Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Routing rule now that India & Middle East are separate regions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All

Since the separation of the Middle East and Indian Subcontinent, are the routing rule(s) for award travel through these regions changed?
Specifically, can award travel be booked for Asia regions to India on QR or EY (through the Middle East)?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:16 pm

No. And there is no reason why the region split would allow you to go the long way. India-E.Asia via ME doesn't make sense.

The only thing that has changed is that you can now do US-India on CX.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Feb 23, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
...but US-Asia via ME doesn't make sense.
I see no mention of it in the post.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
No. And there is no reason why the region split would allow you to go the wrong way around.

the only thing that has changed is that you can now do US-India on CX. India is almost exactly on the opposite side of the world so that makes sense, but US-Asia via ME doesn't make sense.
Why exactly does BOS-LAX-NRT-CGK make more sense as an allowed routing than BOS-DOH-CGK?

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=Bos-lax...gk,bos-doh-cgk

AA's routing award rules are mostly arbitrary bovine excrement. Must be a paid routing available for sale? Can't transit Peru to go to Chile? Have to say "Mother May I"? All just mostly arbitrary.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The rules are hardly randon

Generally comes down to
(1) cannot transit a 3rd region unless listed as a specific exception (using region definitions before the split of middle east/india )
and
(2) routing must be valid for a normal paid ticket of the governing carrier

Sometimes the system will also allow routings that do not completely meet (2) , but these are hardly aribtrary rules
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
If they aren't purely arbitrary, why could US issue oneworld partner tickets that totally flew in the face of those rules AA enforced?

I would say there's no particular technical reason for AA's rules, merely arbitrary ones of "because we said so". There is no real reason why a routing from the East Coast of the US to Indonesia is OK to go through LAX and Tokyo but not Doha (less distance) than "well, because we SAID so, those are the rules".
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
The OP asked a specific question: Can an AAdvantage Partner award from Asia to India route via the Middle East?

Can someone give the OP a definitive answer?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

And there is no reason why the region split would allow you to go the wrong way around.
?? The region split is what makes it a double back, when previously it wasn't, which is the nature of my question.
The obviousness of the change is that a 3rd region comes into play, but I have seen any specific notification as to how the separation effects routing in all circumstances. Without specific notifications, the default 3rd region would be in play, but absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

The other part of your post has been dealt with.

Last edited by LukeO9; Feb 23, 2017 at 10:29 pm
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:28 pm

Brain fart; I corrected my post. My essential point is still correct.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
The OP asked a specific question: Can an AAdvantage Partner award from Asia to India route via the Middle East?

I believe JonNYC gave a sufficient answer, but definitive would be good, rather than trying it out.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If they aren't purely arbitrary, why could US issue oneworld partner tickets that totally flew in the face of those rules AA enforced?

I would say there's no particular technical reason for AA's rules, merely arbitrary ones of "because we said so". There is no real reason why a routing from the East Coast of the US to Indonesia is OK to go through LAX and Tokyo but not Doha (less distance) than "well, because we SAID so, those are the rules".
They are not arbitrary because they are defined rather than random

As far as the orginal question goes, I would be surprised if it was no longer permitted since the region exception rules still , to best of my knowledge, act as they did before region split.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Feb 24, 2017 at 12:16 am
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by guv1976

The answer is yes.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LukeO9
Since the separation of the Middle East and Indian Subcontinent, are the routing rule(s) for award travel through these regions changed?
Specifically, can award travel be booked for Asia regions to India on QR or EY (through the Middle East)?
I had no issues booking an award flight last June of AUS-ORD-BOS-DOH-CMB (Colombo, Sri Lanka) on one award flying the Int'l segments on QR and domestic on AA.

Coming back I flew CMB-HKG-LAX-AUS on one award on UL, CX and AA respectively.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
My understanding is that, for 3rd region transit purposes, India & ME should still be considered as the same region. AFAIK, AA's computers still treat it that way.

India and ME were split when AA decided to allow a US to India award connect in HKG. They were fine with letting someone fly LAX-HKG-DEL, for example, but didn't want to also allow JFK-HKG-DXB. Also, now that UL is in oneworld, it makes more sense to have Sri Lanka as part of India compared to Asia 2, where it was before.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Rule Change?

Is this region split a new or recent change?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.