Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is There A Credit Card The Gives Upgrades Versus Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC

I was wondering if there was a credit card that offers upgrades (RPU or GPU) versus miles. I would tend to opt in that direction most of the time. I know I can upgrade with miles so I guess it depends on the earn rate. I would think the cost to UA would be less than miles as it's not potentially taking away a revenue seat. Just a thought.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:13 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
If such a thing were available, that would pretty much eliminate any incentive I would have to achieve elite status.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
You can earn miles with a credit card that you can use for upgrades. Unlike a GPU/RPU, you can actually just pay a co-pay to upgrade rather than needing to purchase in a specific bucket.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
I was wondering if there was a credit card that offers upgrades (RPU or GPU) versus miles. ....
no credit card provides this benefit.

Originally Posted by John Aldeborgh
..... I would think the cost to UA would be less than miles as it's not potentially taking away a revenue seat. ....
Any upgrade that clears in advance has the potential to remove a (higher_ revenue seat.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
More worthless RPU? If that card were offered (and it's not) I would not be interested!

OTOH, UA miles actually have value, especially for partner awards.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
Originally Posted by TA
If such a thing were available, that would pretty much eliminate any incentive I would have to achieve elite status.
Good point, this makes it difficult at best.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
I think it is telling that a 4MM/lifetime GS is the OP for this thread.

To me it indicates that what was a unique and differentiating program is no longer what is could be/should be. Yes, there are clearly positives and benefits in being GS but whether the current airline is thinking of how to improve the program so that the OP's post becomes irrelevant or the OP and other HVFs decide that perhaps earning status on other airlines that markedly improves their upgrades needs to be considered.

David
Old Feb 27, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
All of them, given how much UA pushes paid upgrades for kettles.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
The OP may be referring to the fact that you have to buy a higher Y/B/M fare to upgrade with a GPU. But those are still less than discount international business.

Anyway, no such card. Get miles from your card and look for R at booking. It is still out there.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
No CC gives upgrades. The only closest one is the Presidential plus which gives 2 RPU's at 75k FPQM. Or in terms 375k worth of spending.

Nor wil the Ritz card that gives you plat status for SPG give you the Plat award of SNA's.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
No CC gives upgrades. The only closest one is the Presidential plus which gives 2 RPU's at 75k FPQM. Or in terms 375k worth of spending. ....
To state a bit different for those unfamiliar with the PP card. The PP card ( a legacy card and not open to new customers) earns FPQMs (1K per $5K spend) and those can be used to earn status (when exercised) but not higher than Plat and not applicable to 1K status or earning GPUs or additional RPUs at all beyond 75K (and not applicable to OP).
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
You can earn miles with a credit card that you can use for upgrades. Unlike a GPU/RPU, you can actually just pay a co-pay to upgrade rather than needing to purchase in a specific bucket.
Of course, it should be stressed to those not familiar with M+ that a request for an upgrade using miles plus copay is just that -- a request, essentially a license to standby for an open J seat that much of the time either becomes open only just before door closing at the airport, or not at all.

Last edited by Starman; Feb 27, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Artpen100
The OP may be referring to the fact that you have to buy a higher Y/B/M fare to upgrade with a GPU. But those are still less than discount international business.
This is incorrect. Actually, W fare or higher for GPU on international routes. Y/B/M fares can get instant-ups on domestic flights, if PN is available.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by TA
You need to be 1K or GS to have GPUs or RPUs. Why should UA give away status?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by euslaner
You need to be 1K or GS to have GPUs or RPUs. Why should UA give away status?
Plats get RPU's.

Lots of wrong info being passed on in this thread. A post above was wrong fare classes required to use GPU's, someone already corrected that one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.