Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Changing a ticket after departure will be cheaper?

Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:06 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob

I currently have a Business class ticket from VIE to HKG (via LHR). The departure is in April, and return in July. I would actually now like to return to ARN instead of VIE.

I called the BA Gold line to ask how much it would be to make this change, and it was some large amount like 350 GBP.

I have read elsewhere here that if I ring to re-route after the outgoing sector has been flown that it's possible that I can re-route with minimal change fees as they won't re-price the ticket then.

How likely do you think this will be?

My fallback is to just buy a VIE-ARN one-way ticket, but of course, if I can avoid it, that would be better.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Seems like they want to charge the standard change fee. Others on the forum will be able to give you info on specific fare rules if you post routing details etc, but largely as you say a full reprice won't be done if you change the booking once the outbound journey is flown.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Depends on the fare rules. However, typically fare rules may include a change fee, and also state:

Code:
 CALCULATION FOR REISSUES
          // CHANGES BEFORE OUTBOUND DEPARTURE //
          WHEN THE FIRST FARE COMPONENT IS CHANGED THE
          ITINERARY MUST BE REPRICED USING CURRENT FARES
          IN EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED.
          ---
          WHEN THERE ARE NO CHANGES TO THE FIRST FARE
          COMPONENT BUT OTHER FARE COMPONENTS ARE CHANGED
          THE ITINERARY MUST BE REPRICED USING HISTORICAL
          FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE
          OR CURRENT FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF TICKET
          REISSUE WHICHEVER IS LOWER.
          ---
          // CHANGES AFTER DEPARTURE //
          THE ITINERARY MUST BE REPRICED USING HISTORICAL
          FARES IN EFFECT ON THE PREVIOUS TICKETING DATE.
          THE NEW ITINERARY MUST MEET ALL RULE PROVISIONS
          OF THE NEWLY TICKETED FARE -I.E. ADVANCE
          RESERVATIONS/TICKETING DEADLINE/MINIMUM/MAXIMUM
          STAY/BOOKING CLASS/SEASONALITY/ETC-.
          DOWNGRADING IS NOT PERMITTED FOR ECONOMY FARES.
          THE NEW FARE MAY ONLY BE EQUAL OR HIGHER THAN
          PREVIOUS. ANY CHANGE WITHIN THE SAME TYPE OF FARE
          INVOLVING SEASONALITY OR DAY/TIME IS NOT
          CONSIDERED DOWNGRADE.
Changes after departure may therefore be cheaper since the reference is to historical fares. In both cases the change fee is payable though.

However, frankly based on the low cost you have been quoted to change (all or a large part of which may well be unavoidable change fee) I would just do it now for the sake of certainty. I doubt there is much fare difference being included atm.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:28 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Okay I know this is a noob question, but what is the best way to look up fare rules after a ticket has been issued? I do have access to expertflyer.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you know the fare basis, then enter your travel dates, routing, carrier, and date of purchase (which is in the past) into EF's fare information search, then find the fare there.

If you don't know the fare basis you may be able to guess from the fares found in the above search, but to be sure you should find out the exact fare basis from the airline or ticketing agent.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Just to add that if you use myflights you can usually see the fare code there, and the once you have it follow flatlander's advice on looking it up in EF.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:53 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Ah thanks - found it. Looks like there's a EUR 300 change fee. Will call again and confirm how much the re-routing actually costs. I didn't take down details last time because I thought it sounded expensive compared to the VIE-ARN one-way.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
If it's a €300 change fee then it's roughly Ł100 of fare difference.

While it's true that you will be able to change with a historical fare difference after departure:

1. Ex-VIE was historically very cheap so it's entirely possible that the fare difference to ARN was a lot more;
2. Getting that historical fare after departure will require I-class availability - easy if your trip is a month or longer, very tough if it's a few days.

