Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Travelling with baby - parents on separate tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold

My family is in the process of moving from the UK to the US for work-related reasons. I am already in the US (setting up housing etc.), but my wife is still in the UK with our (currently) 4 week old baby. Her parents are staying at our place in the UK to help with the baby. She and the baby (and her parents) are due to fly out to the US in a few weeks time. I will be flying back to the UK to help with the move.

The result of all this is that we will have three separate bookings, all in WT, for the same flight (LHR to ORD). One return US to UK for me; a one way UK to US for my wife and our son (this is a requirement of my company's relocation package); and a return UK to US for her parents.

We will be requesting a bassinet seat for my wife and son. Is there any way to get me (and/or my in-laws) associated with her booking so that we can sit together so that I can help with the baby on the flight, or do we just need to hope we get lucky?

I have read some of the other threads on travelling with a baby so we have a plan for most of the trip through the airport, but would welcome any tips or insight from people's recent experiences.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:51 am

If you call BA with the relevant booking references they can request seat allocations for the accompanying family members as close as possible to the adult and bassinet seating.....before calling though, and to enable the agent to clear data protection, ensure that whoever makes the call is authorised on all of the bookings as a third party nominee.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by cbagent
If you call BA with the relevant booking references they can request seat allocations for the accompanying family members as close as possible to the adult and bassinet seating.....before calling though, and to enable the agent to clear data protection, ensure that whoever makes the call is authorised on all of the bookings as a third party nominee.
Seat requests for people on separate bookings can only be requested by BAEC Golds.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Seat requests for people on separate bookings can only be requested by BAEC Golds.
Not the case...any passenger with an infant on the reservation can ask for accompanying passengers on a separate pnr to have adjacent seating allocated.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board BakerStreet81 and I immediately thought of the fantastic song so I am playing it as I type this

I see cbagent has answered your query so hopefully that will give you peace of mind. I did actually think the same as UKTravekbear in that seperate PNR's for non Golds couldn't be accomodated or even asked for and that's the beauty of the board in many ways. Folks with direct knowledge (thanks for that cbagent ^)
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
from family travel seating

Free seating when you travel with an infant

When you travel with an infant (under 2) who won't be travelling in a seat of their own, you can reserve a seat for yourself and everyone in your booking , free of charge, as soon as you've made your booking (except for bookings of over 9 people).
(my bold)

To me that is people on the actual same booking and not those who have been linked by a 'To Complete Party'.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:42 am

I can only urge calling BA. Having done the job for over 20 years I can assure you that passengers on separate booking but on the same flight can request adjacent seating in these circumstances.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Thank you all for your responses and for the welcome. It's something of a relief to know that we can arrange to be together on the flight - should make the experience slightly more bearable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.