Wiki Posts
Search

UA Compensation Process and the IRS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
UA Compensation Process and the IRS

On two recent United flights I was gladly able to volunteer my seat for a voucher and rebooking to another a flight. One of which was prior to the unfortunate mess UA finds themselves in and one today. On both occasions I was asked to fill out some paperwork which included my address, city, state, zip and signature.

This paperwork seems new this year and I'm wondering why United needs this information? Will I be receiving a 1099 from the airlines? Do I need to use my United profile address if it defers from my new current home address? Any thoughts would be great.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:39 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I haven't ever had to provide that type of info, and definitely have never had any tax implications from volunteering or anything related to ticketed travel. I doubt UA wants to be in that issue either, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I had to fill something like that out when I got a ps op-up. Was it printed on boarding pass stock?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by smxflyer
I had to fill something like that out when I got a ps op-up. Was it printed on boarding pass stock?
Yes, printed at the gate both times. One today and one a month ago.

As well, does it really matter what address I use? I have two homes and have my profile set in a different state than I'm living in right now.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The paperwork is not new (it has been required by Continental and United throughout the 2000s). I have filled this out a couple of dozen times when getting VDB'd. I can't remember whether I have been successfully VDB'd and received a printed e-cert voucher *without* filling out this paperwork but I think, no, not recently.

The paperwork does not lead to a 1099.

In my experience the address you print has no effect on anything.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by flyforever
Will I be receiving a 1099 from the airlines?
I am not a tax professional.

However, per my experience, if UA intends to issue a 1099-MISC to you, UA should have either your W-9 (assuming you are a U.S. person) or SSN on file.

If you never give those out, UA is unlikely to issue a 1099-MISC to you.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:29 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by mherdeg
The paperwork is not new (it has been required by Continental and United throughout the 2000s). I have filled this out a couple of dozen times when getting VDB'd. I can't remember whether I have been successfully VDB'd and received a printed e-cert voucher *without* filling out this paperwork but I think, no, not recently.

The paperwork does not lead to a 1099.

In my experience the address you print has no effect on anything.
Correct as to "the paperwork" being around since way back when, always having to fill it out upon a successful vdb and that it will have no tax consequences
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by garykung

However, per my experience, if UA intends to issue a 1099-MISC to you, UA should have either your W-9 (assuming you are a U.S. person) or SSN on file.

Agreed. Has anyone ever gotten a 1099 for a comped meal after a less than ideal dinner experience??? Nope!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's nonetheless a good concern to raise (not the 1099-MISC, but the income issue).

With all the discussion of increased compensation and attention drawn to VDB, more businesses are likely to enforce a prohibition on employees accepting VDB and with DL touting VDB up to $9,900 (not that it will really pay that much), this issue will catch IRS attention.

IDB/VDB isn't income if you paid for the ticket (nor is the comped meal from post #8 ) unless a third party paid for the ticket. But, if your employer paid for the ticket and you pocket the compensation, that's income you will need to report.

Unfortunately, recent events have drawn attention to the issue and you can bet that it's now going to get attention.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold
Here is a good blog post discussing the issue.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ation-taxable/

​​​​​​
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:32 pm

The paperwork is not new, and it does not matter what you write on it (I was told by a GA when I asked which address I should use)
Old Apr 23, 2017, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
DL asks for this if you're not crediting your SkyMiles
AA doesn't ask for this
old UA never asked for this
CO always asked for this

Since CO asked for this, and they're using CO systems, UA asks for this.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Spot on !

Originally Posted by garykung

Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Many VDB's over the years. Never asked for SS#, never received a 1099, don't ever expect to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.