Wiki Posts
Search

Lax-JFK upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM
Lax-JFK upgrade question

So, trivial here I know...but I'm curious.

Have a lax-JFK trans on next week, I applied an RUC, and have been waitlisted.

In the last 2 days, it has gone from 12 seats "available", to 1.

Are that many people buying last minute D1 fares, or are there other ways to upgrade? Not getting a FCM offer on my end at least.

Just curious, as this is a Tuesday night red eye, and I was thinking my chances were pretty good!
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:35 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by djmodifyd
Are that many people buying last minute D1 fares, or are there other ways to upgrade?
1. probably
2. mileage, but that comes out of the same inventory bucket

Although I also would've figured your chances were better on a Tuesday red-eye
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
If someone bought an expensive enough ticket, it is possible to upgrade with miles. However, there has to be space available for that kind of upgrade, which is different than medallion upgrade space. (Zorak may be right that it's the same upgrade space, but we agree it's not the reason the space is disappearing.)

Frankly, the above happening is unlikely. I think it is just people buying last minute and paying up for DeltaOne. Consider all the industry types who book last minute, and must arrive fresh in the morning.

It is also possible to pay a straight upfare into DeltaOne. That's not FCM, and isn't cheaper than just buying a DeltaOne ticket to begin with.

IMHO, you are just a victim of last-minute price-is-no-object business travelers.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
This route has a TON of paid J. Its not upgrades, they come out of the same bucket and its not FCM.

You need to keep in mind there are many corporate discount contracts on this route as well where businesses can have access to 20%+off business class issued with their in house travel service.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Bah humbug. Thanks for the responses!

Just checked, over 3k one way for D1. I need to work wherever they work!
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by djmodifyd
Bah humbug. Thanks for the responses!

Just checked, over 3k one way for D1. I need to work wherever they work!
Corporate Law and Investment firms, and banks I bet!
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:15 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Bowgie
However, there has to be space available for that kind of upgrade, which is different than medallion upgrade space. (Zorak may be right that it's the same upgrade space, but we agree it's not the reason the space is disappearing.)
Just to clarify, it's LAX-JFK, so the only upgrades are certs or mileage, which both come out of OP inventory. And we do agree on the latter point
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
It is also possible some DM's are using RUC's and clearing before you. This is the absolute best route to use an RUC on.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
It is also possible some DM's are using RUC's and clearing before you. This is the absolute best route to use an RUC on.
It's a little ways out for this, but don't forget the people who booked GAP tickets JFK/XXX/SAN (or wherever), who then SDC to JFK/LAX/SAN.

Not what happened here, but definitely happens DoD.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: DL DM Charter, 2.9MM; 2019 PM and falling; Kettle everywhere else
I generally don't have a problem using RUCs SFO-JFK. I realize your flight for next week is already booked. For future trips, can you take the quick flight from LAX to SFO and go from there?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
It's a little ways out for this, but don't forget the people who booked GAP tickets JFK/XXX/SAN (or wherever), who then SDC to JFK/LAX/SAN.

Not what happened here, but definitely happens DoD.
Wow, I never thought of doing that. I know FC can SDC to anything with inventory, but I guess I never realized you could do it to the JFK-LAX/SFO legs.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:20 am

And they're not paying anywhere near $3k for these tickets.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Many movie and TV actors, directors, producers, etc. would have premium cabin travel as part of their contracts.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lbcnu
I generally don't have a problem using RUCs SFO-JFK. I realize your flight for next week is already booked. For future trips, can you take the quick flight from LAX to SFO and go from there?
More than likely. Tip noted!
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Possibly, though I've been waitlisted for a month, and the C+ cabin is nearly empty, which makes me think it's a fairly medallion light trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.