Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So when is BA going to fold?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

So when is BA going to fold?

Not an active poster, but read the BA forum on a daily basis. While BA has lowered their standard substantially in Y and they are behind when it comes to J hard product I still dont believe that it is game over for BA. Reading the forum over the past months you get a feeling that BA is about to fold due to all these changes. But to be honest, I have not noticed much change when it comes to load factors. The last 20-25 sectors on both long and short haul over the past months have been full, and have neither noticed lower prices which could explain the flights being full. It seems BA still continues to operate as usual with full flights in face of all changes and everyone here declaring it the end of the world.

Is the situation at BA really that dire that most on here make it out to be?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:48 pm

I don't think we really need another thread on the 'decline and fall'.

We have the IAG results discussion today on this very subject, not to mention Janice's dinner. There are plenty more threads out there too, as you know...
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: BA Oneworld
I think the overwhelming majority of BA passengers have never heard of FlyerTalk; what you read here is comment coming from a select group with a vested interest in preserving something that they cherish, and I'm all for that.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
I think the overwhelming majority of BA passengers have never heard of FlyerTalk; what you read here is comment coming from a select group with a vested interest in preserving something that they cherish, and I'm all for that.

That is what I thought. In the end, if BA dont notice a decline in passenger numbers and/or yields they are clearly the winners regardless of what a select group of FT members think. My firm belief is that in the next economic down turn the other major EU carriers will follow suit and start implementing some of the things BA have done, such as BOB if it has proven itself as a money maker without losing customers.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Oneworld
My personal belief is that I don't see BoB as a way to earn more income; rather it's a way of providing a meal service that is less costly than the previous free service. Only time will tell. I haven't seen any threads about how Gate Gourmet are reacting to this trend. I bet their managers are scrambling around to hedge their potential losses.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reality is there's still a company named British Airways. But the BA people around here learned to love over years, if not decades, has already folded. It's gone. And though I believe there will always be something called BA, it will never be the company the words "British Airways" used to evoke ever again.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Relax haha the worst that could happen is Qatar increases its stake to 100% who knows maybe it will be a better airline !
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:38 pm

High prices premium cabins and full planes= not anytime soon.

Last edited by Hannibal Lecter; Feb 24, 2017 at 3:45 pm
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
There's no reason for BA to 'fold' whatsoever, their most recent financial results tell you that.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I don't think we really need another thread on the 'decline and fall'.

We have the IAG results discussion today on this very subject, not to mention Janice's dinner. There are plenty more threads out there too, as you know...
+1.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I am also not for yet another 'demise' thread though 2 quick points from me.

FTers crying out about cuts does not mean the demise of BA - it could actually be the opposite from a financial point of view (though I do believe there comes a point when cuts have gone too far).

interestingly, this week a friend of mine travelled long-haul BA in Y and he had not done so in years (or possibly ever). now, his experience was enhanced on the ground by me having given him a Gold card so he sampled the lounge (but he did not receive any Gold treatment on board). his verdict - he absolutely loved it. loved the food, loved AVOD, loved it all. and this as on a 777 ex LGW. he loved it so much that he said he'd much more sceptical about my suggestion of an ex EU trip in WTP or CW for him in the summer as Y was perfectly fine.

which goes to show that whilst we may becry all the changes etc, Joe Public may still love their experience with BA.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There are other airlines that people can use should they choose to.

Often of better quality or lower price.

The days of blind loyalty to a single brand are over. Vote with your wallet. It's the only thing any business will understand.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by B747forever
In the end, if BA dont notice a decline in passenger numbers and/or yields they are clearly the winners regardless of what a select group of FT members think.
Well, despite your perception that yields are not down, the facts are that they are. The results released yesterday and for preceding quarters show a continued decline in RASK, so the maintenance of load factors is coming at the price of declining yield. However, BA is hardly alone among airlines in this at the moment, though the impression is that BA is suffering in premium cabins, hence the urgent need to play catch-up with the CW product.

BA isn't going to fold anytime soon, what it becomes is a different question.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:01 am

Programs: BA GGL
Never, really, because it has a monopoly by owning the most usable airports in the country's capital.

There isn't as huge a choice in carriers as people suggest IMO, but I'll be choosing alternatives where possible - both inside OWA (small things like Finnair is now preferable to HEL because I get a free drink as a Gold member, etc) and elsewhere.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They won't because they haven't stood still hoping the good times would come around again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.