United, based on pax complaint, calls police on false report of child trafficking

Subscribe
IMHO, United had no business contacting authorities.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...ight/22043344/

Quote:
The wife of a Mexican man who was accused of trafficking his own child on a United Airlines flight spoke out about the ordeal in a piece for the Huffington Post on Monday.

Maura Furfey, a Spanish teacher and mother of three, says that her husband and 3-year-old daughter were returning from a trip to Mexico to visit her husband's mother and great-grandmother, "who they see but once a year."
It seems odd that if some passenger wants to "get you" (maybe they think you took their upgrade...who knows!?) they can just give a ridiculous suspicion to the crew and the crew will relay that. The crew should say "If you're concerned, contact the Police yourself."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b01566972250cf

Quote:
Driving over the George Washington Bridge to pick up my husband and daughter at Newark Airport after a week’s vacation in Cancun, México to visit his family, I received a call from an official from Port Authority. This person identified himself as a sergeant and proceeded to tell me that there was an ‘incident’ on the plane that involved my husband and daughter. My heart was in my throat ― I couldn’t even bring myself to respond because my mind was racing to grasp all of the possibilities of what could have happened on the plane. My biggest fear: were they hurt? The sergeant assured me that they were both fine, but I was already in shock, and it felt as if my whole world was closing in on me.

My husband is Mexican. I am of Irish descent. Our daughter, three years old, looks like both of us: she has dark hair and almond eyes with white skin. They had traveled to Mexico to spend time with his mother, her grandmother, who they see but once a year. This was precious time, time for my daughter to connect with her father’s side of the family, and I embraced them going, while I stayed home because of work. I had never imagined what would happen upon their return.
Lots of questions in my mind. This man was with his daughter on an international flight. Did anyone check their passports? Do they have the same last name? Human traffiking is a real problem but accosting families is a real problem too. Once again the questions will fall to was United to blame or the the law enforcement officials over react? On a domestic flight the 3 year old would not need any ID but on an international fight I believe everyone needs a passport to board.
United had absolutely no business to involve authorities here. If a stupid passenger had any racial issues with another passenger, he/she could call police and deal with it.

Anyone arriving on international flight goes through customs / immigration and the officers are well aware about children trafficking and should ask relevant questions. Father and child should also both have passports and they probably have the same last name.
Human Trafficking is a HUGE problem and airplanes are routinely used to transport the girls. All FAs & airline employees receive training to spot the signs and react accordingly.

Don't know the particulars in this case, but I would rather the occasional innocent person be inconvenienced than a human trafficker slip through with their victim.
Allowing a passenger to act like they're law enforcement, by using the authority of the flight attendants who bought the story to call real law enforcement, is just another example of how UA instantly reacts in the most negative way that is at hand. In the air? Just boot the woman to coach, too bad old woman. Hope you suffer (and did for weeks). On the ground? Call the cops. In some sense this nonsense is actually worse than a strike. At least with a strike, you can make alternative plans. Here we have abuse that happens to people at random. That will scare away people even if your ontime percentage is 100%. Who cares about arriving on time if you have to put up with abuse -- usually verbal but now they're getting physical -- along the way?
When airline staff and airport staff attend child trafficking sensitivity training, I'm surprised there aren't more false accusations like this.
Clueless flight attendants attend a training session in "human trafficking" and they can't help themselves - they've been educated about something they will likely never encounter, but they have to put their training to use.

Just another example of "big catch syndrome" not unlike the passengers and flight attendants who were sure they had spotted the next terrorists. Remember Annie Jacobson?

Compounding the foolishness of the FAs were the pilots who passed along their nonsense claim to the authorities.

Think about it logically. Father and daughter went thru airport security in Mexico. The ticket agents and gate agents in Mexico did not intervene (as there was no basis to intervene, as they examined the passports and notarized statement from the mother).

Yet UA flight employees think they've made the next "big catch" in human trafficking and cause this family emotional trauma. And then UA offers mom a $100 voucher. Imbeciles.

