Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ThePointsGuy.com thinks UA is #2, also...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

...but in a good way - based on a variety of weighted factors (after Alaska):

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/0...oints-guy.html

Customer satisfaction is only weighted 10%, so it takes some bias out

Of course, the ranking would change if the weightings are significantly changed. Just one methodology's rankings...
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
The link to the TPG article is

http://thepointsguy.com/2017/02/best...airlines-2017/

The comments are pretty harsh for ranking UA #2. Another fun fact is the author is the same guy who writes the column Devils Advocate on Travel Codex
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
25% of the weight on price? 35% when you add in ancillary. Not saying it's right or wrong, but it is interesting. If I were helping one of my once-a-year flight family members, I would definitely look at price first.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Gotta question allocating 25% of the ranking to airfare. What that means is that DL, as the carrier with the best all around service, is harshly penalized in these rankings for being able to charge a premium for its product.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Gotta question allocating 25% of the ranking to airfare. What that means is that DL, as the carrier with the best all around service, is harshly penalized in these rankings for being able to charge a premium for its product.
Yep, they only got 2.5 points for airfare. WN also scored low on airfare, which bolsters my observation that they are often the most expensive (at least out of Chicago).
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
What that means is that DL, as the carrier with the best all around service, is harshly penalized in these rankings for being able to charge a premium for its product.
No, it properly lowers their ranking by removing their greater market power bias from their less-competitive network position. In other words, DL customers get less for more, and that's why their ranking for a value measure falls. \

It's a different way to rank, and it provides some valuable insight. Nothing's perfect though.

Last edited by minnyfly; Feb 27, 2017 at 4:51 pm
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
An interesting ranking to be sure. The reality is that each of the legacies have strengths and weaknesses. Honestly, it all kinda bets out in the end.

For example, I see so much complaining about international service here. I don't care. The only time I fly int'l is for vacation. I care a LOT about the domestic network getting me home at the end of a trip. That's the most important part.
For others, it's different.

Delta is useless to me. They don't have any schedule frequency that's help me get where I need to go. UA goes everywhere my customers are. So they win for me.

For others, it's a mess of CR2's on United, and I get why that's painful too.

So, like everything else you should put as much stock into this 'ranking' as you would my painting ability, for example. That's to say, none at all.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Kind of surprised at the ranking, not surprised that the commentariat there is roasting TPG and saying that UA bought him off. It's going to take a long time for UA's reputation to come back from what Smisek did to it.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Kind of surprised at the ranking, not surprised that the commentariat there is roasting TPG and saying that UA bought him off. It's going to take a long time for UA's reputation to come back from what Smisek did to it.
TPG is the most commercialized and industry friendly of the major blogs IMO. They're a bit cozy with their sponsors and not very critical of the stuff they are handed. Their recent puff pieces on Hyatt's new program are a good example.

Lucky and Gary and Seth are more likely to call it the way it really is.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:09 pm

Frequent traveler here, and I love UA.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Why should we recognize a travel blogger?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
TPG is the most commercialized and industry friendly of the major blogs IMO. They're a bit cozy with their sponsors and not very critical of the stuff they are handed. Their recent puff pieces on Hyatt's new program are a good example.

Lucky and Gary and Seth are more likely to call it the way it really is.
Yup, I avoid TPG as much as possible nowadays.

United is not great, but good enough when flying domestic economy. Whether it deserves second over American or Delta or even Southwest is quite subjective imo. Domestic airline experience seems to largely vary whether you are at an airline hub and flying a high revenue/competitive route (e.g. United's A320 flight between ORD-SFO had some really comfy seats for Y). Even at ORD, United gets some priority, but delays are expected and become an afterthought.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:38 pm
Suspended

The blogosphere is a bit of an echo chamber - "AA 8 SWU is amazing and won't ever start EQD, SPG Plat will be saved by Anbang, and Hyatt DSU / breakfast for 4 is all that matters, price point or footprint be damned"

in the end ?
- AA devalued itself down to DL levels, plus operationally the worst among US3 now
- SPG had to put itself on the auction block, and apparently, still humming along just fine even under the control of Bethesda MD
- Hyatt World of Hurt is having crazy qualification requirements without any footprint gain to compensate.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Why should we recognize a travel blogger?
All my kettle friends ask "Which travel blogs do you read?"

'FlyerTalk'
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Ranking and positioning are subjective. Business or pleasure, the primary airline in your local airport your status with a particular airline. And so on and so on.
Pick your favorite, build your status, and with some luck you will get compensated after getting the short end of the transaction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.