OW Sapphire), but if you're flying where other OW airlines have first class lounges you may have problems accessing them while using your AS FF#.

To answer your question, I see very little upside to getting to 150K EQM on AA. Having status on another carrier to make it easier to have an alternative when AA isn't competitive would be the way I'd go.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
Like all the FF programs, Delta has strengths and weaknesses based on your travel patterns, preferred cabin class, and home airport in terms of usefulness. It can be helpful to do some award ticket search for preferred destinations 3/6/9 months out and see what turns up.

If you're on the East Coast, and want often decent redemption options for Europe and simple domestic routes, Delta can be quite acceptable. Other regions and their partner redemptions, not so much, it seems.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Of course, while earning status on another program, you are not using the status you have earned on AA. It depends on your flying habits as to whether or not getting status on another carrier is worth it, as opposed to not using the benefits you already have on AA
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by mvoight
Of course, while earning status on another program, you are not using the status you have earned on AA
^
Agreed.
why not take it on a case by case basis?

Why fly DL or US as a nobody when you can fly AA as EXP and enjoy the perks

Of course I am assuming OP flies mostly economy. Since it is when one flies economy when the EXP perks are more evident.

If mostly flying paid J, then maybe I would be seeking to try other J products
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
Of course, while earning status on another program, you are not using the status you have earned on AA. It depends on your flying habits as to whether or not getting status on another carrier is worth it, as opposed to not using the benefits you already have on AA
OP may be able to match status to another program, so then the flying would be to maintain some level of status rather than to achieve it in the first place.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Prior to the current devaluation, the extra SWUs were a slam dunk. Now my recommendation is to status match. Not saying SWUs are worthless but they are worth less than they used to be. If your travel patterns are such that you can status match and earn top status on another airline, you greatly increase you flexibility for the following year.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
These days they do compared to disAAdvantage miles.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
as a public service to the rest of us who are unhappy with the current value of the miles please status match to another program and take your business elsewhere. Until AA feels the sting from their current aadvantage strategy nothing will change. I'm not EXP though...so I might feel differently if I was the one getting a free seat up front. Nevertheless, if AA doesn't feel any pain from the reduced value (to the customer) of their "loyalty" program they would be crazy to make any customer positive changes.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:50 pm

For the flights I'm looking at, I'd say "no" for the Delta miles. No award chart, dynamic/fluctuating pricing.

Depends on when/where you're looking at if Delta has any 'saver' awards. Definitely not in FC to say, Hawaii (I've found a few on AA, but was needing two seats and didn't want to fly two separate routes).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.