Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Colorado Storm travel waiver 31 March & 1 April 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Colorado Spring Storm

Airports:
Aspen, CO (ASE)
Colorado Springs, CO (COS)
Denver, CO (DEN)
Durango, CO (DRO)
Grand Junction, CO (GJT)
Gunnison, CO (GUC)
Hayden, CO (HDN)
Montrose/Telluride, CO (MTJ)
Vail/Eagle, CO (EGE)

​​​​​​​​​​​​Original travel date(s): March 31 - April 1

Flight changes: The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new United flights departing on or before April 5, 2017, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.​​​
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

not sure if official waiver but:

Because of winter weather affecting areas of Colorado on March 31-April 1, we are offering additional flexibility that may allow you to change your travel plans. See united.com/importantnotices for details.

Your travel is important to us, and we'll make every effort to prevent unnecessary disruptions.

Please be sure to check flight status on the United app or at united.com/flightstatus before going to the airport, and sign up to receive flight status messages in the event of changes.

Thank you for choosing United.
I was able to change ewr-den-las to EWR-LAS
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a link to the waiver: https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

Looks like a wide range of Colorado airports, for flights on 3/31 or 4/1, reschedule through 4/5.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
not sure if official waiver
I got the text and email well before the website was updated, so I was a little confused at first too.

Rebooking online is still showing a change fee, but I think I remember the website waiving the fee for past weather issues.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Storm coming in Friday night into Saturday but I haven't seen any reports of major accumulation. Just a typical spring storm for Denver.

Could be a blizzard or just a couple of flakes - hard to tell what we're going to get.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/weat...orado-forecast
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I'm scheduled to fly to DEN-IAH-LHR departing on Saturday afternoon but really not sure what to do at this point. As usual our spring storms are extremely unpredictable and temperature is going to play a big role in whether this is rain or snow. They are saying lows from anywhere from 32-34 on Friday night so hard to tell if things will really accumulate.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Coskigirl
I'm scheduled to fly to DEN-IAH-LHR departing on Saturday afternoon but really not sure what to do at this point. As usual our spring storms are extremely unpredictable and temperature is going to play a big role in whether this is rain or snow. They are saying lows from anywhere from 32-34 on Friday night so hard to tell if things will really accumulate.
Agreed but we have had some nasty March Blizzards in the past (2003, 1997, if you have to be in LHR I would see if you could leave Friday and maybe you could even convince UA to put you on the nonstop on BA or through FRA on LH (more likely).
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I just flew out of EGE into DEN and had no problems. Not much happening in the mountains when I left but I know Denver and front range may get some of these spring storms. Given what UA is stating I would just sit tight, watch the local Denver weather, and expect to get out on Saturday. If you were flying DEN - EGE or ASE that would be a different story. Good Luck and save travels!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by N104UA
Agreed but we have had some nasty March Blizzards in the past (2003, 1997, if you have to be in LHR I would see if you could leave Friday and maybe you could even convince UA to put you on the nonstop on BA or through FRA on LH (more likely).
Oh, I'm well aware of what could happen. And I LOVE snow so I'm really sad to be leaving so I can't enjoy it. Fortunately, I've already built in a 1 day buffer before my critical meetings. I'm going to see what the forecast looks like tomorrow but might just see if I can get on an early flight to Houston so that I can absorb departure delays there.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Oh, I'm well aware of what could happen. And I LOVE snow so I'm really sad to be leaving so I can't enjoy it. Fortunately, I've already built in a 1 day buffer before my critical meetings. I'm going to see what the forecast looks like tomorrow but might just see if I can get on an early flight to Houston so that I can absorb departure delays there.
If you can do it why not, UA won't be charging a fee. I just came out of the mountains and they really need the snow there unlike the Sierra's which is crazy this year. Skiing at Vail/Beaver was poor at best with brown out areas at exposed rocks. Didn't want to go but they need a foot (or more) of snow in Vail and Arapahoe Basin to get descent spring skiing going.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: United 1MM
I'm flying BWI-DEN-LAX-MEL on Friday. I got the email about the waiver, but just tried to go and look at changes, and they're not free! Thanks, United!

I'd like to be able to maybe fly out of IAD instead of BWI, but I'm guessing that isn't possible. I'm stuck on the 4:10pm from BWI-DEN, and if I get stuck in DEN, so be it. I just hope I'm not stuck in BWI. Ugh.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by briank1973
I'm flying BWI-DEN-LAX-MEL on Friday. I got the email about the waiver, but just tried to go and look at changes, and they're not free! Thanks, United!

I'd like to be able to maybe fly out of IAD instead of BWI, but I'm guessing that isn't possible. I'm stuck on the 4:10pm from BWI-DEN, and if I get stuck in DEN, so be it. I just hope I'm not stuck in BWI. Ugh.
I was showing a fee online as well but called in and got changed with no fee. I'm now leaving a few hours earlier and routing through LAX because Houston is showing some chance at thunderstorms so I didn't feel like trying to manage 2 different types of weather issues.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by briank1973

You'll be fine passing through DEN on Friday. The current forecast is chance of showers starting in the afternoon. Any snow that occurs likely won't start until early Saturday morning.

This weekend storm looks like a non-event for Denver. The mountains could be a different story however.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Brick
The mountains could be a different story however.
Let's hope! <See username>
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:49 pm

Actually, checking the current forecast for Aspen and Gypsum (EGE), these airports will mostly see rain with minimal snow accumulation. The thing to watch for however with ASE and EGE is going to be the visibility and cloud ceiling. It doesn't have to be snowing to get flights into these two airport significantly delayed or outright cancelled.

Temperatures throughout the state are currently forecasted to be on the warm side, so this latest storm does not look like it will be a significant snow event. If the models aren't handling the temperatures right and it winds up being colder, then it will be a lot different.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I'm flying out Saturday morning (DEN-IAH-MCO). I don't have a lot of choice on dates, so I'm not planning on changing anything. I do think this will be a non-event. if not, I'll just have to wing it. At least I'll be home if there are any delays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.