No doubt their defense will be "better safe than sorry."
I believe the husband and wife in this ordeal may regard themselves are being more than just "inconvenienced".
Purpose: This InFO informs Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) Part 121 and 135 operators of the statutory requirement to provide F/As with training regarding recognizing and responding to potential human trafficking victims.

Unclear if FAs are required to report reports of human trafficking but appears at the minimum they are encouraged to report such by the FAA.
Quote: Human Trafficking is a HUGE problem and airplanes are routinely used to transport the girls. All FAs & airline employees receive training to spot the signs and react accordingly.

Don't know the particulars in this case, but I would rather the occasional innocent person be inconvenienced than a human trafficker slip through with their victim.
If you read the article, this was not an inconvenience but a verbal assault by US authorities that traumatized an innocent daughter. No excuse for this, and I don't buy the "better safe than sorry" routine - not for this, not for anything.

If a trafficker slips through, they slip through - sorry about that. Their luck will run out eventually and justice will be served - justice is not to be served by an obnoxious, over-eager soccer Mom sticking her nose where it doesn't belong, and crew members yet again overstepping their authority.

It's interesting how some of us are left to fend for ourselves when an obviously intoxicated drunkard is making our flight miserable and becoming a nuisance and the crew can only giggle with delight and pour more drinks, but the moment someone speaks Arabic, looks a little off, or is suspecting of something by a busy-body in the next seat, they turn into little FBI agents

Hopefully part of Oscar's new approach to be announced by April 30th, according to the email I received tonight, will in part instruct crew members to stop being such royal pains in the butt with things that are none of their business and start focusing on things that are.
Similar case at SAT where someone "tipped off" and scadattled on their merry way while leaving this guy to deal with the fall out: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...t-airport.html
Quote: If you read the article, this was not an inconvenience but a verbal assault by US authorities that traumatized an innocent daughter. No excuse for this, and I don't buy the "better safe than sorry" routine - not for this, not for anything.
Exactly. The only difference between this nosy pax and, say, the Pizzagate Shooter, is that this woman gets the Government to wave the guns around to entertain her crazy delusions.
Quote: Purpose: This InFO informs Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) Part 121 and 135 operators of the statutory requirement to provide F/As with training regarding recognizing and responding to potential human trafficking victims.

Unclear if FAs are required to report reports of human trafficking but appears at the minimum they are encouraged to report such by the FAA.
After all that training, how did they get it so utterly, completely wrong?
Quote: If you read the article, this was not an inconvenience but a verbal assault by US authorities that traumatized an innocent daughter. No excuse for this, and I don't buy the "better safe than sorry" routine - not for this, not for anything.

If a trafficker slips through, they slip through - sorry about that. Their luck will run out eventually and justice will be served - justice is not to be served by an obnoxious, over-eager soccer Mom sticking her nose where it doesn't belong, and crew members yet again overstepping their authority.

It's interesting how some of us are left to fend for ourselves when an obviously intoxicated drunkard is making our flight miserable and becoming a nuisance and the crew can only giggle with delight and pour more drinks, but the moment someone speaks Arabic, looks a little off, or is suspecting of something by a busy-body in the next seat, they turn into little FBI agents

Hopefully part of Oscar's new approach to be announced by April 30th, according to the email I received tonight, will in part instruct crew members to stop being such royal pains in the butt with things that are none of their business and start focusing on things that are.
Again, I stated I did not read the specifics of this case (I will now). I just want to reiterate that Human Trafficking using airlines is a BIG problem. The knee jerk reactions from many posters that IT (Human Trafficking) is none of UA's business just rubbed me the wrong way.

Reading any story written during this "slam" UA period is getting tiresome.
All the media outlets concentrate on is the negative slant to any story about UA. Maybe the writer could include some of the background information on the Human Trafficking problem to bring context to the situation. They might also list the protocols that airline personnel are REQUIRED to follow when this happens. At least then the reader can make an informed decision about what they are reading.
Fine, then please do explain how this situation calls for ringing the human trafficking bell. No, you can't use the busybody next door passenger as "evidence". That is hearsay.