Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mattress run

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Mattress run

Based on my work travel this year I will only hit 30 nights at Hyatt. I would like to keep my Diamond (soon to be Globalist) status. I am thinking of booking myself in a cheap Hyatt Place and I can see that they offer 'long term stay packages'. My plan is to physically check in and then not sleep at the hotel for the next 30 nights due to the hotel being far from where I live. Based on your experience, how likely is that likely to succeed?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I would double and triple check to make sure that the long term stay package NIGHTS count as eligible. My guess is that if it is available on the website it should count - but again, I would triple check it.

Beyond that, I was thinking of doing similar, except for one week at a time using AAA rates.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dolceguess4
Based on my work travel this year I will only hit 30 nights at Hyatt. I would like to keep my Diamond (soon to be Globalist) status. I am thinking of booking myself in a cheap Hyatt Place and I can see that they offer 'long term stay packages'. My plan is to physically check in and then not sleep at the hotel for the next 30 nights due to the hotel being far from where I live. Based on your experience, how likely is that likely to succeed?
I think you would at a minimum have to explain to them that you might not be there every night . . . "I need a home base, but I will be traveling some while I'm here, so I may not be in the room every night."

Is top tier really worth $3000 to you? That sounds like a bad deal to me.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think you would at a minimum have to explain to them that you might not be there every night . . . "I need a home base, but I will be traveling some while I'm here, so I may not be in the room every night."

I have a few holidays planned to Asia including Tokyo and the suite upgrades would be of so much value for the whole family.

I am thinking of leaving some clothes in the room and also a suitcase. I will definitely mention to the front desk that I am travelling around the UK.

Just wanted to check with you guys if you think that will work?

Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:07 am

Let's do some math I travel to resorts and I want a room with a view. I also enjoy the club.

So if I calculate the difference in room cost + the value I place on the club ($35-$50 per day), it comes out to more than $3k. That's before the suite upgrades and other benefits are applied.

10 days in an ocean front suite in Hawaii more than covers the $3k.

Last edited by Mary2e; Feb 25, 2017 at 10:46 am Reason: to make it clear I was talking about myself as an example
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Do some math I travel to resorts and I want a room with a view. I also enjoy the club.

So if I calculate the difference in room cost + the value I place on the club ($35-$50 per day), it comes out to more than $3k. That's before the suite upgrades and other benefits are applied.

Yes I know how to do math, thank you for another insulting comment, you are really on a tear these days.

For me it does not come close to penciling out. Not even close.

I wouldn't pay $20 extra for a parlor suite at HR Waikiki, btw, and I detested GH Kauai.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:27 am

My goodness... I certainly was NOT insulting you, hence the winky. I was talking about doing MY math and used my stay pattern as an example.

For me, $3k is worth it. For you, it may not be. For the other poster, it may.

I suggest you chill out
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:27 am

$3,000 for top tier status could certainly be worth it depending on where you plan to stay over the 14 months you have Globalist status.

This said, I don't know why you assume 30 nights equals $3,000. If you booked with a Citi Prestige card and got each fourth night free you would only be paying for 23 nights. There are plenty of Hyatt properties well below $100.

Assuming you could find a property for $80 a night, the cost would be $1,840 (before any expenses getting to the property).

It is obviously too early to tell, but if Hyatt had another Stay More, Play More type promotion, the 30 nights would earn 75,000 bonus points. You would also earn 11,960 points for the stay.

Assuming you value Hyatt points at 1.5 cents that is worth $1,304 so the net cost is a little over $500.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by speedytimmy
This said, I don't know why you assume 30 nights equals $3,000. If you booked with a Citi Prestige card and got each fourth night free you would only be paying for 23 nights. There are plenty of Hyatt properties well below $100.
A word of warning about those free nights... I would swear I read that the free night does not get counted as an eligible night. I did a search and can't find it, but this is another case where I would triple check to make sure it counts.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Venturing out and exploring different properties might be priceless :-).
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:15 am

And I have. I just used it as an example because hotel prices in Hawaii are pretty steep, particularly for ocean front.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by speedytimmy
$3,000 for top tier status could certainly be worth it depending on where you plan to stay over the 14 months you have Globalist status.

Assuming you could find a property for $80 a night, the cost would be $1,840 (before any expenses getting to the property).

It is obviously too early to tell, but if Hyatt had another Stay More, Play More type promotion, the 30 nights would earn 75,000 bonus points. You would also earn 11,960 points for the stay.

Assuming you value Hyatt points at 1.5 cents that is worth $1,304 so the net cost is a little over $500.
Excellent post speedytimmy. This thread could be retitled "Freeloading Globs" and make WoH very upset for defeating the purpose of the new program.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:49 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by dolceguess4
I am thinking of leaving some clothes in the room and also a suitcase. I will definitely mention to the front desk that I am travelling around the UK.
So, if you're doing the UK, that means the cheap HP is near Heathrow, and I see it at GBP51 all in, lowest rate, so about US$64. That's under US$2000, so the "math" discussed above is slightly better. But still, many hotels won't let you just check in and leave for the entire stay. Most will check you out, penalty for not cancelling and no stay credit.

SO, you will need to talk with the FD Mgr at the least to work this out.

I agree it's a waste of time and money, but then, I've done it before. Just finished 16 nights on PointsBreak-5000 IHG pts/nt-at the HI Silom. We live nearby and go for massage near there, so we stopped by most days. Also, my Thai GF talked to the maid. IHG counts every night towards status so the 5000 pts comes to about US$30/. And, there is a bathtub in the room, so.....

Other than that, IHG top status (I know-not Hyatt,) has gotten us some great UPG's. So, you have to evaluate this based upon the benefits you perceive. There are plenty of weekends left this year, so you could plan a little family time at the HP instead.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:52 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by rbAA
So, if you're doing the UK, that means the cheap HP is near Heathrow, and I see it at GBP51 all in, lowest rate, so about US$64. That's under US$2000, so the "math" discussed above is slightly better. But still, many hotels won't let you just check in and leave for the entire stay. Most will check you out, penalty for not cancelling and no stay credit.

SO, you will need to talk with the FD Mgr at the least to work this out.
The original poster didn't give his location which would have made things a bit easier, but did mention traveling around the UK as the justification for the room not being used often.

dolceguess4, how hard/expensive is it for you to travel to Heathrow a few times? If it were me, I'd only do this a few nights at a time. And I'd also look at doing some mini-vacations during the year to reduce the number of nights needed for a mattress run.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I have to pre-qualify my statement by stating its Saturday night and I have had a few, but this seems to be in the theatre of the absurd. I fully understand mattress runs, but once you get over needing 10, let alone 30, pointless (aka throwing money down the toilet) stays, you may want to re-evaluate your priorities and spending habits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.