Wiki Posts
Search

First First

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
First First

I'm flying first for the first time tomorrow using my avios points on a 789 (LHR > AUH). I usually travel WP+ and have a few times travelled CW after saving up points. Anything I should try? Things to make the most of the experience? I doubt I'll be travelling first anytime soon again

Thanks
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The AM departure means no lunch before hand, so get to LHR at a good time, enjoy a champagne breakfast (LPGS of course..) if that's your kind of thing and a leisurely lunch then snooze on board.

Enjoy
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Silver; Finnair Silver
I find that as an avios traveller you will not be treated quite as well as other pax but it's still a good experience. They know up front they you haven't paid the money I'm afraid xxx
Old Feb 21, 2017, 1:38 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by FiscalFlyer
I find that as an avios traveller you will not be treated quite as well as other pax but it's still a good experience. They know up front they you haven't paid the money I'm afraid xxx
I think you will find many will disagree with you (although you would think you would be used to that by now). Indeed CIHY posted something about this recently that clearly contradicts your claimed experience.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: BAEC: Gold, HiltonHonours: Gold
Do crew know how you 'paid' for the flight? why would they need to know?
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:05 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I am sorry, but this is utter rubbish. I can't say I have found any difference, and the CC who post here have said they don't care either.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Couldn't disagree more - had many F paid flights and F avios redemption - never treated any differently by the crew
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
OP there are several threads asking the same question as yours so do a search for 'first first' and you'll soon find them. There is also a piece in the dashboard about 'making the most of first'

As to you being treated any differently because you are using avios I'll echo the others who say it you won't be. Don't let someone who has a beef with BA put you off.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ChrisTheZulu
Do crew know how you 'paid' for the flight? why would they need to know?

Yes they do.

They sometimes need to know in case they run of of 1st choice meals and they then allocate them to those with higher status but other than that it makes no difference.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: BAEC, Etihad Guest, Platinum Tesco Tart
Whatever you do please don't do what I did and drink so many wonderful glasses of LPGS that you fall asleep and barely remember the trip.......
Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
This is fake news. Bad.

Over the years I've paid full price, done POUG, AUP, GUF, Avois redemption, and 2-4-1, and I have not been treated any differently regardless how I've paid, so jday I hope you have a fantastic flight (I'm ever so slightly jealous, want to fly on the 789 myself!) ^
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by SaraJH
Whatever you do please don't do what I did and drink so many wonderful glasses of LPGS that you fall asleep and barely remember the trip.......
All the more reason to book again...
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Originally Posted by Lucanesque
This is fake news. Bad.
This did make me laugh. Sad!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:19 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Echo many of the other posts. I have not found a difference in service specifically based on my route to get to the seat. Have had an assortment of WT+, J and F experiences based on corporate bookings for work, Op-Ups, companion vouchers etc.

I personally think the thing that makes the biggest single difference is the quality and attitude of the crew themselves. Not only can it vary, but it is also somewhat subjective insofar as some well intentioned crew may simply have mannerisms which you find more or less enjoyable to interact with. My first trip in F I found the steward attending to me quite irritating in his mannerisms, but nothing that was in any way his fault or at all reprehensible. I am just older and crankier these days. And equally I remember a trip back home in J from HKG a while back where I thought the lady serving me was the best flight attendant I had ever had and I ended up writing a letter to BA to thank them. And all she did differently was have a manner that I found easy to talk to, and knew something about a couple of the wines on the list. So it's somewhat pot luck I reckon.

Fwiw, I wasn't super bowled over by the CCR, but I think the first time I went it was just super busy for some reason, so I actually left and went to the GGR. 2nd time was with my wife and we had a very nice lunch.

My top tip though to make it really feel luxurious, if you're on a new plane with the new F, is to actually leave and go to the bathroom while they do the turndown service. Coming back to find the duvet all sorted out is a nice touch. But again maybe that's just me...

Most importantly - just enjoy...
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Flew LHR-HKG on a 241 in F, the Mrs told the crew it was her first and probably last F flight and they couldn't have been nicer or treat her better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.