Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Missing a connection because of a medical emergency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

on flight from pSP to YVR, someone had a medical emergency resulting in return to gate. My family and i are going to miss our connection to YOW (last one of the day). What are AC's obligations? Will they cover a hotel room for us? Any flyertalkers in the know?

thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
I suspect the answer is a little bit of YMMV ... if you're an SEMM, AC may be more inclined to take good care of you, for example ...

And either way, AC should rebook you for a new flight in the morning; as long as you booked a single ticket from PSP to YOW, then AC will deliver you to YOW.

But the "On My Way" page provides a pretty good hint about the policy re: what else they will pay for.

Quote:
Complimentary meal allowance, hotel accommodation or ground transportation for ANY extended delay:

Without On My Way: NO; Standard service does not provide for additional expenses for disruptions outside the airline's control.

With On My Way: YES; Whatever the reason, our qualified On My Way agents will pull out all the stops to get you back on your way. And you can count on us to arrange for meals, car rental and hotel accommodations if you're forced to stay put. We'll even pick up the tab!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Can you fly YVR-YYZ-YOW instead?

I suspect they'll put you on 156 and some early Rapidair flight.

And given that there is a flight option that doesn't require a hotel, I doubt you could get one out of them.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:01 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Can you fly YVR-YYZ-YOW instead?

I suspect they'll put you on 156 and some early Rapidair flight.

And given that there is a flight option that doesn't require a hotel, I doubt you could get one out of them.
Or 182/8968 via YUL. 156 is zeroed out.

In other words, there is no reason for AC to put OP in a hotel if it can send them on a red-eye flight.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by D582
Or 182/8968 via YUL. 156 is zeroed out.

In other words, there is no reason for AC to put OP in a hotel if it can send them on a red-eye flight.
Haha you did a lot more research than I did

But yes, I suspect you'd be able to get a hotel if it were necessary, but to get from YVR to YOW, it is not.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

They have us staying in yvr for 4 hrs, red eye to yyz, 5hr (!!) stopover there and then yow by lunch. Awesome with a 4 and 6 yo... and a grand total of $10 pp in meal vouchers. Sigh.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by erolland
They have us staying in yvr for 4 hrs, red eye to yyz, 5hr (!!) stopover there and then yow by lunch. Awesome with a 4 and 6 yo... and a grand total of $10 pp in meal vouchers. Sigh.
So this is what Calin meant when employees should "Just do it"?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
All the YYZ-YOW flights tomorrow before 454 @ 2:10pm are either Y0 or Y1 so I guess that's why you're not on them given you have at least 3 people in your party. The situation isn't any better via YUL. When you get to YYZ, ask to be put on standby for an earlier flight.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks eigenvector - I will do that!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
So this is what Calin meant when employees should "Just do it"?
Indeed.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
If the red eye is to hard with young kids, get AC to book you out next day and get yourself a hotel. Lots of yvr airport hotels below $150/ night.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
What if you tell them that you will get your own room, because it is important to you that your kids get proper rest, and see if they can work something out for tomorrow?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

We thought we would try just making it home but now it would appear that they have us in 4separate rows but will "try" to accommodate us. Not much faith in that...!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC Elite 50K, Amex AP Plat, Choice Privileges, National Exec Elite, Via Prefrence
We thought we would try just making it home but now it would appear that they have us in 4separate rows but will "try" to accommodate us. Not much faith in that...!
If your kids are not a teenager, they will give you complimentary seat selection next to each other (only 1 adult). You have to have the agent notate your PNR though if you're planning on switching your flights later on.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kwflyer
If your kids are not a teenager, they will give you complimentary seat selection next to each other (only 1 adult). You have to have the agent notate your PNR though if you're planning on switching your flights later on.
gate agent was lovely. Fixed it up (can't complain *all* the time!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.