Wiki Posts
Search

WTplus bulkhead seats

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, SPG, FFFWP
WTplus bulkhead seats

Picking seats for my LHR-ORD flight and Seat Guru recommends the bulkhead row of seats, but 4 of those seats are reserved for people with infants and 2 of them are already booked, which means I would have to separate myself and my travel partner. Does anyone know when they release those seats?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Assuming you don't have status on BA, then you will get the possible option of getting them at online check-in, 24 hours before departure. If you call 48 hours before departure, you may also get them, possibly, however in WTP it is also very possible that a parent and child will want that seat.

I wouldn't rely on seatguru, it has numerous errors in it, it is essentially an advertising sink site. thebasource.com is much better on the whole.

In particular, the idea that bulkheads are good in WTP is very much open to question - you should find a thread elsewhere in this forum relating to your aircraft type with more details - but essentially the design of WTP means you normally have more legroom away from the bulkheads, indeed some people strive to get the final row in WTP. You do get more kneeroom in the bulkheads though less legroom, but the spacing in WTP isn't as constrained as normal World Traveller / economy seating around the knee. The case for bulkheads is more for single travellers, rather than couples, since there is some possibility of the window seat person getting out without too much disturbance to the aisle passenger. But you're travelling in company so that doesn't really apply.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Oneworld
I love these seats and for my particular route GIG-LHR on a 777 they have always been released 3 days prior, but then we have status and can jump in and reserve them at the time they are freed. We are a family of 4 and take the entire centre aisle. On some aircraft the window bulkheads are exit seats so we can't get those as the kids are under 12.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, SPG, FFFWP
Thanks for the tip on BASource. Much more useful! I am still unsure about taking my chances with the bulkhead seats. I assume the video screen and tray table are in the armrest.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:59 pm

Yes, and that shaves about a centimeter off the width; I've never noticed this myself but I have a normal build. The advantage for me is the fact that no-one can recline their seat in front of you. Stowing the TV on take off and landing is only what happens in CW and first in any case, so no real loss of amenity with that. I would grab these seats if I were you!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
The video screen in the bulkhead seat is in the arm rest, in WTP on the 777 all the seats have the tray tables in the armrest
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:04 pm

Also, I forgot the mention that having the tray in the side arm, independent of the seat in front, means that when they adjust the angle of their pitch, your dinner is not affected by that action.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
Also, I forgot the mention that having the tray in the side arm, independent of the seat in front, means that when they adjust the angle of their pitch, your dinner is not affected by that action.
All WT+ seats have an independent tray table.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
Stowing the TV on take off and landing is only what happens in CW and first in any case, so no real loss of amenity with that. I would grab these seats if I were you!
This is not correct - the bulkhead tv screens (IE ones that fold away) need to be folded away for takeoff & landing.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:48 pm

Forgive the misdirection, but i was using the term colloquially, in the sense of merely something that also happens. I appreciate your alertness as, with hindsight, it is completely misleading.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
If one is quite tall, as mentioned, the bulkheads can limit legroom. I personally like them, since I don't like someone reclining in front of me (if I can help it).

The bassinet table can also be useful e.g. in putting one's finished meal tray on to get up and use the loo when others are busy trapped by their meals!

Anecdotally, my op-up chances seem to be higher when I'm in a bulk-head seat, but this shouldn't be a major reason to choose!

Downside: less time to use IFE compared with the regular seats, sl. less seat width. On most recent flight, I was unable to recline, and thought it was a seat issue, but apparently I didn't try hard enough!

tb
Old Oct 30, 2023, 8:11 am
Original Member

Hello all
I am very tall and able to select the bulkhead in WTP on the Boeing 789 (seat 16B) - does this have significant extra legroom? I am two metres tall so know some bulkheads are better than others!
Old Oct 30, 2023, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all
I am very tall and able to select the bulkhead in WTP on the Boeing 789 (seat 16B) - does this have significant extra legroom? I am two metres tall so know some bulkheads are better than others!
No. It actually has less legroom. But more knee room. I personally like them. But I'm only 5'10". I like the bulkhead window seat as it makes it easy to climb out without disturbing the pesron next to you.
OGG flyer likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I’m 6ft and find the bulkhead slightly limiting at night as I can’t quite stretch out fully. Good in the daytime though.
Old Oct 30, 2023, 11:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm 6ft 1 (1.84m) and I would avoid the bulkheads. You lose some leg room (but get the knee room), the seats are slightly narrower for the TV screen, a fellow heffalump may well be seeking to sit next to you, on some aircraft you lose the window, most aircraft you lose access to the front seatback storage and water holders. You do gain the bassinet table top but it's a bit high up, plus there could actually be a baby in residence......
LCSinTexas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.