Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX Premium Economy actually makes flying 19 hours tolerable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat

Just flew LAX-HKG-SIN on CX in Premium Economy and I've got to say, for the fare premium between coach and premium, worth every single penny!

Granted, I'm also a OW Sapphire flyer, so I have additional benefits on the ground, which combined to make it a decently pleasant flight experience.

I found it really was the small things that made the flight easier. Lounge access to eat dinner in LAX before my flight and to shower too, business class check-in, business class boarding, then in flight, water bottles, hot towels, pre-flight drinks, the wider seat, the better recline, the legrest (bulkhead row), showering and eating breakfast in the Pier lounge, and then add in the 150% Elite Miles and 20% Elite Dollars earned on AA, I found it all combined to be an incredible value.

I think next trip, I'm going to do LAX-HKG-SYD on CX in Premium again, this time with longer layovers in HKG so I can go into the city to hang out at my cousin's house
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Would agree with you, having just done LON-HKG-LON in about 90hrs end to end on a work trip.

However I don't think their pricing makes sense at present, so brace yourself for fare increases. Without a Saturday night stay, PE was cheaper than Y whereas it probably warrants a premium of 50%.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
It's good to know that you liked it but just wait until (or did you?) get the FP greeting and the 'ooh and ah's for sapphire (okay, don't ask for it proactively)

Or hit OWE soon and you will think the lounge experience is phenomenal, especially for the ports that you flew (LAX HKG and SYD)

But........
for ex-HKG flyers, the premium can be up to 300-500%. Not so worth it but some (non-corporate) pax happily pay the premium, I guess YMMV.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:05 am
mxr

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Would agree with you, having just done LON-HKG-LON in about 90hrs end to end on a work trip.

However I don't think their pricing makes sense at present, so brace yourself for fare increases. Without a Saturday night stay, PE was cheaper than Y whereas it probably warrants a premium of 50%.
I'd argue that on such short trips (having done a 68h EU-TW-EU end to end trip recently), Y+J mix is is money better spent. Its basically the same price as PEY return if you compare I+V vs E booking classes.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:05 pm

So glad to see your post! I just purchased a ticket in PE for LAX to BKK and wondered if I will be able to use the Cathay Pacific Lounge. Do you know if that is the case? I just joined the Asia Miles program, but am not a member of Marco Polo Club. I can't seem to find out from CP's website. If you know, please post!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mxr
I'd argue that on such short trips (having done a 68h EU-TW-EU end to end trip recently), Y+J mix is is money better spent. Its basically the same price as PEY return if you compare I+V vs E booking classes.
No - I don't think you understand the scale of the discounting ex-LON

Booking 2 weeks out, I paid £875 for PE r/t without a Saturday night stay. Y was £900. J was well over £4000. So unless you can make £2500+ smaller than £875....
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by hot2trot
So glad to see your post! I just purchased a ticket in PE for LAX to BKK and wondered if I will be able to use the Cathay Pacific Lounge. Do you know if that is the case? I just joined the Asia Miles program, but am not a member of Marco Polo Club. I can't seem to find out from CP's website. If you know, please post!
PE doesn't entitle you to lounge access. OP can access the lounge as an OWS.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Just stepped off PE HKG - SIN this morning and I echo the sentiments. Good product for a conducive rest.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:06 pm
mxr

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
No - I don't think you understand the scale of the discounting ex-LON

Booking 2 weeks out, I paid £875 for PE r/t without a Saturday night stay. Y was £900. J was well over £4000. So unless you can make £2500+ smaller than £875....
Well in that case, thats an effin great deal. Nothing to be said about that.

Usually what I was talking about (ex germany) with a good deal I can find 1400 EUR for outbound I, return V. This often is the same price as PEY return for me.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: CX
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy
Just stepped off PE HKG - SIN this morning and I echo the sentiments. Good product for a conducive rest.
You're lucky they even maintained PEY on your flight!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by nolounge
You're lucky they even maintained PEY on your flight!
The early morning HKG/SIN flights are all on long haul aircraft and have PEY. I think it's because they pick up a lot of incoming North American flights which connect to Singapore.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
It's good to know that you liked it but just wait until (or did you?) get the FP greeting and the 'ooh and ah's for sapphire (okay, don't ask for it proactively)

Or hit OWE soon and you will think the lounge experience is phenomenal, especially for the ports that you flew (LAX HKG and SYD)

But........
for ex-HKG flyers, the premium can be up to 300-500%. Not so worth it but some (non-corporate) pax happily pay the premium, I guess YMMV.
I've actually flown on award F tickets before, so I've been to all the F lounges in LAX and HKG. On this last trip, I happened to be flying around the same time as my buddy who is OWE on BA heading to LHR, so he guested me in. I think the difference between the LAX OW F and J lounges are minimal aside from the better food.

In HKG, main difference are the sleeping rooms and massages in the F lounges. The new Pier J lounge is fantastic. On the return, I simply hung out at the Wing J lounge.

I'm quite content being OWS and I'd actually prefer 2 years of OWS versus one year of OWE. I actually pushed back this trip from last Nov just so I could have the miles count towards my 2017 AA EQMs, this is FT after all!
Old Feb 27, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
You only get lounge access if you hold a Oneworld Sapphire or Emerald card.
Joining the Marco Polo Club does not give you lounge access either.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 11:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

If you're US based, you might want to see if you can do an AA Platinum Challenge and then go mileage running quickly to achieve that. Once you have that, you'll be OWS and will then have lounge access.

My intent with the post was that Premium Economy in flight with OWSapphire amenities on the ground combine to make a decently pleasant journey.

Also keep in mind that for AA earning, E class is generally the cheapest fare that will earn miles (not the lowest fare class). This is because only Y/B/H earn miles in coach and those are generally quite expensive. E class earns 150% EQM and 20% EQD, which provides a nice 7.5:1 EQM/EQD ratio.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
My intent with the post was that Premium Economy in flight with OWSapphire amenities on the ground combine to make a decently pleasant journey.

Also keep in mind that for AA earning, E class is generally the cheapest fare that will earn miles (not the lowest fare class). This is because only Y/B/H earn miles in coach and those are generally quite expensive. E class earns 150% EQM and 20% EQD, which provides a nice 7.5:1 EQM/EQD ratio.
I've found you can "pimp your flight" even in Y, buying access to lounges and more- but you need a good "base" product to start. I've just done my 3rd LON-HKG-BNE and back in just over a year and Cathay is my current favourite over Emirates and Qantas. QF food has gone downhill with paltry servings and EK, better on the food and service, has crowded planes (yes I know CX is going 10 abreast on the 777s soon), but I dislike DXB as a transfer. HKG is far superior and the Premium Plaza lounge much much better than the Maharaba lounge (where showers are extra!). Through discount codes and cashback I got my priority pass for less than £11 a visit.

There is also a bit of arbitrage with mile earning in the Avios programme. All I'll say it's worthwhile joining all the airline schemes and the move points around as you need them and select carefully which airlines you earn your points on depending on the class of travel and points given.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.