Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Questions About Emirates First Class and Dubai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:28 am
Original Poster

I'm excited to finally be flying Emirates First Class next month on an Alaska award (JFK-DXB). After a 3-night layover in Dubai, I'll be continuing on to Cairo (also in EK F). This will be my first time in either country, and my first time flying Emirates.

Questions:

(1) Will I have trouble accessing the Emirates First Class lounges in JFK or DXB? I've read posts from 2015 that claim some passengers were denied access with Alaska award tickets because their booking registered as "staff" tickets, which do not qualify for lounge access. Has this computer glitch been rectified?

(2) I've also read horror stories about how strict U.A.E laws are with regard to drugs.
One guidebook claimed that a British tourist recently spent 4 years in jail because a microscopic trace of marijuana was detected in a cigarette butt that was stuck under his shoe. The guidebook went on to describe how undercover agents are dispatched all over the country to bust people that are even remotely associated with drugs. These agents sometimes subject suspects to random testing. It further warns that many common over-the-counter medications that are perfectly legal in the United States are illegal in the U.A.E. This could get an unsuspecting Westerner in trouble.
Now, I am not a drug user at all. But, how worried should I be, given that tiny traces of anything can get stuck on my clothes, or could be present in my hotel room without my knowledge?
Also, should I refrain from taking an over-the-counter sleeping pill on my flight to Dubai, lest I test positive for an illegal drug? Are these stories exaggerated? Methinks that everyone would be in jail in the U.A.E. if these stories were true.

(3) My DXB-CAI segment departs at 8:10 am. At what time does the world-famous Emirates First Class lounge open in DXB, and what are the food options there at that early hour? I am kind of disappointed that my flight leaves so early. It would have been delightful to sample this lounge later in the day, when proper dinner options would be available.

(4) I am a dual citizen (U.S. and Italy). Should I enter the U.A.E. (and Egypt, for that matter) with my American passport, or my Italian one? Are there advantages/disadvantages for either passport?

(5) Finally, as a Christian, what should I do during the Muslim call to prayer? I haven't been able to find information about this on the internet. Should I stand still? Kneel? Ignore it and continue to go about my business? I don't want to do something--or not do something--that will land me in hot water.

Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
1) Should be rectified from what I've read, whether that's good is a different question...
2) Chill. I've inadvertenly passed through DXB with a very illegal item prominently in my laptop bag (where I didn't know it was but would've been very obvious on an x-ray machine), and never knew I had until 2 weeks later unpacking my bag. No one noticed. I'm also quite certain DXB at the airport is in a mini world of tolerance given the people who pass through there. I'm not sure about clearing customs and entering the country. Don't be an idiot either way with some super obvious illegal substance
3) Lounge open 24/7, sit-down a la carte dining, you could order a dinner item at 5am I believe.
4) donno, don't think it matters in either country
5) nothing. "Kneel"?? are you serious? just go about your business, don't be offensive in doing so, just pretty much counts all the time though.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by joer1212
I'm excited to finally be flying Emirates First Class next month on an Alaska award (JFK-DXB). After a 3-night layover in Dubai, I'll be continuing on to Cairo (also in EK F). This will be my first time in either country, and my first time flying Emirates.

Questions:

(1) Will I have trouble accessing the Emirates First Class lounges in JFK or DXB? I've read posts from 2015 that claim some passengers were denied access with Alaska award tickets because their booking registered as "staff" tickets, which do not qualify for lounge access. Has this computer glitch been rectified?

