Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SF Marriott Marquis vs SF Union Square

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I have searched for this comparison but have been unsuccessful. I have been at the Marquis several times but it's been a few years, the Lounge was small and always crowded. I hear they now have an M Club. Never been to the Union Square but I think location is a little better. possibility of upgrades is an important factor. I need advice/opinions.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I have never missed an UG at the Union Square FS, which is my favorite SF Marriott property. The UG is to a corner room with lots of light. You walk into a small foyer. The bathroom is directly in front of you. The bedroom is to the side. The bathroom is large with a separate sink area and it's own large window. I cannot remember the CL at all, so maybe I was there on weekends and it was closed. Either that or it's not great and it's not awful so I don't remember.

The location is better than the Marquis, which is at the bottom of the hill. The FS is a little farther up the hill, making for an easier walk no matter which direction you're headed.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The location is better than the Marquis, which is at the bottom of the hill.
Which location is "better" depends on where you want to be. The Marquis is on Market Street and thus much more convenient to BART, the Muni metro, Moscone Convention Center, Yerba Buena Center, and Westfield Mall. Many would consider that location much more convenient.

Also, not really accurate to say that the Marquis is at the bottom of a hill. Nob Hill doesn't really start until you hit Sutter Street, which is where the Marriott Union Square is located.

All that said, I'm not a fan of the Marquis. It's a large convention hotel.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Let me be clear, the SF Union Square Marriott has uncaring upper mgmt and as a lifetime Platinum member I will always tell everyone that.

I won't go into all the little details but I was planning to stay there almost a year ago and wanted a king room blocked away from the elevator and ice machine and any service elevator. Pretty simple request right, for a lifetime platinum member?? Not even a suite, just a regular king bed.

Anyways, spoke to the front desk agent over the phone who said they can't preblock a room(even though it was more than 6 days away). Then spoke to the Director of Operations after leaving numerous voicemails and no follow up. I had to call 4 times over a 3 day period before she finally took the call. She was unhelpful as well. Then I left numerous voicemails for the GM and again, he never calls me back. When I finally called and got him on the phone, he told me he was told about the situation but just hadn't had time to get back to me(2 days later)???

So I speak to him and he could not care in the slightest what I wanted. He says they have "limited" rooms that meet my request and they sell them for an extra $50 to people, so basically tough for me. It was ridiculous and he was not at all accommodating.

So you guys can draw your own conclusions but the lack of follow up, the lack of meeting a pretty reasonable request from a lifetime platinum member so they can make an extra $50 speaks volumes of the place. All my friends I told won't stay there because of that and I wanted to get it out there.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
I've stayed at both numerous times in the last few years, but have switched to staying primarily at the Marquis for several reasons:

1. The upgraded M lounge at the Marquis is very nice. One of the better food selections for a Marriott in North America. It's much larger/nicer than the one at Union Square.

2. The Healthclub has undergone a major expansion and makeover and is now very nice. Union Square's gym doesn't compare in size/facilities.

3. The location next to the BART stop makes it very easy to take BART to/from either SFO or OAK if you want to.

4. They upgraded the beds and linens. I had a GREAT sleep there a few weeks ago.

5. The rooms are generally larger than Union Square and there is a a lot more variety.

6. As a Platinum I feel as though I have a much better chance of getting upgraded at the Marquis as it is so large and has so many different room shapes/types. I have been upgraded to some pretty interesting rooms at the Marquis, but the best the Union Square has ever done is just put me in a standard room on a high floor.

All that said, the Marquis is definitely a lot bigger/louder and if you are there during a big convention upgrades will be in short supply. If you hate crowds and want personalized service, probably not the best fit.

Net/net I prefer the Marquis over the Union Square. If I want/need to stay in the Union Square area I prefer to stay up the hill a couple blocks at the Ritz.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Has the OP considered Starwood properties in SF? There are a bunch in the Union Square area and some of them are excellent and interesting.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by BillBurn
I've stayed at both numerous times in the last few years, but have switched to staying primarily at the Marquis for several reasons:

1. The upgraded M lounge at the Marquis is very nice. One of the better food selections for a Marriott in North America. It's much larger/nicer than the one at Union Square.

2. The Healthclub has undergone a major expansion and makeover and is now very nice. Union Square's gym doesn't compare in size/facilities.

3. The location next to the BART stop makes it very easy to take BART to/from either SFO or OAK if you want to.

4. They upgraded the beds and linens. I had a GREAT sleep there a few weeks ago.

5. The rooms are generally larger than Union Square and there is a a lot more variety.

6. As a Platinum I feel as though I have a much better chance of getting upgraded at the Marquis as it is so large and has so many different room shapes/types. I have been upgraded to some pretty interesting rooms at the Marquis, but the best the Union Square has ever done is just put me in a standard room on a high floor.

All that said, the Marquis is definitely a lot bigger/louder and if you are there during a big convention upgrades will be in short supply. If you hate crowds and want personalized service, probably not the best fit.

Net/net I prefer the Marquis over the Union Square. If I want/need to stay in the Union Square area I prefer to stay up the hill a couple blocks at the Ritz.
Thanks for the comparison. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I prefer the Marquis, as they are much better at upgrading me as a Platinum on one night stays. For late check-out, well, the Marquis has an 11am checkout as standard and I don't get much more than another 1-2 hours over that.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for very informative descriptions. I appreciate ir.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 12:29 pm

I am stunned at the answers. For me, the Marquis has always been a negative and the FS at Union Square the best. I may need to give the Marquis another try, given all the love shown here.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LTT + Ambassador
I am stunned at the answers. For me, the Marquis has always been a negative and the FS at Union Square the best. I may need to give the Marquis another try, given all the love shown here.
same here - i've always found the Marquis loud and crowded with conferences. I do like the JW at Post + Mason in addition to the Union Square Marriott.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 2:29 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The Marquis appeals to lounge hounds and upgrade aficionados. The JW and Union Square offer a more subdued experience.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
The Marquis appeals to lounge hounds and upgrade aficionados. The JW and Union Square offer a more subdued experience.
I've never gotten much of an UG at the Marquis. The Jr. Suite at the FS Union Square is one of my favorite rooms, in part because the bathroom is so separate and has natural light. The JW has given me a very nice suite UG a couple times to a room with a huge living room, good sized bedroom and a bathroom down a separate hallway, but I still like the Union Square FS a little better. Plus it usually has a better rate.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Has the OP considered Starwood properties in SF? There are a bunch in the Union Square area and some of them are excellent and interesting.
I am redeeming points before they get devalued further, after the programs merge I will definitely consider your suggetion.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:33 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I've never gotten much of an UG at the Marquis.
I've almost always been upgraded, including a "shaky" one on the day it opened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.