Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Best Card for Annual Flights to Europe from West Coast?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Card for Annual Flights to Europe from West Coast?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Smile Best Card for Annual Flights to Europe from West Coast?

I am a single dad in the Northwestern US who is planning to start visiting Europe each year (Ireland first, of course) in a couple years with my child.

We travel just once a year, usually first class, using miles to upgrade from coach. Flying first class is our one luxury each year.
We are used to traveling to Maui and Alaska. I have the Alaska VISA card, with the companion fare.

I am trying to make out if my Alaska VISA is the best card for also flying to Europe once a year, or if there is a second card that I should get to make first class travel to Europe possible (affordable).
I have excellent credit.
I put about 20k in expenses on my current credit card year year.

Thanks for any thoughts.
best,
Mac
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by EitleoirAbair
... that I should get to make first class travel to Europe possible (affordable).
Unlikely, given that international First class is 2 to 3 classer higher than coach. Settle for business or premium economy class (depending on how you define "affordable").
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You'll need to be a bit more precise than that. Upgrading from economy to business class with miles is not always possible as many fare classes are excluded. On airlines that have a premium economy class it's not possible at all. Also, there are high surcharges. More details would be useful!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It depends on the FF program, fare class, etc., but I'd assume that TATL upgrades will realistically cost 30,000 miles per person per direction if upgrade space is available. I doubt that $20,000 spend on any credit card can earn that many miles.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
As pointed out above international and standard domestic fare classes are a bit different. Standard domestic F class is equivalent to Premium Economy on most carriers. Business class is usually a lie-flat seat with multicourse meals & other perks such as lounge access before the flight, better entertainment systems & luggage allowances. PE on some airlines (VS, LH, AF) are a real treat and can make traveling, especially with a littler one, a lot easier while not killing your budget.

AS is a great program for redemption options and for many premium classes a rather good bargain but the earning potentials for bonuses are rather limited compared to other options. Also remember that many programs offer 1 way awards which gives you more options to travel when you want & not needing large balances in one program.

Also remember that when leaving from certain airports in the UK you will pay a high fee when traveling in a premium class but when departing from an EU city those fees are much less. So if you're ever going to go via London (for example) it's best to fly into London and then head to an EU destination and then fly back via London to limit those fees.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk EitleoirAbair.

As you're inquiring what cards to use to maximize mileage, we'll send your query to the Credit Card forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I am trying to see, is there a better card than the Alaska card if I am going to be going to Europe in a couple years.
Yes, I understand that 20k in expenses each year put on a card is not enough to upgrade to first class each year.
I guess I would be looking for a card with a one-time bonus that would enable an upgrade to premium or first class the first year.

As for airlines, if I cannot get a direct flight from PDX or Seattle or Vancouver, B.C., to Shannon or Dublin, I would rather fly from PDX to some place like Chicago, and go direct from there.
I have done the flight from the US to Dublin via London. Och.

I wish there were a web site that showed which airlines fly from x city to y city, direct or with one stop, without showing a hundred and one flights and dates and times.

Thanks again.

Mac
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:10 am
Suspended

There is @:-). It's called Wikipedia. Just enter the name of an airport and it will tell you what airlines serve which cities directly.

As said above, I think you need to manage your expectations on upgrades. They cost a lot of points, are usually restricted to be used with higher fare category economy tickets, may only be applicable to premium economy, and/or come with co-pay fees.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:09 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

I wish there were a web site that showed which airlines fly from x city to y city, direct or with one stop, without showing a hundred and one flights and dates and times.
More important than list of airlines would be ones that will let you buy up to Biz IMHO.

And those upgrades tend not to be cheap - I am waitlisted for a $550 and 20K mile upgrade on Chicago to Brussels leg of my journey to Europe. Booked a month ago for a trip in just over a month.

I am most familiar with United as that is where my status is, but I do not believe any other airline is more generous with its upgrade policy - though there may be opportunities to upgrade for Ca$h, but that tends to be even more costly in terms of money.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Might also be worth looking into upgrades using Avios on BA. I think you have to buy premium economy to be able to upgrade to business, and their product doesn't get the greatest reviews, but it may be more attainable than other options.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:56 am
Original Poster

What are Avios and BA?
Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:01 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
What are Avios and BA?
Thanks.
Avios are points on BA - British Airways.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WrightHI
Might also be worth looking into upgrades using Avios on BA. I think you have to buy premium economy to be able to upgrade to business, and their product doesn't get the greatest reviews, but it may be more attainable than other options.
Also not cheap, and there needs to be J availability.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.