Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is ExpressJet (United Express) still taking deliveries of ERJ-145's?

Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hertz, Hyatt, Hilton

Had an out-and-back yesterday, CLE-BOS, on an ExpressJet ERJ-145. It had been a while since I was on that bird, but it was just as uncomfortable as ever.

Out of curiosity, I looked up their fleet on wikipedia (yeah, I know), and noticed that the entry for United Express (ExpressJet) shows 29 pending orders, while the entry for ExpressJet does not.

I did some quick searching for more details, but couldn't find anything. Surely they are not still purchasing these? Has anyone read about their future plans? Perhaps a gradual shift to the -175?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
LOL no, they haven't taken a E145(XR) delivery in more than a decade. Nobody wants those barbie jets.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Didn't think that seemed right, but couldn't find any actual press releases about them receiving their last one.

Regardless, good news!
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hoi polloi

Didn't think that seemed right, but couldn't find any actual press releases about them receiving their last one.

Regardless, good news!
Why would an airline issue a press release celebrating their last delivery of an aircraft? Think of the message that sends if they announce they are not getting any more of an aircraft type. Ever. Again.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Is Embraer even making/selling E145s any more? As long as I get my exit row seat on the A side, I don't mind these planes for an hour or so hop. Much more comfortable than the CRJ100/200.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I don't get the hate on the EMB145s.

18A (what used to be 12A)...exit row seat, single seat. Great seat even at 2+ hours.

Sure, not a roomy cabin, but give me personal space anytime.

IMHO, save the hate for the CR2s.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
The CRJ200 is the Devil's chariot. I suppose the 145 might be his grocery cart...
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I don't get the hate on the EMB145s.

18A (what used to be 12A)...exit row seat, single seat. Great seat even at 2+ hours.

Sure, not a roomy cabin, but give me personal space anytime.

IMHO, save the hate for the CR2s.
+1. Even something like 5A is vastly preferable to anything in Y on a 737 or Airbus IMO.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The page actually reflects 29 ERJs that are coming off contract and leaving the XJT fleet. These frames are owned by UAL and are being placed with CommutAir. UA similarly moved a number of former XJT 145s to Trans States in 2015-2016 as they came off contract.

No new deliveries, just shifting existing frames around to different operators who will fly them for less money.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
LOL @ the CRJ200 being the Devils Chariot. I always called it the BadDreamliner. Personally, I'd rather fly in the EMB145, especially if you can score 18A, then a CRJ700.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Thumbs up

"BadDreamliner"^
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Is Embraer even making/selling E145s any more? As long as I get my exit row seat on the A side, I don't mind these planes for an hour or so hop. Much more comfortable than the CRJ100/200.
I wondered the same thing and then flew an AA 145 yesterday and the interior looked new. It wasn't beat to death like the UA ones, has new leather, no yellowed plastic and new carpet. Not sure if they had just refreshed the interior or what but it was clean and nice.

Seat 12A helped, too.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by findark
+1. Even something like 5A is vastly preferable to anything in Y on a 737 or Airbus IMO.
So, my problem is two-fold. First, these go mechanical ALL THE TIME. I fly them each week, often 3-4 hops. In or out of EWR, anything after the first flight is going to be delayed. Regardless of weather. Second...depending on the airport you fly into, you're adding another 10-15 mins onto the flight at the end when you're waiting in the jetway to get your bags.

Agree that the seats themselves on the A side are better than Y in a mainline, but only for short hops. Lack of any type of amenity (power, IFE, streaming, wifi), and a rapidly falling apart cabin in every bird does not lend itself to longer trips.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transportprof
Why would an airline issue a press release celebrating their last delivery of an aircraft? Think of the message that sends if they announce they are not getting any more of an aircraft type. Ever. Again.
I meant something like this (wish I would've found it before posting) - http://www.embraer.com/en-US/Imprens...XPRESSJET.aspx
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hoi polloi
I meant something like this (wish I would've found it before posting) - http://www.embraer.com/en-US/Imprens...XPRESSJET.aspx
You'll be happy to know that United (through its UX subsidiaries) is purchasing E175s to this day. A much improved successor to the 145s, although I do wish they'd replace all the CRJ200s first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.