Wiki Posts
Search

HEL-AMS-HEL in AY C class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2002, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold
HEL-AMS-HEL in AY C class

Here's my first report. Last week I had a business trip to AMS. This was my first experience of AY e-ticket and e-check-in. The e-mail with the e-ticket information arrived 2 days before departure with all flight details and information on which seats were pre-assigned.

HEL-AMS, AY845, 13NOV, seat 01C, A320

During the morning I did the e-check-in at the office and it was very easy. I got the confirmation as an e-mail and a text message to my mobile phone. I also printed an e-BP.

At the airport, as I just had a hand luggage, I walked directly to the Silver Lounge. Security was rather tight as also here in Finland rules on sharp objects are being applied. At the silver lounge, I had time for a drink and I asked that my pre-assigned seat for the return would be changed from row 18 to somewhere more in the front. It is very usual that 75% of a AY plane can be C class.

30 min. before departure time I went to the gate where the A320 was parked. Boarding went smoothly with end rows first. The plane was almost 40% C class. After take-off, drinks were served (including champagne) as well as hot towels. The dinner was rather exotic even for a Finn: for a starter small lake fishes which remind sardines (and I don't know the name in English), duck breast for main and a sort-of-cheesecake for desert. Red and white wines were offered. Unfortunately no menus were available (usually they have them).

Arrival to AMS was on time and I went to the hotel (Hilton) by train and tram (the easiest and fastest way if you know how).

HEL-AMS, AY845, 14NOV, seat 09C, A321
After a day of business in AMS, I made my way early enough to Schiphol by train from Central Station. This time I had to go through check-in because the e-check-in is available only 16 hours before departure and I didn't have any chance during the day to log on the net (or to print the e-BP). The security line was very long and it took almost 15 minutes. There was a line for Privium card members, but it seems that there wasn't many Privium cardholders around, so the security staff at that line was just sitting there doing nothing. The lounge was also very busy with mostly AY, SK, IB and Alitalia passengers. I checked my e-mails and did some reading.

Soon, the passengers for HEL were told to go to the gate, which was the last one in the C-concourse (far away from the lounge). Boarding had not started, but passengers' BP's were already checked and all had to wait in a smaller area before the jetway was opened. The aircraft was a A321. When boarding was completed I managed to change to emergency exit row 8 for more legroom.

After departure drinks and hot towels and dinner were served. The dinner wasn't as impressive as in the HEL-AMS segment. From other C class trips I also have had the same experience that the Finnair "cuisine" departing from HEL is much better than for example departing from AMS or LHR. Arrival was also on time and nothing special happened. In both the A320 and A321, Finnish text-tv news were shown on the screens as well as some Simpsons and "Just for Laugh" programs.

As a conclusion, for me the Finnair European flights are usually a good experience. The only minus would probably be the FA's way of not smiling or talking too much (but that's the Finnish character).
Old Nov 22, 2002, 11:13 am

Thanks for this interesting report!

Tim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.