Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't DL adverrise the 20 minute guarantee at baggage claim?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

Maybe they do but had to gate check my bag today and no signage at CLT.

30 minutes and counting and went to the office to inquire about the 20 minute guarantee. Gave me a postcard for next steps.

Was happy to ask and collect my 2500 miles. :-)

Last edited by apodo77; Mar 30, 2017 at 6:05 am
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:15 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by apodo77
I've definitely seen airports where they have a sign but it's kept tucked away against a wall in the corner or something.

The "why" question answers itself I think. (Not saying that's a good or bad thing, just a likely reason.)
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:21 pm

Some airports won't allow signage to be posted in the carousel area, including mine. Announcements would help in theory, but then you get swamped with people who don't even have a SkyMiles account asking why they aren't treated the same. Basically, the customers aware of the promotion can benefit, and the ones who aren't probably wouldn't use the miles anyway. I dunno.

Edit:I'm pretty sure it's advertised online and in email communications. FWIW I hand out the informational cards when it's longer than 20 minutes, but I don't think the average person fills it out.

Last edited by Widgets; Mar 29, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by apodo77

30 minutes and counting and went to the office to inquire about the 20 minute guarantee. Gave me a postcard for next steps.

Delta fans to deride me in 3, 2, 1......
SMF is always over 20 minutes. Never filed a complaint.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:29 pm

Delete
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I've seen ads for it at some airports, but not all. There is probably a good reason for that (see Widgets post), but feel free to claim your 2,500 miles. I always do. I figure it helps to make up for some of the lost miles from going to a revenue based system.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:38 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BigDawg23
SMF is always over 20 minutes. Never filed a complaint.
It's not a complaint. . . .

It's a VERY simple online form: https://www.delta.com/bags/bagsClaimAutomation.action

It's automated. It asks you a couple of simple questions, and, after you click "SUBMIT", if your claim is accurate, your miles pop into your account - - (Immediately last time I did it).

NO human interaction needed, or complaint to file. You're missing out on MILES, Dawg!!!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
I filled out this form for the very first time a couple weeks ago after a friend reminded me of this. It really is simple and the miles showed up in my account immediately. Most of the time my luggage comes out within 20mins so I don't even think twice.

But it's definitely worth the minute to fill out the form for easy miles
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
BWI has pretty large (4 ft?) sign right in front of carousel #13 . My bags took 25 minutes on Monday and, like others, I received the 2500 miles instantly after filling out the form.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
BWI has pretty large (4 ft?) sign right in front of carousel #13 . My bags took 25 minutes on Monday and, like others, I received the 2500 miles instantly after filling out the form.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
I get more miles from the 20 minute guarantee than I do from flying now #givecheapostheirRDMsback

Many domestic airports have it posted at baggage claim. I have never missed a claim at BWI and just had my first miss at PIT (18 minutes ). As Dave says, it is super easy to claim online.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by pgh234
just had my first miss at PIT (18 minutes )
I think I've only gotten it once, maybe twice here at PIT. They're usually very efficient! I don't usually check bags going outbound.

That said - (as I posted in the main BagsOnTime thread) - Last nite, my flight arrived at 11:58PM and my bag arrived at 12:18!!

Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by davetravels
I think I've only gotten it once, maybe twice here at PIT. They're usually very efficient! I don't usually check bags going outbound.

That said - (as I posted in the main BagsOnTime thread) - Last nite, my flight arrived at 11:58PM and my bag arrived at 12:18!!

There is a period around 11PM when the LGA, JFK, DTW, and MSP flights tend to arrive in unison. It is a good time to check a bag even if you don't need to. ^
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234
It is a good time to check a bag even if you don't need to. ^
Haha! Don't think I haven't considered it!!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I'm guessing it's also less likely to see signage at airports where DL and other airlines share carousels.

ATL South, where it's all DL all the time... There is large signage everywhere including banners wrapped around the base of every single carousel.

Last time my flight's bags were delayed, a red coat was floating around telling everyone to claim their 2500 miles and pointing out the website plastered on the carousel in 12-in tall letters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.