Wireless mouse not permitted in flight?

Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Wireless mouse not permitted in flight?

FA in international J insisted that a passenger discontinue usage of a wireless mouse during my flight yesterday. She cited the fact that it 'transmits and receives' and interferes with cockpit flight controls. She told the passenger to refer to the back of American Way. She then brought a second FA who verified her claims, and later brought over the purser who similarly agreed. She came back a third time and showed him something on her handheld. She was apologetic but firm on the policy the whole time. The passenger seemed to have accepted her rules and didn't really argue; yet the FA went above and beyond to justify her request.

Is this an actual AA policy or a misinterpretation of the rules?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:30 am

Bluetooth devices or any device that sends a signal are not allowed to be used in flight in the US. It is listed in the magazine for every airline in back where they go over electronic devices.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
FAs tell me that airplanes fall from the sky all of the time as a result cell phones which are left on during flight.. and near misses are largely a result of wireless headsets and mice.

Every FA is mandated to attend electronic interference school (EIS) at both boeing and airbus facilities before getting their EIS Certification.

I also heard that the wings can fall off if you flush a paper towel in the lav.

Please be very careful.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
In the UA thread, their policy was supposedly changed in 2015 to allow Bluetooth/wireless mice.

There is no actual mention of "Bluetooth" or mouse in the American Way (attached).
Attached Images  
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Bluetooth devices are most certainly allowed, otherwise every flight would have violators. Just think of all the bluetooth Fitbits/Watches...all the wireless headphones.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Bluetooth devices are most certainly allowed, otherwise every flight would have violators. Just think of all the bluetooth Fitbits/Watches...all the wireless headphones.
Just because a lot of people break a rule with impunity doesn't mean that they're not breaking the rule.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ROCAT
Bluetooth devices or any device that sends a signal are not allowed to be used in flight in the US. It is listed in the magazine for every airline in back where they go over electronic devices.
Hmmm... and those Wi-Fi / Internet enabled planes. Makes me wonder
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Hmmm... and those Wi-Fi / Internet enabled planes. Makes me wonder
Wifi is disabled below 10K feet. Bluetooth has limited range and is unlikely to interfere with aircraft systems. But is it really worth it to get into an electrical engineering argument with an FA over your mouse? I guess my attitude is that life is too short to get overly invested in "winning" these debates and that one should just move on.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
FAA clearly allows Bluetooth: https://www.faa.gov/news/press_relea...m?newsId=15254

Guess AA didn't get the memo. That said, I use BT headphones all the time on flights and nobody ever says anything.

Last edited by HofstraJet; Feb 25, 2017 at 9:36 am
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
So how is Bose still selling QC35s in that case?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
I've been told multiple times, across airlines, to put my wireless mouse away. I just gave up and now use a wired mouse on flights....
Old Feb 25, 2017, 11:41 am

Do y'all not have a mouse built in to your computers? Where are you getting these things?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by cyber1k
FAs tell me that airplanes fall from the sky all of the time as a result cell phones which are left on during flight.. and near misses are largely a result of wireless headsets and mice.

Every FA is mandated to attend electronic interference school (EIS) at both boeing and airbus facilities before getting their EIS Certification.

I also heard that the wings can fall off if you flush a paper towel in the lav.

Please be very careful.
That's the rules for AA. If you want the rules to change, sent AA some data to suggest they do so. A juvenile post on FT won't do it.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Do y'all not have a mouse built in to your computers? Where are you getting these things?
I've never seen a laptop with a built-in mouse. They typically come with trackpads, but some people prefer an external, hand held mouse.

​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rjw242
I've never seen a laptop with a built-in mouse. They typically come with trackpads, but some people prefer an external, hand held mouse.

​​​​​
​​​​​​

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.