(2) I've also read horror stories about how strict U.A.E laws are with regard to drugs.
One guidebook claimed that a British tourist recently spent 4 years in jail because a microscopic trace of marijuana was detected in a cigarette butt that was stuck under his shoe. The guidebook went on to describe how undercover agents are dispatched all over the country to bust people that are even remotely associated with drugs. These agents sometimes subject suspects to random testing. It further warns that many common over-the-counter medications that are perfectly legal in the United States are illegal in the U.A.E. This could get an unsuspecting Westerner in trouble.
Now, I am not a drug user at all. But, how worried should I be, given that tiny traces of anything can get stuck on my clothes, or could be present in my hotel room without my knowledge?
Also, should I refrain from taking an over-the-counter sleeping pill on my flight to Dubai, lest I test positive for an illegal drug? Are these stories exaggerated? Methinks that everyone would be in jail in the U.A.E. if these stories were true.

(3) My DXB-CAI segment departs at 8:10 am. At what time does the world-famous Emirates First Class lounge open in DXB, and what are the food options there at that early hour? I am kind of disappointed that my flight leaves so early. It would have been delightful to sample this lounge later in the day, when proper dinner options would be available.

(4) I am a dual citizen (U.S. and Italy). Should I enter the U.A.E. (and Egypt, for that matter) with my American passport, or my Italian one? Are there advantages/disadvantages for either passport?

(5) Finally, as a Christian, what should I do during the Muslim call to prayer? I haven't been able to find information about this on the internet. Should I stand still? Kneel? Ignore it and continue to go about my business? I don't want to do something--or not do something--that will land me in hot water.

Thanks
1. Can't Answer

2. Most people have no problems like this and must be extremely rare re the marijuana. As for your sleeping pill, I would compare it to the list of banned substances available for all just to be safe but if it's OTC sleeping pill then it's probably just diphenhydramine which is the most common antihistamine (benadryl)so very much doubt it would be on the list but never hurts to check.

3. First class lounge in open 24 hours (DXB is a 24 hour airport). F lounge has buffet items and a la carte dining so if you want non breakfast food you should have no problem ordering it. As an aside, people have been known to go the night before to spend hours in the lounge but I would not be one of them.

4. I can't think of any advantage to using one over the other as the visa fee (or lack thereof) is the same. I might use the same one to enter both countries just in case the immigration officer is looking for exit/entry stamps.

5. You do not have to anything during the call to prayer. Just go about your business. The only time of year this would matter would be during ramadhan but then the rules are different all day not just during the call the prayer, but this doesn't apply to next month.

Happy travels!
Old Feb 19, 2017, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Glad to hear that I should have no problems accessing the F lounges with my Alaska award ticket. It's bad enough that EK rescinded chauffeur privileges for Alaska bookings, which used to come standard with all F revenue tickets; it would be even worse to have to miss out on the EK lounge experience as well.

I guess I might have been overreacting to the drug horror stories, but you can never be too careful, especially when it's your first time in a Muslim country.

Diphenhydramine is exactly the over-the-counter drug that I was planning on taking to get some sleep aboard my 13-hour flight. I checked out the the list of controlled medicines in the U.A.E. (which is quite long), and I'm happy to see that diphenhydramine is not on it. It's nice to know that I will actually be getting some sleep on my flight:

http://www.uaeinteract.com/travel/drug.asp

I'm very pleasantly surprised that the Emirates DXB F lounge is open 24/7. Now, that's what I call service! I've never even heard of an airport lounge that stays open constantly. Most lounges I've been to open at around 5 or 6am and close at 10pm.

Good point about using the same passport to enter both countries, so that customs agents can see entry/exit stamps. I guess I will have to decide on my own which passport to use. But, FYI: My name in my U.S. passport is "Joseph", while on my Italian passport, it is "Giuseppe". This could pose a problem, especially if the agents crosscheck my boarding pass with my passport and notice this discrepancy. So, as of now, I'm leaning toward using my American passport.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 5:56 pm

What name did you book in? Use the passport that says that one.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Productivity
What name did you book in? Use the passport that says that one.
I always book with "Joseph" because all my credit cards are in that name. My U.S. passport also has the same name. That's why I've used it exclusively. In fact, I haven't got a single stamp on my Italian passport yet, though I've been looking for an excuse to make it useful.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:34 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Glad to hear that I should have no problems accessing the F lounges with my Alaska award ticket. It's bad enough that EK rescinded chauffeur privileges for Alaska bookings, which used to come standard with all F revenue tickets; it would be even worse to have to miss out on the EK lounge experience as well.

