Wiki Posts
Search

CX alcohol policy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: gate lice
CX alcohol policy

I'm not 18 yet -- but I lied and said I was, and managed to get a few glasses of champagne down (in J class).

Halfway through the flight the purser came over and told me that since this (HKG-JFK) is a U.S. flight, I had to be 21. I didn't want to push the lie even further, so I stopped drinking

1) What is CX's alcohol policy? I mean, I wasn't even aware that CX had any alcohol policy on any flight, 18+ or 21+ (to U.S.), at all. When I was 10 I flew YVR-HKG as an unaccompanied minor in Y class and asked for a glass (well, plastic cup really) of cabernet. FA looked at me like and decided to serve me anyway, just to get the Y meal service over with.

2) Does U.S. have any federal law, or FAA regulation, regarding alcohol service on flights? I am under the impression that alcohol age minimums in the U.S. are a mishmash of various state laws strung together by the threat of cut federal funding.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:33 am

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Originally Posted by leungy18
I'm not 18 yet -- but I lied and said I was, and managed to get a few glasses of champagne down (in J class).

Halfway through the flight the purser came over and told me that since this (HKG-JFK) is a U.S. flight, I had to be 21. I didn't want to push the lie even further, so I stopped drinking

1) What is CX's alcohol policy? I mean, I wasn't even aware that CX had any alcohol policy on any flight, 18+ or 21+ (to U.S.), at all. When I was 10 I flew YVR-HKG as an unaccompanied minor in Y class and asked for a glass (well, plastic cup really) of cabernet. FA looked at me like and decided to serve me anyway, just to get the Y meal service over with.

2) Does U.S. have any federal law, or FAA regulation, regarding alcohol service on flights? I am under the impression that alcohol age minimums in the U.S. are a mishmash of various state laws strung together by the threat of cut federal funding.
Never had any issues for me in any classes of travel to and from the US. Only issues I've encountered are on the ground in the US when checking in; they can't issue me a lounge invitation because of the unattended bars so they give me a meal voucher instead. However, the mobile boarding pass and online printed boarding passes still have the invitation on it so there's no issue entering.

Oddly, in J or F, the FAs always suggest a glass of bubbly or recommend a wine pairing even though they know I'm underaged (for the US).
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:54 pm

Onboard it is the alcohol law of the country of the carrier.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I recall my daughters were able to get alcohol some time after the flight left US when they were 18-20. I forgot the details. However, things may be different now.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
It could also be because the Purser could actually see OP's birthday on the iPad, instead of making a direct challenge to OP's claim that he is 18, they simply "invented" a new rule to get him from drinking any further.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Ive been passport checked onboard before.(the only time when im by myself)
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:13 am

CX's official policy is 18+.

Don't lie to the FAs about your age if under 18 as they could get into trouble for serving you. Your need to sip champagne (illegally) isn't worth jeopardising their future promotions/career.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Serving alcohol to unaccompanied minors would in my view seem like a rather egregious transgression, eminently worthy of seeing the offending crew member dismissed (or worse).
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:53 am
Suspended

Cx aside, The official line in the hk law is not to *sell* alcoholic beverages to minors. To serve would not be restricted. Yet I have a feeling buying beers in supermarket is ok too (unlike selling tobaco products).
Old Mar 29, 2017, 1:58 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
I have never ever been carded on all of my HKG-US/US-HKG flights in CX J. Not once.

[helmet mode] based crew BS again? Was it 830? [/]
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by midlevels
Serving alcohol to unaccompanied minors would in my view seem like a rather egregious transgression, eminently worthy of seeing the offending crew member dismissed (or worse).
It is correct.

In fact - serving alcohol to minors is a ground for summary dismissal and further criminal prosecution (Yes - it is a crime).

Originally Posted by kaka
Cx aside, The official line in the hk law is not to *sell* alcoholic beverages to minors. To serve would not be restricted. Yet I have a feeling buying beers in supermarket is ok too (unlike selling tobaco products).
Actually no - the law does prohibit both sale and consumption.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by garykung
It is correct.

In fact - serving alcohol to minors is a ground for summary dismissal and further criminal prosecution (Yes - it is a crime).

Actually no - the law does prohibit both sale and consumption.
you are correct re in licensed premises (restaurants).
no restrictions in other retailers anyhow
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Interesting, did you have any issues getting into the lounges ....?

Where you traveling unaccompanied , i know with my son (17) when he travels with EK the crew are more then willing to give him the wine menu and even serve him "adult grape juice " all flight long , but won't even let him in the lounge as they are terrified he we drink a bottle of vodka and get hammered somewhere in the lounge ! While i do not mind my son having a drink or two as i know he can handle it and will not take it too far , he says if the crew do not give him a wine menu then that is his indication to stick to soft drinks , if the crew proactively offer him a wine menu then it is all chocks away ! When he travel with me he has no problems , but has said that only once in EK F did the Purser indicate that will be his last drink while sipping the pre departure champagne ....

Not sure with CX/KA , but will let you know when he travels with them soon what his experience is ...
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:18 am

Location: JFK 🇺🇸 (mostly); YVR 🇨🇦 (a bit less); HKG 🇭🇰 (even less)
Programs: Marco Polo GR 😂😂; HHonors Gold; Ritz Carlton Gold
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Onboard it is the alcohol law of the country of the carrier.
Okay, just to clarify, I did not break any laws/jeopardize the careers of any of the FA's because I am above the age of majority in HK even though I'm not under US law since CX is registered in HK?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:22 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hl176
Okay, just to clarify, I did not break any laws/jeopardize the careers of any of the FA's because I am above the age of majority in HK even though I'm not under US law since CX is registered in HK?
I wonder if you look young plus you might have seemed to be drinking at a high velocity made the crew come up with a "reason" to stop serving you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.