Dublin to Ibiza overcharging on ba.com

Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Dublin to Ibiza overcharging on ba.com

I've checked this on my work computer, via the app and also via my home computer.

Booking a Basic fare from Dublin to Ibiza shows €82 one way and €52 for the return. See?

When you click continue, lo and behold, the price is not €134, it's €171 - which is the price for a Plus fare.

Not particularly great at all really. I called BA to report it and the helpful agent said she could waive the telephone booking fee but the lowest she could see was €163. She was definitely not interested in doing anything about it and suggested a ticket had somehow broken the pricing and I should wait until tomorrow.

Considering DUB-IBZ still shows 0 tier points in the calculator and now this, you have to wonder about things. I pity the poor person who actually gets stung by this creative mathematics.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:35 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
New routes often lag a bit when it comes to addition of TP and avios details. It will be the usual short haul earning, so 5 TP for O class and 40 TP in CE.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:37 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
I'm really surprised there is no RYANAIR flight on this route, that must be a gold mine for them if they did it.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
New routes often lag a bit when it comes to addition of TP and avios details. It will be the usual short haul earning, so 5 TP for O class and 40 TP in CE.
Indeed. Thing is, the Avios show up in the calculator perfectly, not the TPs. It doesn't make sense as to why half the information is there. But then again...
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:39 pm

Oh and to answer your query, it seems it is quoting the Plus fare when you are actually selecting the Basic fare.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Indeed. Thing is, the Avios show up in the calculator perfectly, not the TPs. It doesn't make sense as to why half the information is there. But then again...
Probably because EI flew the route at some point which would have earned avios and no TP. It hasn't been updated for the new BA route yet.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by southsidesilver
I'm really surprised there is no RYANAIR flight on this route, that must be a gold mine for them if they did it.
There is, and it is. The Ryanair prices are much higher than the BA prices between DUB and IBZ. As an example, 13 to 16 May is €267.98 on a Low fare with no baggage and so on. It is often much higher - so yes, it is a gold mine for Ryanair.

Probably why BA considered it in the first place!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:43 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
There is, and it is. The Ryanair prices are much higher than the BA prices between DUB and IBZ. As an example, 13 to 16 May is €267.98 on a Low fare with no baggage and so on. It is often much higher - so yes, it is a gold mine for Ryanair.

Probably why BA considered it in the first place!
Guess I did mean for the OPS dates of travel. Did not show FR on his dates.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Oh and to answer your query, it seems it is quoting the Plus fare when you are actually selecting the Basic fare.
Which is what I wrote in my original post

Probably because EI flew the route at some point which would have earned avios and no TP. It hasn't been updated for the new BA route yet.
Very good, quite possibly it is this!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:35 pm

OP you can get the basic fare prices quoted, well, in your OP by booking as two one-way flights.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:41 pm

On the first page where you choose flights you will see this disclosure at the bottom of the page:

The prices shown are intended to help you choose your most appropriate journey. The exact total will be shown after you have selected your outbound flight and may be higher than the amount shown on this page.

My understanding of the reason for this is that the site (similiar to lots of travel agents/booking sites) at this point only checks availability at certain intervals.

Only when you continue to the next page where the total is shown is actual live availability checked hence the disclosure.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

I don't think so... at times when it says "4 seats available" and you book 1 of those seats, if you search immediately after it will say 3 seats available.

The availability is live. Either way, I have checked again this morning now that "overnight" has happened and the prices are still wrong.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've been having the same issue recently when booking flights between LCY and TXL: the total fare shown has been consistently higher than the sum of the two selected fares. The difference is always around €9, so it's not the Plus fare that is being shown, and persists even when I start over and select the flights again.

It's annoying but, as with most things on ba.com these days, I just put it down to poor IT and accept that BA will not be in a hurry to deal with it.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:01 am

[QUOTE=FlightDetective;27968015]I don't think so... at times when it says "4 seats available" and you book 1 of those seats, if you search immediately after it will say 3 seats available.

The availability is live. Either way, I have checked again this morning now that "overnight" has happened and the prices are still wrong.[/QUOTE

Ok but then explain why the disclosure would be needed then??
Old Feb 28, 2017, 4:16 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
With the sheer quantity of people booking BA flights, there will be multiple times a day where you click on 'book' to find the price increase as someone else has literally *just* nabbed the last O or Q class seats or whatever, so it prices what is available.

So the disclaimer is relevant even if the average BA traveller will never see this.

Obviously not happening in this case, which is an IT issue.

Can you not book 2 x one way fares and pay what's stated? What am I missing?

Also "Drinks and M&S food available to buy on flights to/from London Heathrow and London Gatwick" - so these DUB-IBZ flights will have free booze?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.