Wiki Posts
Search

AS774 diverted to PIT

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
AS774 diverted to PIT

Waiting at EWR for nonstop to PDX (departure 3:55pm) however incoming was diverted to PIT. It appeared to circle two or three times and then instead of heading to EWR it turned around to go back to PIT. Why not continue on the same distance to EWR?

This does make for a strange new AS flight 774 PIT-EWR.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I seem to recall this happening before...
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I tweeted AS and Gabe said it was fuel related.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, Hyatt Globalist
I'm on AS774. We tried to get in to EWR (not possible with the weather), and then had to divert to PIT (after trying for JFK and BOS) due to low fuel. The pilot just announced there is a ground stop at EWR, so we're waiting to see whether we'll be able to take off at some point.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Cue the posts to add PIT as an AS destination.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Northeast weather is a mess today. AS32 (SEA-PHL) diverted to BWI as well. Ground stops currently in effect at IAD, BWI, PHL, EWR, JFK, and even TEB.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by DuckFlyer
Waiting at EWR for nonstop to PDX (departure 3:55pm) however incoming was diverted to PIT. It appeared to circle two or three times and then instead of heading to EWR it turned around to go back to PIT. Why not continue on the same distance to EWR?

This does make for a strange new AS flight 774 PIT-EWR.
Not even remotely strange if you look at the proximity and capacity of PIT. I'm not so sure that PIT is particularly far off the western edge of the holding pattern the aircraft was likely in. This allows it to hold longer and the longer it can hold, the more chance it has to make it into EWR.

Still a solid lousy 6 hour drive if things don't clear.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Northeast weather is a mess today. AS32 (SEA-PHL) diverted to BWI as well. Ground stops currently in effect at IAD, BWI, PHL, EWR, JFK, and even TEB.
Not really a mess. There was a front that dropped the temperature from 73° to about 50° F here in Philly with a reasonably impressive thunderstorm. (Unusual for February, but not at all unusual for the northeast in general.) It came through right at 5:00, perfect timing to disrupt the arrival of AS 32. But the nasty weather only lasted an hour or so.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Didn't find the exact thread I was looking for, but here's some other AS diversion threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...diversion.html

AS Flight Diverted

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...3-as2-pit.html
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:47 pm

A few flightaware.com AS diversions:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...755Z/KSAN/KPHL

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...630Z/KSEA/KBWI

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...615Z/KSEA/KPBI
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:45 pm

Programs: Alaska,National
Should I be worried about my Sunday morning flight from PDX to EWR? If it got diverted to PIT will AS have another plane on standby?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crowguys
Should I be worried about my Sunday morning flight from PDX to EWR? If it got diverted to PIT will AS have another plane on standby?
Not following. The weather front has moved through now, so why would you expect to be diverted. They diverted to wait for the weather to clear and to pick up some extra fuel. You remain on the aircraft while they get the extra fuel and await clearance for departure. There are no spare aircraft involved.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LBJ
Not following. The weather front has moved through now, so why would you expect to be diverted. They diverted to wait for the weather to clear and to pick up some extra fuel. You remain on the aircraft while they get the extra fuel and await clearance for departure. There are no spare aircraft involved.
I think the poster was incorrectly assuming the inbound for his/her PDX-EWR today was yesterday's EWR-PDX (which, though very delayed, arrived last night)? Today's PDX-EWR just left the gate a few minutes early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.