Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

At gate Upgrade clearing/timing question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM

more out of curiosity I'm trying to figure this out.

This morning (yesterday? Idk I'm still flying). My first flight out the upgrade list (myself included) cleared about an hour or a little more from departure, I noticed on the seat map in the app for that flight there appeared to be F seats open.

The next flight, I was playing the team board last game and gate agent said she couldn't clear the "one available" seat until t-30. On that flight the seat map for F appeared full.

Whats the difference? It's probably simple but with my simple brain I'm missing it
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
As far as I can tell, upgrades at the gate are pretty much whenever the gate agent gets around to it. I'm assuming that part of it is because there's stuff in the background related to getting the flight out that needs to be done and there's a lot of variables on the timing of all of it.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
T-30 is the check in deadline at most airports for domestic flights, so waiting until then for someone who has purchased a FC ticket but not yet checked in is certainly appropriate. It would similarly be the deadline for a last minute ticket purchase, due to the check in requirement. On some routes, DL probably sees last minute ticket sales frequently.

When upgrades are done at about the one hour mark, the GA might still be holding some seats back to clear later if they're not claimed. Much before an hour in advance of departure would probably be a case where the GA hasn't yet arrived at the gate, so perhaps the computer has cleared some people if revenue management has released some RU/OU inventory.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:58 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Could be as simple as whether the flight has completely checked in... if everyone checked in then UGs get processed.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

I have jfk-lax in a couple hours. I'm 1/2 for upgrade, says 2 available but seat map shows F/J in full. I'll see what happens!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by djmodifyd
Thanks for the replies!

I have jfk-lax in a couple hours. I'm 1/2 for upgrade, says 2 available but seat map shows F/J in full. I'll see what happens!
Seat maps show what sears are available for selection. This would include seats blocked but not reserved. I've seen this in coach. Not sure if I've ever seen blocked seats in FC.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:30 am

On a semi-related note, I've seen every seat in the app show as occupied, but the monitor at the gate show 2 or 3 seats available. How does that happen? Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dburns
On a semi-related note, I've seen every seat in the app show as occupied, but the monitor at the gate show 2 or 3 seats available. How does that happen? Thanks.
thats what I'm wondering as well
Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If somebody has a reservation but hasn't checked in, or is going to misconnect.
Or as mentioned if a seat is blocked and under airport gate control for some reason.

Generally if there are more seats available then you might clear earlier. If you're talking just a couple seats left then it the GA may wait until they start to board before clearing those.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rylan
If somebody has a reservation but hasn't checked in, or is going to misconnect.
Or as mentioned if a seat is blocked and under airport gate control for some reason.

Generally if there are more seats available then you might clear earlier. If you're talking just a couple seats left then it the GA may wait until they start to board before clearing those.
that helps. Thanks
My upgrade cleared about t-45 out!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by dburns
I've never seen that one in FC, but I see it in C+ all the time. AFIAK, they are blocking bulkheads or front-of-the-bus seats for special requests (such as disability or service dog).

As to clearing time, it seems totally arbitrary to me too. Some seem to clear whenever they get around to it, and other seem completely bound to some "time", whether it's T-30 or even T-10. Whenever they announce they are doing it that way they tend to imply they are bound to some kind of policy..
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA PS, VX, Natl EE, Hertz PC
Had a chat with a GA waiting for an RUC to clear at the gate when the seatmap was full for an LAX-RDU flight last year. They are usually tracking connections for passengers as well and can get an idea in a quick glance if any of the F passengers are going to miss the flight due to a delayed segment or missing the first flight, etc.

In addition, the 30 minute window is a good indicator. The boarding time that shows in the app is always T-40, but they are actually only supposed to start the boarding process at T-35. This varies for international and RJ flights, but in general you can expect that 5 min after the boarding process begins, seats may open up.

In any case, its always a good idea (and i've been pretty successful) to ask the GA what you should do if you are #1 or #2 on the upgrade list.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inthecloud
Had a chat with a GA waiting for an RUC to clear at the gate when the seatmap was full for an LAX-RDU flight last year. They are usually tracking connections for passengers as well and can get an idea in a quick glance if any of the F passengers are going to miss the flight due to a delayed segment or missing the first flight, etc.

In addition, the 30 minute window is a good indicator. The boarding time that shows in the app is always T-40, but they are actually only supposed to start the boarding process at T-35. This varies for international and RJ flights, but in general you can expect that 5 min after the boarding process begins, seats may open up.

In any case, its always a good idea (and i've been pretty successful) to ask the GA what you should do if you are #1 or #2 on the upgrade list.
I've started doing the last thing you said recently. If my upgrade hasn't cleared an hour or so out, I'll check in with the GA and kindly ask them what my chances are of an upgrade, and let them know I'm willing to hang out as long as they need as I'm in no rush (only carry on a backpack, never a suitcase so not worried about overhead). This seems to have help, maybe its placebo effect. I have also had a couple Team Board Last wins....almost had a LAX-JFK team board last win, but missed out by 30 seconds!
Old Mar 14, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM
I am currently sitting on DTW-SFO, and 4B is empty, I'm in 14E (757-300 so not really a middle). The GA came in and did a count right before closing the door, and didn't pull anyone up. Everyone had already boarded. I guess I learned my lesson about ignoring team board last when I'm very far down the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.