Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

"You earned it! TomMM, you've been hand-picked to enjoy an exclusive discount!"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Anybody else receive one of these? My first thought was "what does hand-picked" mean in the realm of today's technology?"
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I get hand picked at least once a week.

Today it was a 20% discount to hotels in Philly, Baltimore, or DC. OK, fine, if the discounts are real, off of the lowest otherwise-available rates, and don't have prepay requirements or unusual cancel rules. But even then...is it worthy of an email or the "hand picked" nonsense?

Do this enough and I start to think that any email from Hilton is essentially spam. There's a reason I mostly ignore email from airlines: I spot-check maybe 1 in 10 to see if there's *ever* a truly legit, gotta-buy-it-now sale fare. I'm starting to get there with hotels too. Eventually, I'll just give up on even spot-checking them.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
They've been sending these out for some time now. For example, see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...andpicked.html
I received one for last December that actually seemed to result in some true savings and was worthwhile, for the most part they haven't been.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
Today it was a 20% discount to hotels in Philly, Baltimore, or DC. OK, fine, if the discounts are real, off of the lowest otherwise-available rates, and don't have prepay requirements or unusual cancel rules. But even then...is it worthy of an email or the "hand picked" nonsense?
We got "hand picked" for the same destinations
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
We got "hand picked" for the same destinations
Same ones for me. Never been to the US in my life so lots of thought out into it
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chrism20
Same ones for me. Never been to the US in my life so lots of thought out into it
Ha. I actually thought *maybe* an algorithm really did "hand pick" DC for me since I have an existing reservation for there and I periodically re-run my search to see if anything better popped up.

But it's gone the other way: the city is now mostly sold out for my dates. I'm on the early end of the cherry blossom period (late March) and I suspect a lot of people who want to see that are booking rooms now that it seems highly likely to be an early viewing season. So the 20% off thing is going to be useless for me...
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: HH D
Ok... so it's not because I stayed before in a Hilton at all of these locations that I was hand picked out of sixty million HH-members? What a disappointment! (In Richmond VA, stayed at a Marriott Vacations Club - I already was wondering how they knew that.)
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Yes, handpicked for a stay in DC. It all seems a bit silly to me when they "handpick" someone for someplace they don't go to.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:52 pm
jrx
Hilton Contributor Badge

I have never, ever received a promotional email from Hilton, despite having that set as a preference. Honors is clueless as to why this is.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:45 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I too was "hand picked" today...Fortunately for me, I'm going to one of those destinations next week! Was surprised to see I could re-book my stay for $9/night less. That being said, the new rate is exactly the same as the current MVP rate. I had planned on rechecking the rate, as I always do.

Thanks for putting over $50 (post-tax) my company's pocket for no other reason, HH!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:28 pm

Have never believed in this handpick nonsense. OT, Agoda sends me an email EVERYDAY informing me the urge for a Today ONLY offer of 20% - 30%. How special that is.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20
Same here.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:56 pm
Suspended

I was also "hand-picked" for this, despite not having stayed in a Hilton for the past year and a half. And not having recently searched for any travel to the destination on offer. So it's apparently not that rigorous a selection criteria.

I was hand-picked for L.A. A place I genuinely dislike, and only stay in when I can't avoid it, or have a morning flight out of LAX.

Last edited by DeweyCheathem; Feb 27, 2017 at 9:38 pm
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
I got 20% off all of Asia
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
I was 'hand picked' for DC despite my location being Australia and having only stayed in Hilton properties in Asia and Europe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.