So unless you're happy to fly HKG-LHR-VIE-ARN on separate tickets, or fly ex-LHR and take the chance on missing the final leg, both of which carry their own risks, the change looks like a very good idea.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by sxc
I currently have a Business class ticket from VIE to HKG (via LHR). The departure is in April, and return in July. I would actually now like to return to ARN instead of VIE.

I called the BA Gold line to ask how much it would be to make this change, and it was some large amount like 350 GBP.

I have read elsewhere here that if I ring to re-route after the outgoing sector has been flown that it's possible that I can re-route with minimal change fees as they won't re-price the ticket then.
If you're only changing from VIE-LHR-HKG-LHR-VIE to VIE-LHR-HKG-LHR-ARN, then it seems to me that you're unlikely to be saving any money by waiting until after departure to make the change.

The reason is this: If you make a change to the first fare component now (ie before departure), then you will have the entire journey repriced at current fares. However, the usual fare rules provide that if you make a change now that does not involve changing the first fare component, then you will be repriced using either historical fares or current fares, whichever is cheaper.

Your ticket is probably fared using two fare components: VIE-HKG and HKG-VIE. The change you want to make will probably result in you having a ticket fared using VIE-HKG and HKG-ARN fare components. In other words, you're not wanting to change the first fare component, and so if you make the change now you can be repriced using historical fares if that is cheaper than using current fares.

The change fee will always be payable, whenever you do the change.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
You can do this but be aware that the appropriate fare classes on your desired flights may be full by that time. For instance you may find on your desired flight the availability is J9 C7 D0 R0 I0. If you had purchased an I- fare, you could not use it on that flight. So you would have to pay the difference to upgrade to a C-class fare (at the historical price) and pay the appropriate change fee on top of the price difference.

So it can be a bit of a gamble unless you know it's a route where there are plenty of options.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:20 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I called BA up to check about the cost of changing this, and was quoted GBP 584. I think I'll just get the VIE-ARN one-way which will be around EUR 200.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:29 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Sorry to piggy-back on this thread, but I have a similar query.

I'm currently booked to fly MAN-LHR-DXB / AUH-LHR-MAN in WT+ (Selling class T). It would now be a lot more convenient to fly home from BAH rather than AUH. As it stands I will have to fly from BAH to AUH and have just 3 hours to pass through passport control and collect luggage in AUH, then re-check in for my flight from AUH-LHR-MAN. This doesn't leave any wiggle room in case of delays of the BAH-AUH flight. So. Before I call BA to ask (because FT usually knows best anyway), a) will BA make this change? and b) am I best to wait until I have flown to DXB before making the change?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by rhivolution
I'm currently booked to fly MAN-LHR-DXB / AUH-LHR-MAN in WT+ (Selling class T). It would now be a lot more convenient to fly home from BAH rather than AUH. As it stands I will have to fly from BAH to AUH and have just 3 hours to pass through passport control and collect luggage in AUH, then re-check in for my flight from AUH-LHR-MAN. This doesn't leave any wiggle room in case of delays of the BAH-AUH flight. So. Before I call BA to ask (because FT usually knows best anyway), a) will BA make this change? and b) am I best to wait until I have flown to DXB before making the change?
For the same reason as in the OP's case, if you don't change anything to do with the MAN-LHR-DXB and only change the inbound half, I think that you are likely to be re-fared using either historical fares or current fares, whichever are cheaper.

If you wait until you've flown the outbound half, then you can only be re-fared using historical fares. And by then, the cheaper booking classes may no longer be available (if they are still available now).

At any rate, the change is one that BA will almost certainly make as all WT+ fares are at least semi-flex in the sense that they can be changed in any respect on payment of the appropriate amount. You will pay the change fee come what may, plus any fare difference if the re-fare puts you onto a higher fare than on your existing ticket.

All of this is subject to the usual caveat about your exact fare rules, but it's been a long time since I personally have seen anything non-standard in WT+.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:05 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Lowly BAEC Bronze, VS, IHG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Thanks Globaliser. Appreciate the reply. I'll give them a call and see what the damage might be!

Cheers.^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.