I guess I might have been overreacting to the drug horror stories, but you can never be too careful, especially when it's your first time in a Muslim country.

Diphenhydramine is exactly the over-the-counter drug that I was planning on taking to get some sleep aboard my 13-hour flight. I checked out the the list of controlled medicines in the U.A.E. (which is quite long), and I'm happy to see that diphenhydramine is not on it. It's nice to know that I will actually be getting some sleep on my flight:

http://www.uaeinteract.com/travel/drug.asp

I'm very pleasantly surprised that the Emirates DXB F lounge is open 24/7. Now, that's what I call service! I've never even heard of an airport lounge that stays open constantly. Most lounges I've been to open at around 5 or 6am and close at 10pm.

Good point about using the same passport to enter both countries, so that customs agents can see entry/exit stamps. I guess I will have to decide on my own which passport to use. But, FYI: My name in my U.S. passport is "Joseph", while on my Italian passport, it is "Giuseppe". This could pose a problem, especially if the agents crosscheck my boarding pass with my passport and notice this discrepancy. So, as of now, I'm leaning toward using my American passport.
​​​​​ ​​Chauffeur driven still comes standard with revenue F ticket. AS redemptions aren't revenue tickets.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 11:49 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
For your question 2, can you tell us what guidebook that was (so we know to avoid it)?

Follow the laws of the countries you are visiting. Don't draw attention to yourself (being loud, drunkenness, etc). Stay away from large gathering whilst in Cairo, especially on Fridays. Follow the travel advice that your government publishes. Respect and absorb the different cultures. And most importantly, enjoy yourself.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:47 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Diphenhydramine is exactly the over-the-counter drug that I was planning on taking to get some sleep aboard my 13-hour flight.
Sleep? Why waste that precious AS F redemption on sleep!?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:01 am

I always book with "Joseph" because all my credit cards are in that name. My U.S. passport also has the same name. That's why I've used it exclusively. In fact, I haven't got a single stamp on my Italian passport yet, though I've been looking for an excuse to make it useful.
Your passport name must match your ticket (it will be confirmed at check-in and if there is a mismatch you may be pulled aside by Group Security, or authorities which connect to EK via the API system may deny you boarding).
Old Feb 20, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by extramileage
Yup. Planning on watching movies and sipping Dom in my moisturizing PJs
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Saltire74
For your question 2, can you tell us what guidebook that was (so we know to avoid it)?

Follow the laws of the countries you are visiting. Don't draw attention to yourself (being loud, drunkenness, etc). Stay away from large gathering whilst in Cairo, especially on Fridays. Follow the travel advice that your government publishes. Respect and absorb the different cultures. And most importantly, enjoy yourself.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Thanks.

The book was Dubai City Guide by Andrea Schulte-Peevers
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
​​​​​ ​​Chauffeur driven still comes standard with revenue F ticket. AS redemptions aren't revenue tickets.
Let me fix that for you: Chauffeur service used to come standard with ALL EK F tickets (where available).

Last edited by joer1212; Feb 20, 2017 at 12:15 pm
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:52 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Thanks.

The book was Dubai City Guide by Andrea Schulte-Peevers
Just go and enjoy yourself especially First on EK . Remember, thousands of tourists go to these countries every day without incident.

Enjoy.

Safe & Happy Travels

S
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by extramileage
Well, it's an overnight flight that's 13 hours long. I don't want to arrive in Dubai so exhausted that it takes me 2 precious days of my vacation to recover. That would be counterproductive. After all, I can still enjoy the first 5 hours of the flight before dozing off, and then another hour or so before landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.