Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

First experience as SPG booking with Marriott

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:09 pm
J S
Original Poster

Yikes! I called Marriott to try to book a room with points. No availability after trying multiple dates and multiple hotels. The rep told me that they only release 10-15% of rooms for use with points. He also said it is hard to book luxury hotels (Ritz, JW, etc.) (This is just one phone rep, so he could be wrong.)

Does this jive with what other SPG members are seeing? I don't want to overreact based on one experience, but I also don't want to be the chump who stays loyal to Starwood, racking up points only to find them as hard to use as airline miles.

I guess I have been spoiled by SPG. I just put my SPG Amex card at the back of my wallet--no reason to add to my 450,000 points if it is going to be this hard to use them after the programs merge.

Please let me know if you see something different.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:26 pm

I've only booked twice with Marriott.

Once at a Courtyard in China. Once at JW in Singapore.

Both were with points. Both were wide open for booking with points, for my dates and around those dates. Easy peasy to book.

I think you shouldn't jump to conclusions just because the hotels you want aren't available for the dates you want. SPG hotels probably also release only a certain percentage of rooms for C&P.

To investigate this further, try searching up to a year out for one particular hotel, and then try again for another, if you haven't already done so. If you already have and can't find any, then it's probably hotel-specific.

Last edited by travelswithmyself; Feb 23, 2017 at 6:36 pm
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
SPG hotels probably also release only a certain percentage of rooms for C&P and Free Nights.
Cash & Points - probably limited inventory.

SPG Free Nights? As long as there is a standard room available for sale, it is available using points.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Cash & Points - probably limited inventory.

SPG Free Nights? As long as there is a standard room available for sale, it is available using points.
Ooops. Yep. Amended.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:43 pm

This is a little strange. Marriott usually has pretty decent award availability. Which hotels were you looking to book?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Why are you calling instead of just booking yourself online? I've also never had problems getting availability with Marriott points.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Discussions on Marriott Rewards available can be found ... wait for it ... in the Marriott Rewards forum..

Including this exact same discussion.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
This is the biggest downside to the Marriott program. Once the limited award rooms are gone, that's it. But I have found way more opportunities for BRG, so I haven't needed to actually use points yet.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 6:14 am

Of course what SPG does is make most rooms something besides Standard so they can't be booked.

Honestly I find booking rooms on SPG harder then on Marriott where I rarely have issues.

I just checked both chains for a weekend in London. SPG came back with one option. Marriott came back with about 10.

I also don't think the "once the limited rooms are gone, that's it" statement is 100% correct. I have been watching for what I wanted in Paris for while and "bingo" a few weeks ago the hotel opened up again after having been out of award rooms for a month or two.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:33 am
J S
Original Poster

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I have found SPG availability to be excellent. I can think of only one time that a Starwood hotel had rooms for sale but no award availability (they had 1 higher level room available and no points rooms--I can't really complain in that case). It is sometimes frustrating when I wanted a nicer room or a suite and it wasn't available for points, but there was still the option of booking a basic room.

My Marriott experience, while a very small sample--hence my request to see what others were experiencing--has been very different.

Has anyone stopped using their Starwood Amex card and shifted to a different card?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 7:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by J S
Thanks for the responses. I have found SPG availability to be excellent. I can think of only one time that a Starwood hotel had rooms for sale but no award availability (they had 1 higher level room available and no points rooms--I can't really complain in that case). It is sometimes frustrating when I wanted a nicer room or a suite and it wasn't available for points, but there was still the option of booking a basic room.

My Marriott experience, while a very small sample--hence my request to see what others were experiencing--has been very different.

Has anyone stopped using their Starwood Amex card and shifted to a different card?
The programs remain separate. I will continue to use my SPG American Express product.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.