Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Can I book flex and then call in and pay the upgrade to business?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Random question, I've got to book a trip to LAX for June, Dates are fixed and short of natural disaster nothign is changing these dates. Company is paying for flex and that's the receipt I will need to submit. Can I book flex and then call in and pay the upgrade to business? So I still have my original receipt to submit for expenses. I don't want to take chances on the LMU.

I've done this flight before in economy and it's a special kind of hell and if a couple hundred dollars buys my comfort and sanity so be it.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: TK *G
Yes. Call AC reservation.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Yes, no problem at all with the AC side. Only issue may be if your corporate travel agent controls the ticket, you may have to do the upgrade with them. Still should be no problem having them accept a separate credit card to pay the fee difference (I have done this many times with American Express corporate travel for example).
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ridefar
Yes, no problem at all with the AC side. Only issue may be if your corporate travel agent controls the ticket, you may have to do the upgrade with them. Still should be no problem having them accept a separate credit card to pay the fee difference (I have done this many times with American Express corporate travel for example).
That shouldn't be an issue, i book and pay for all of my own travel. I just wanted to make sure that it would be doable. I don't care about paying for the upgrade, I want to make sure I'm comfortable.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:53 am

I have done this in the past by submitting a screenshot of the price in Y and in J on the same day, then I booked the J ticket and they just re-imbursed the Economy price. I asked in advance and they had no problem, though it wasn't a particularly tough policy to start!

Dr. PITUK
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:36 am

You can also try this: Book the flight in Flex and before you make the payment you will have the flights and costs--print that page and then go back and book the business class ticket and submit for reimbursement.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, Marriott Platinum, MPC Green
Another option is buy the ticket on economy and cancel it within 24 hours. They refund you relatively quickly (and sometimes don't even charge if you do it quickly). That way, you have the receipt. I do it all the time. I didn't know about calling them and upgrading. I'll try it next time.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by escherfan
......I didn't know about calling them and upgrading. I'll try it next time.

@DaniGirl03 and escherfan

See this thread on "Upselling a Fare" on AC. Read posts 16-29

Change Fees for Up-fare
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
You won't have any trouble with AC doing this.

If you don't specify, the most likely way they'll do it is to cancel your flex booking and book a new J ticket. So your boarding pass ticket number will be different from the ticket number on your flex receipt.

If your employer isn't fussy, you'll be good to go.

But if your employer is fussy, make sure they do a change to the original booking rather than a cancellation-then-rebook.
According to some reputable sources below, what I wrote here is not accurate.

Last edited by zorn; Feb 26, 2017 at 11:49 am
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by DaniGirl03
Random question, I've got to book a trip to LAX for June, Dates are fixed and short of natural disaster nothign is changing these dates. Company is paying for flex and that's the receipt I will need to submit. Can I book flex and then call in and pay the upgrade to business? So I still have my original receipt to submit for expenses. I don't want to take chances on the LMU.

I've done this flight before in economy and it's a special kind of hell and if a couple hundred dollars buys my comfort and sanity so be it.
Wouldn't the difference be thousands, not hundreds?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Doesn't YXE-LAX involve at least one flight > 4 hours?

I concur that $200 is insufficient even if you have somehow booked into high-flex for a flight in 4 months. It's probably less depending upon whether your YVR/YYC/YYZ is a pod of course. Most are not.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by After Burner
Wouldn't the difference be thousands, not hundreds?
nope yxe to lax is $780 each way business. It's only a difference of a couple hundred each way to go from flex to lowest class paid business. LMUs that i've been watching are often more and not always available.

I'm not gonna stress about $4-500 when it comes to me functioning at me best and making more money when i'm there.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by 24left
@DaniGirl03 and escherfan

See this thread on "Upselling a Fare" on AC. Read posts 16-29

Change Fees for Up-fare
Your company may or may not care but IMO upselling is the way to do because many companies want the actual receipt of the item that was actually purchased for reimbursement, not just a receipt indicting what Flex costs but from a transaction that you didn't actually go through with or subsequently refunded.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA, AC
Originally Posted by DaniGirl03
nope yxe to lax is $780 each way business. It's only a difference of a couple hundred each way to go from flex to lowest class paid business. LMUs that i've been watching are often more and not always available.

I'm not gonna stress about $4-500 when it comes to me functioning at me best and making more money when i'm there.
Ah, for some reason I was thinking you were based at YYZ. I agree about spending $500-ish to avoid back cabin misery. $500 is basically just a rounding error.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Your company may or may not care but IMO upselling is the way to do because many companies want the actual receipt of the item that was actually purchased for reimbursement, not just a receipt indicting what Flex costs but from a transaction that you didn't actually go through with or subsequently refunded.
Exactly.

Also, when I "upsell" the fare, I have to pay for it personally. If I feel the difference is reasonable for the flight length, I will do it. I've also used my upgrades for the same reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.